Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ricky Hatton will beat Manny Pacquiao.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ricky Hatton will beat Manny Pacquiao.

Calling it right now, it will be the upset of 2009.

I know Hatton struggles with southpaws, is easy to hit at times due to being overly ambitious, and seems susceptable to being rocked more than a rocking chair, but hey call me crazy.

I think a lot of people are really underestimating Ricky Hatton, and really overrating Pacquiao's victory over Oscar. Don't get me wrong, I think it was a great win for Manny, he was absolutely sensational, it just would of been nice to see a fresh Oscar in there. Weight drained or not, it's very apparent Oscar has officially gotten old. It's unfortunate, but sometimes fighters get old overnight, it's happened to countless of fighters. Although past his prime, against Mayweather, Mayorga, etc, Oscar still had that spark in his step and was still a very formible opponent for everyone. In 2006, 2007, Oscar was easily the best at 154. He was undoubtedly better than Karmazin, Ouma or Spinks (the top dogs at 154 at the time). In the Pacquiao fight it was blatently apparent Oscar no longer had that spark in his step.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand.

I think Hatton's going to have to give the performance of his life, he's going to have to give it everything he's got, commiting 120% of himself, and if he does that, I can assure you, that Hatton is a very live underdog. What people forget is that Hatton very fast on his feet, and Manny doesn't fight going backwards.

If Ricky is able with the new and improved head movement / defense contingent on Mr. Mayweather's training, I think he will be able to get on the inside often enough against Manny to really score some points. Despite looking good at 147, I really don't think Manny will be able to out muscle Hatton on the inside. In fact, I think Hatton is so much bigger and bulkier that he will be able to dominate Manny on the inside.

An interesting thing to note is that there seems to be a lot of doubt thrown around about both Hatton's and Manny's ability to take a punch. Fans in favour of a Hatton victory tend to scrutinize that Manny really hasn't been chin tested at these weight-classes yet. I whole heartedly agree. This is the fight that will test it. It would be extremely ignorant and overly optimistic if this wasn't a major concern for Pacquiao fans. Yes Manny has improved his defense over the past few years, he seems to have better lateral and head movement than he use to. He definitely keeps his hands higher than he use to at times. However Ricky is awkward, unusually fast, deceptive and creative in the ring. He's been able to hit, and hit hard everyone he's fought, except Mayweather. Defensively, Pacquiao isn't anywhere close to Floyd. I assure you, Ricky Hatton will hit Manny Pacquiao

To be fair to my objectivism however, it would be foolish to conclude that Hatton's chin shouldn't be a major concern of mine, or fans alike as well. Hatton is going to be hit, undoubtedly. He will eat some hard straight left hands on May 2nd. The question is, how will he handle it? Although I believe Manny has the ability and the power to KO Hatton, I think it can only be done in combinations as opposed to a single punch. Though still a good puncher, Manny has definitely lost his 1 KO power, and his fists seem to have lost their heaviness at these higher weight-classes. Sure he gave Oscar a black eye, but my 5 year old neice could've gave Oscar a black eye with the amount of punches he got hit with. Oscar didn't seem bothered by the actual power thrown behind those straight lefts (the hardest punches landed in the fight). With Hatton's quick and deceptive foot speed, and with his improved, although still not great defense, and awkward style, I really don't think he's going to be hit as often as some fans on this website think he is.

A lot of Pacquiao fans need to acknowledge that this fight isn't going to be fought at range will Pacquiao mercfully picks Hatton apart with combination punching, like he did with a helpless, stagnant Oscar. Hatton will dart in and eat some punches in the process, but he will either force Manny to fight backwards and off his backfoot (at least we can all agree that Manny isn't at his best when fighting backwards), or he will be in Manny's chest wrestling, and smothering him all night. What I found incredulous about the Mayweather fight was how Floyd was able hold is own (and more) against Hatton on the inside. He was able to do this, because I think Floyd is a lot stronger than people give him credit for. Floyd was strong enough to wrestle with Hatton, and at times when he wanted, to push him off to create a little distance to land short punches on the inside. I don't think Pacquiao will be able to do the same, I just don't think he's naturally big or strong enough to do so, and it's because of that I think Hatton will be able for the most part, dictate the pace AND the range of which the fight is fought at.

What makes this fight so intriguing is how will Manny be able to handle that type of pressure against someone so much stronger than he is, when he's been the one exerting the pressure his entire career.
    Last edited by deliveryman; 12-27-2008, 04:37 AM.

For some weird reason i think Hatton will be the favorite!

Comment

Originally posted by deliveryman View Post
      Calling it right now, it will be the upset of 2009.

I know Hatton struggles with southpaws, is easy to hit at times due to being overly ambitious, and seems susceptable to being rocked more than a rocking chair, but hey call me crazy.

I think a lot of people are really underestimating Ricky Hatton, and really overrating Pacquiao's victory over Oscar. Don't get me wrong, I think it was a great win for Manny, he was absolutely sensational, it just would of been nice to see a fresh Oscar in there. Weight drained or not, it's very apparent Oscar has officially gotten old. It's unfortunate, but sometimes fighters get old overnight, it's happened to countless of fighters. Although past his prime, against Mayweather, Mayorga, etc, Oscar still had that spark in his step and was still a very formible opponent for everyone. In 2006, 2007, Oscar was easily the best at 154. He was undoubtedly better than Karmazin, Ouma or Spinks (the top dogs at 154 at the time).

