Comment

Lomachenko - Great Amateur & Good Pro career so far

GGG - Great Amateur & Decent Pro career so far

Kovalev - Decent Amateur & Good Pro career so far

Beterbiev - Good Amateur & Average Pro career so far

Comment

Originally posted by yngwie View Post
        GGG:
        AMATEUR:He was a really impressive amateur, world champion and olympic silver medalist, his run at the 2003 world championship was one of the best i've seen, Lucian Bute, Matvey Korobov, Andy Lee, Yordanis Despaigne and also holds wins over Andre Dirrell and Daniele Geale.
        Pro:To be fair, Kazakhstan has a great amateur system, so i don't blame him for turning pro kinda late considering that really good pro offers to Kazak fighters didn't exist, actually, Vassily Jirov is the only famous boxer that ever came from Kazakhstan, he certainly has a dominant resume, with only 3 fights going the distance, his opposition whatsoever hasn't been as good as it should, on big part because he is avoided but on part because he was an undiscovered gem for most of his pro career, any other fighter today is destroying the competition at any level besides him.
        Skills:Gennady like almost any top amateur, has top skills, he isn't a pretentious wannabe fighter, he fights the way his talent and skill lets him, great at punch selection, great at cutting the distance, great body puncher, great technique, and if you watch his amateur fights, you can see him outboxing all type of fighters.

Lomachenko:
        Amateur:Vasyl is one of the best amateurs of all time, two time world champ and two time olympic champ and one time world silver medalist, with a record of 396-1 with that loss coming at the hands of the great Albert Selimov, loss that he avenged TWICE.
        He was the most dominant fighter in the world for years, barely losing single rounds, to be fair, the aiba loved him so he got the nod in every close fight he was (that weren't many), he owns wins over Oscar Valdez, Felix Verdejo, Jose Ramirez and this year two of the olympic champions in Rio were victims of Lomachenko, Concencaio and Fazzlidin, both at the world champs of 2011, he also won the Val Barker trophy in 2008.
        Pro:Lomachenko won his title in only his third professional bout, fought a ten rounder in his debut winning against a decent fighter in Jose Ramirez, has faced three world champs in 7 fights, two division world champ and will face a tough challenge in Nicholas Walters, what i like about Lomachenko is that he isn't afraid of anyone and really wants to make history in the sport, he really enjoys and loves boxing, we have hundreds or thousands of undefeated boxers, but how many of them had faced the tests of Lomachenko?.
        Skills:What hasn't being said about Lomachenko's skill?, he is one of the fighters that innovate, that you see and ask where you have seen that, but you haven't, he is fresh and unique, great at picking punches, fast, explosive, accurate, with great footwork and selection of angles, good body puncher, excellent defense, looks too good to be real.

Beterbiev:
        Amateur:Beterbiev was eliminated twice in the olympics (2008, 2012), he arguably won both times.
        Was bronze medalist and champion at the world championships.
        He is probably the hardest puncher in amateur boxing post 1992, i have never seen a fighter knocking down so many fighters after the incursion of the new gloves.
        Pro:He is unproven yet, looked dominating against not so good opposition, but with a lot of layoffs, he was tagged and knocked down in one fight, but that happens to a lot of good boxers.
        He clearly needs to fight more often since he isn't really young, but sure can be a world champ.
        Skill:He is a really skilled operator, knows how to work the body and how to use his combinations, is really strong and can cut the ring pretty well, also is a huge, HUGE puncher, but his opposition has making him a little messy with his defense, probably will become smarter when he steps up (but needs to do it).

Kovalev:
        Amateur:Kovalev was a decorated amateur in mid 2000's, fought in some decent duals on which Wilder also fought, but Beterbiev took his place in the olympic team.
        Kovalev was also knocked out by the olympic bronze medalist and two time world champion, Abbos Atoev.
        Pro:Kovalev is probably the purest puncher in boxing, with decent skill and patience he has a build respect among the fans and will become the best p4p fighter in the world if he can beat Ward.
        Skill:Kovalev surely has underrated skill, he possesses smart footwork, good feinting, good body punching, a lot of power and is good setting his power punches, he wouldn't have gone where he is without skill.

Good post (though I do not agree about the rank)..

Comment

Originally posted by HeadShots View Post
          Loma. Great skills. HOWEVER he has a kryptonite. his style CAN be smothered. He didn't have any answer for the Salido fight. None. None of the adjustments he tried worked. He needs space to operate. None of the fights he's been in since has shown me that Salido he faced wouldn't beat him again. let alone a prime one. someone who can actually match his footspeed to smother him.
          Wrong on all counts. A), he was fighting a guy who was practically a welterweight, B) was fighting a recent world champion in only his second pro fight, C) a guy who repeatedly hit low and was never penalized with points, D) Any fighter who fights that comp that early is going to adjust to the pro game and has shown more movement. I have 2K that says Lom would school Salido in a rematch. It would be the 13th round leaving off where Lom had Salido on his way to being knocked out. Schools and stops Salido with ease. Put the money up. 2 grand.
          Last edited by richardt; 10-13-2016, 09:58 AM.

Comment

GGG > Lomachenko > Kovalev > Beterbiev

Comment

1. Golovkin. Great amateur record, impressive KO streak, even if against some lesser contenders. Good complete fighter, whos only hole seems to be not the perfect defense. That however, often gives him openings for bigger shots against opponent. There is a reason the top MWs don't seem to want to fight.

2. Kovalev. I don't know much about his amateur background, but his pro resume is impressive. He knocks out almost everyone put in the ring with him. Good skills and a very good straight puncher with decent defense.

3. Lomachenko. Amazing amateur background with a short pro resume. That said, being a world champ in so few fights speaks volumes. This guy is for real. He has great talent.

4. Beterbiev. Honestly, I don't know that much about him other than what I've read on these forums. From what little I know of him, he does seem to have the goods and is a top fighter

Comment

I know Lomachenko is #1 in skill and amateur accomplishments. Pro achievements it would be:

Kov
                GGG
                Loma
                Beterbiev

imo

Comment

Working...
                X