No announcement yet.

Donaire vs Mathebula recap & RBR

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Donaire vs Mathebula recap & RBR

I felt this was a very close fight the first time round so thought I'd do a RBR as I wanted to watch some more Donaire footage anyway.

*Mutes Roy & Max's crazy commentary*

Round 1. 10-9 Donaire
    Round 2. 10-9 Donaire (continually loading up on his left hook over & over again - strong last minute from Mathebuloo but not enough to take the round)
    Round 3. 10-9 Mathebula - Easy enough round too score.
    Round 4. 10-8 Donaire
    Round 5. 10-9 Donaire (close round)
    Round 6. 10-9 Mathebula
    Round 7. 10-9 Donaire
    Round 8. 10-9 Mathebula
    Round 9. 10-9 Mathebula
    Round 10. 10-9 Mathebula (Round ended early with 30secs to go just as Mathebula was doing some real good work & snapped Donaires head back with an uppercut)
    Round 11. 10-9 Donaire
    Round 12. 10-9 Donaire

115-112 Donaire.

2012-07-07 Nonito Donaire vs Jeffrey Mathebula by ***********

I remember it was pretty close. That African dude kept jabbing him at will.

Comment

the fight you wanan watch is Donaire vs Navez

navez is a lefty with a ton of exp and am exp. nonito didn't land more thna tw clean punches all fight.

navez was a small guy moving up in weight also. nonito couldn't touch him

rigo is way faster, stronger, and a much better fighter.

nonito was also gassing hard in that fight and naves wasn't even landing. nonito expends tons of energy throwing his punches

rigo will drown em!

Comment

Originally posted by thuggery View Post
        I remember it was pretty close. That African dude kept jabbing him at will.

He did as bad as his technique is he boxed well and pretty smart. As much as I feel Donaire had little respect for his power his defense was horrific in that fight.
        I think at one point Mathebula threw a 7 punch combo and they was all on the money!

It was like he had no gameplan but to try land that one big left hook and eat a load of leather in the process.

Comment

I had Donaire winning by 1 point.

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleMM View Post

navez is a lefty with a ton of exp and am exp. nonito didn't land more thna tw clean punches all fight.

nonito was also gassing hard in that fight and naves wasn't even landing. nonito expends tons of energy throwing his punches

rigo will drown em!
            Problem with Narvaez was that he was not fighting. He went in to a shell as soon as he felt Doanire's power. His defense is A+ and all, but that's about it.

Comment

I think Donaire is an entirely different animal when he's either expected to lose or have a tough outing, but I'll never understand why he doesn't simply look to touch his opponent as opposed to loading up on one big shot at times. When you got that kind of power, simply touching the opponent alone would do damage. He has the right trainer to teach him how to walk opponents down too, maybe Donaire is stubborn.

That said I expect him to shine against Rigondeaux, the way he approached Montiel, Darchinyan it was with the kind of demeanor of lettin' the viewers know he's up there with the best of them. His performance against Nishioka is extremely underrated in my opinion, I don't think many know the difficulties he faced that night. Nishi had success landing huge counters, I was surprised Donaire wasn't shaken up by some of them, but it's like he knew what Nishioka was plotting, he fought a very smart fight there.

Rigondeaux needs to feint, make Donaire pull the trigger on that counter left hook and quickly counter in return, Rigondeaux has the tools to do that. Lets see if he'll make that his focus point.

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleMM View Post

rigo will drown em!

Yeah I recall him landing an extra nothing clean and people saying he was shelling up for most part (not surprising really given the massive weight & size advantage Donaire had) but he did a lot of subtle work.
                He was catching his left hook & coming off it with his own right hook.

The more I see of Donaire the least impressed I am tbh, I can not for the life of me see this guy even being competitive with Rigondeaux.

I think its another case of everyone loves a puncher! You've only gotta hear the crowd going absolutely insane over his big telegraphed shots & fancy leaping uppercuts that miss by a country mile.

I'll do a RBR and a more in depth look at the Concepcion fight next (when I'm more awake)

Comment

Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
                  I had Donaire winning by 1 point.

I could see that. I've watched it 3 times now, it was a close fight! You could maybe even argue a draw if you liked Mathebula's workrate.

I can not believe the judges scored this 119-108, 117-110, 118-109 talk about corrupt!

I'd love someone to sit these judges down & make them explain some of their scoring.

Comment

Originally posted by dan_cov View Post
                    I could see that. I've watched it 3 times now, it was a close fight! You could maybe even argue a draw if you liked Mathebula's workrate.

I can not believe the judges scored this 119-108, 117-110, 118-109 talk about corrupt!

I'd love someone to sit these judges down & make them explain some of their scoring.
                    Despicable scoring. It's like if Mathebula did nothing at all, he just went there to show up for a check when that was far from what happened.

Mathebula might as well have entered the ring, handed over the IBF title to Donaire, and leave before the first round. I mean those scores looked like if Donaire was already predetermined the winner of the fight.

Comment

Working...
                    X