Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Tyson In His Prime Debate. . . Acceptable?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bigjavi973 View Post
    That's mostly cuz he surrounded himself with people that weren't helping him whatsoever. He stopped pivoting, moving his waist, his head etc. He was being fed this thing that he was this unstoppable monster, so he barely trained because of that. Look at the way he used to fight. He wouldn't just walk right up to a guy & try to hit him. If I remember correctly, read that he even got dropped in sparring. Mix that in with drugs & women. He lost the Douglas fight (imo Douglas was down for 10 count).
    ^^^^^^ This

Comment

Originally posted by MPX309 View Post
      . . . But then that is on him isn't it? in all due respect. It's not like father time has made him a shell of his former self, but his own lack of discipline and misplaced focus.

He admits that he didn't train for BD, and things didn't really get much better after that.
      he was already declining in the bruno fight in 1989

Comment

Originally posted by Left Hook Tua View Post
        how many greats did roy beat?

mccallum was like 40 yrs. old
        hopkins wasnt really hopkins yet
        you gonna count tito?

toney but toney career was weird.
        mccallum was old yea but only like a year removed from being champion.
        1st one to beat toney. Griffin, Hill, Johnson was the IBF champ were all good wins.

Comment

Originally posted by bigjavi973 View Post
          mccallum was old yea but only like a year removed from being champion.
          1st one to beat toney. Griffin, Hill, Johnson was the IBF champ were all good wins.
          never said roy didn't beat a lot of good fighters.

Comment

I tend to agree with the Holyfield side. Holyfield was highly skilled, tough & had more resolve than any 3 early Tyson opponents. If they had fought as scheduled earlier in the 90's I tend to think Holyfield still wins although its a closer fight.

Lewis on the other hand I'm not so quick to agree with. Lewis got blasted a few times, once by a former Tyson sparring partner. I don't think I'd have as hard a time seeing Tyson being able to reverse their actual fight if Tyson was at his best & I think I'd lean towards that result.

Comment

Sadly we missed his prime.... His best years he was locked up

Came out of jail depending on his power....neglected his jab, wasn't quite as hungry, his team wasn't all that n his head movement was a thing of the past

Hate we didn't get holyfield vs Tyson 90-92

Both were closer to their best

Comment

Originally posted by imperial1 View Post
                Didn't prove much like Roy in the Ring

How do you become the youngest HW champion in the world and not have proved anything in the ring ? And he was undisputed Hw champ ..

As far as Roy really two time lhw champ ? Wins over hall of famers in Reggie Johnson,Virgil hill,Bernard Hopkins and James Toney .

What more should they have done ?
                Reggie Johnson is not (and never will be) in the HOF.

Comment

Working...
                X