Anyway, back to the topic at hand.

I think Hatton's going to have to give the performance of his life, he's going to have to give it everything he's got a commit 120% effort, and if he does that, I can assure you, that Hatton is a very live underdog. What people forget is that Hatton very fast on his feet, and Manny doesn't fight going backwards.

If Ricky is able with the new and improved head movement / defense contingent on Mr. Mayweather's training, I think he will be able to get on the inside often enough against Manny to really score some points. Despite looking good at 147, I really don't think Manny will be able to out muscle Hatton on the inside. In fact, I think Hatton is so much bigger and bulkier that he will be able to dominate Manny on the inside. And perhaps maybe even win.

An interesting thing to note is that there seems to be a lot of doubt thrown around about both Hatton's and Manny's ability to take a punch. Fans in favour of a Hatton victory tend to scrutinize that Manny really hasn't been chin tested at these weight-classes yet. And I whole heartedly agree. This is the fight that will test it. It would be extremely ignorant and overly optimistic if this wasn't a major concern for Pacquiao fans. Yes Manny has improved his defense over the past few years, he seems to have better lateral and head movement than he use to. He definitely keeps his hands higher than he use to at times. However Ricky is awkward, unusually fast, deceptive and creative in the ring, and he WILL hit Pacquiao.

To be fair to my objectivism, it would be foolish to conclude that Hatton's chin shouldn't be a major concern of mine, or fans alike. Hatton is going to be hit, undoubtedly. He will eat some hard straight left hands on May 2nd. The question is, how will he handle it? Although I believe Manny has the ability and the power to KO Hatton, I think it can only be done in combinations as opposed to a single punch. Though still a good puncher, Manny has definitely lost his 1 KO power, and seem to have lost their heaviness. Sure he gave Oscar a black eye, but my 5 year old neice could've gave Oscar a black eye with the amount of punches he got hit with. Oscar didn't seem bothered by the actual power thrown behind those straight lefts (the hardest punches landed in the fight). With Hatton's quick and deceptive foot speed, and with his improved, although still not great defense, and awkward style, I really don't think he's going to be hit as often as some fans on this website think he is.

A lot of Pacquiao fans need to acknowledge that this fight isn't going to be fought at range will Pacquiao mercfully picks Hatton apart with combination punching, like he did with a helpless, stagnant Oscar. Hatton will dart in, he will get hit, but he will either force Manny to fight backwards and off his backfoot (and we can all agree that Manny isn't at his best when fighting backwards), or he will be Manny's chest wrestling, and smothering him all night. What surprised me about the Mayweather fight was how Floyd was able hold is own (and more) against Hatton on the inside. And he was able to do this, because I think Floyd is a lot stronger than people give him credit for. Floyd was strong enough to wrestle with Hatton, and at times when he wanted, to push him off to create a little distance to land short punches on the inside. I don't think Pacquiao will be able to do the same, I just don't think he's naturally big or strong enough to do so, and it's because of that I think Hatton will be able for the most part, dictate the pace AND the range of which the fight is fought at.

What makes this fight so intriguing is how will Manny be able to handle that type of pressure against someone so much stronger than he is, when he's been the one exerting the pressure his entire career.
      Thanks for your advice... But still Pacquiao would knock Hatton out..
      Doubt on Pacman is too much..

Comment

If the same Hatton that fought kostya Tszyu comes into the ring against pacquiao we will see Hatton win a TKO/KO victory.

Comment

I hope you are right!

Comment

Originally posted by Underdog82 View Post
            If the same Hatton that fought kostya Tszyu comes into the ring against pacquiao we will see Hatton win a TKO/KO victory.
            So you wanna see a wrestling match. Hatton is good, but he really needs to stop with the wrasslin'. Hatton has so much potential, but the wrasslin' really makes him excruciating to watch.

If I had to watch between Hatton's wrasslin' and Floyd Jr's one punch a round. I think I'd rather die.

Comment

Originally posted by MASGAGOMEXI View Post
              So you wanna see a wrestling match. Hatton is good, but he really needs to stop with the wrasslin'. Hatton has so much potential, but the wrasslin' really makes him excruciating to watch.

If I had to watch between Hatton's wrasslin' and Floyd Jr's one punch a round. I think I'd rather die.
              Ironically, that was a very entertaining fight between those two fighters you just mentioned.

Comment

Originally posted by MASGAGOMEXI View Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XX69...e=channel_page

Hatton did a lot more than just wrestle. This is a highlight video and is a little bias because it cuts out a lot of that wrestling, but regardless, Manny will have big problems if Hatton fights like this.

Comment

I think this fight is a toss up but I'm rooting for Ricky and believe he will pull it off in a close one.

Comment

to op: you are actually overestimating hatton and understimating pacquiao

pacquiao is the stronger, faster and the better boxer. i dont see hatton beating pacquiao. reach and jabs are going to play big in this fight too, hatton is lacking both

Comment

Working...
                    X