No announcement yet.

The young/prime Mike Tyson

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by joseph5620 View Post
    It's not really cliche when it actually happened.

Tyson was 23 years old against Buster Douglas and in his prime. I know I'll get countless excuses about how Tyson didn train but the facts are that it happened. Even if he didnt train that's a perfect example of how he lacked the same mental toughnes other champions displayed.

The first time Tyson fought somebody that actually punched him back without fear he folded. Nothing in his pre prison or post prison days demonstrated that he had the fortitude to fight through it without quitting, losing, or commiting ridiculous fouls. Tyson pity parties aren't going to change that fact.

Better yet, when was Tyson ever in a very tough fight that he fought through and won or even finished? Ali, Louis, Marciano,, and many other greats have a list of those type of fights. Tyson doesn't and that's a major factor in him being a frontrunner.
    Tyson was 29 against Douglas not 23. All the defense was gone by then... head movement/slipping of punches...bob and weave...and the cardio. Drugs became a factor...he didn't even have a real corner staff for the Douglas fight...they didn't even have an endswell...just a rubber glove filled with water. Tyson started to really on pure punching power and not much else. The Tyson in the video I posted was his prime. It's not that he was old at 29...he just was no longer really into it and without the support he had prior to the Don King era. He was messed up.

Comment

Originally posted by jaded View Post
      Tyson was 29 against Douglas not 23. All the defense was gone by then... head movement/slipping of punches...bob and weave...and the cardio. Drugs became a factor...he didn't even have a real corner staff for the Douglas fight...they didn't even have an endswell...just a rubber glove filled with water. Tyson started to really on pure punching power and not much else. The Tyson in the video I posted was his prime. It's not that he was old at 29...he just was no longer really into it and without the support he had prior to the Don King era. He was messed up.

I hate to say it, but he was 23-24 when he fought Douglas. Tyson was born in 1966. He was 20 when he won the title in 1986.

He would have been 29-30 when he lost to Holyfield the first time in 1996.

Comment

Originally posted by Sugarj View Post
        I hate to say it, but he was 23-24 when he fought Douglas. Tyson was born in 1966. He was 20 when he won the title in 1986.

He would have been 29-30 when he lost to Holyfield the first time in 1996.
        Right...I was thinking of Buster Mathis...not Douglas.
        Last edited by jaded; 04-10-2015, 04:03 AM.

Comment

Tyson could have been the GOAT

Comment

Originally posted by MrRolltide91 View Post
            Tyson could have been the GOAT
            i agree, But he is not....Your above quote could apply to many fighters over the years. Riddick Bowe springs to mind as does James Douglas & Sonny Liston....

Young 20-23yrs old Mike Tyson was an incredible physical specimen.

Comment

My personal opinion is that nobody could touch '80s Tyson. I just finished studying Tyson's career and before everything went to **** outside the ring the man was a marvel. Ali would have been on his ass.

Ali lost his first fight with Frazier, should have lost the second fight, and had Frazier's corner have waited until the last second before the 15th Round started, would have won. Ali didn't want to go back in while Frazier was trying to go back in.

Mike Tyson was Frazier only faster, stronger, and smarter in the ring. Say what you want but I've studied a lot of film and Tyson is the most gifted fighter I have ever seen. I would have rather seen RJJ at heavyweight in his prime fight Tyson then Ali.

Comment

Originally posted by PitbullParsons View Post
                My personal opinion is that nobody could touch '80s Tyson. I just finished studying Tyson's career and before everything went to **** outside the ring the man was a marvel. Ali would have been on his ass.

Ali lost his first fight with Frazier, should have lost the second fight, and had Frazier's corner have waited until the last second before the 15th Round started, would have won. Ali didn't want to go back in while Frazier was trying to go back in.

Mike Tyson was Frazier only faster, stronger, and smarter in the ring. Say what you want but I've studied a lot of film and Tyson is the most gifted fighter I have ever seen. I would have rather seen RJJ at heavyweight in his prime fight Tyson then Ali.
                You are very disrespectful to Joe Frazier here.. i would fancy 1968 Frazier to KO any version of Tyson be it 80s or 90s.

Comment

How am I disrespectful? I defended him and said he beat Ali three times not just once. Frazier is my favorite fighter but it doesn't change the fact that Tyson was superior.

Comment

How am I disrespectful? I defended him and said he beat Ali three times not just once. Frazier is my favorite fighter but it doesn't change the fact that Tyson was superior.
                    claiming Tyson to be "Smarter" than Frazier..Joe Frazier achieved just as much as Mike Tyson did in the sport of boxing. in fact Frazier is the guy who won Fight of the Century... To claim Tyson would steamroll Muhammad Ali is fanciful at best.. Mike Tyson never beat a single fighter who Muhammad Ali could not beat, yet Muhammad Ali beat fighters Mike Tyson could not beat.

Comment

I agree, and this should be rather obvious to anybody who have watched these fighters. Tyson had also better defense, and didn't have a "weak" hand, he had it all.
                      Last edited by jiopsi; 04-20-2015, 09:18 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X