Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Canelo was forgiving when he finally fought 3G..Will yall keep same energy with Keith

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ray* View Post
    What is there to forgive? I don't get it. Did he fail a drug test or something?
    This is what I was wondering too... Keiths a good fighter but he's has long time off. Isn't absolutely normal to have a tune up or two after that kind of lay-off?

Even if it weren't I think Keith still probably has as good a resume as anyone at 147 despite having 2 years out... makes you wonder what these other guys have been doing while Keiths been roaming the world with his flute and banging his pretty new Missus.

Comment

Originally posted by Koba-Grozny View Post
      This is what I was wondering too... Keiths a good fighter but he's has long time off. Isn't absolutely normal to have a tune up or two after that kind of lay-off?

Even if it weren't I think Keith still probably has as good a resume as anyone at 147 despite having 2 years out... makes you wonder what these other guys have been doing while Keiths been roaming the world with his flute and banging his pretty new Missus.
      Thats the thing, zero knock from me. And it should be like that to anyone. Like you pointed out, he has been away for two years injured. Let him have his tune ups and get back to where he wants to be.

Before he left he fought the better names and beat them, so let him get back in the mix, as there isn't an clear lead even when he was away.

Comment

Originally posted by Koba-Grozny View Post
        Do you have a bit more detail on these multiple offers? Ain't quite how I recall things going down. Way I remember it Canelo dropped his belt, giving the reason that he wasn't going to be be forced to the WBCs schedule, before any real negotiations took place although there had been the usual back and forth in the media. Further negotiations then ceased due - according to Oscar - to Canelo's unresolved legal problems with his former promoter.

Not quite sure the version of events you describe quite tells the same story as Oscar and Canelo did, so I'm wondering what sources you used?

As to demands for 50/50 there is this from late 2016:

http://ucnlive.com/tom-loeffler-expe...tful-2017-ggg/

...but i don't recall seeing any reports from 2016 that GGG was demanding 50/50 although it was a number of folk ran with that claim to blame Golovkin after Canelo said he wasn't going to be forced by the WBC into 'artificial deadlines'. Perhaps I missed some articles that show GGG demanded a half share?
        After the smith fight canelo and Oscar said they had already made a big offer to golovkins team a YouTube reporter asked Tom Loeffler if it was true about the offer and he confirmed it was true and that it was for more than 12 million that was rumored and about the 50-50 around that time ggg went on espn a los golpes and bernardo osuna asked him if it was true he requested 50-50 and he said for this fight to happen it needs to be 50-50 there was no public pressure put on ggg to drop that ridiculous demand

Comment

Originally posted by omh View Post
          After the smith fight canelo and Oscar said they had already made a big offer to golovkins team a YouTube reporter asked Tom Loeffler if it was true about the offer and he confirmed it was true and that it was for more than 12 million that was rumored and about the 50-50 around that time ggg went on espn a los golpes and bernardo osuna asked him if it was true he requested 50-50 and he said for this fight to happen it needs to be 50-50 there was no public pressure put on ggg to drop that ridiculous demand
          Can you link us in to that my man. I can't find any trace of that interview... doubt there would have been much public pressure if few people knew about it... damn I follow the news as close as anyone and I hadn't heard about it.

Either way Oscar still gave the reason for the cessation of negotiations as being due to legal problems, not the financial split.

What we do have is this from June 2016 indicating that fall 2017 was the GBP plan all along...

https://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/boxin...l?guccounter=1

"It would be great if we had some binding agreement, but we don't," he said. "I did meet with Golden Boy and they want to build the fight and shoot for the fall of 2017. From our side, we're going to continue to try to put together the biggest fights for Gennady. Both sides want to make the [Alvarez-Golovkin] fight, but it is a mischaracterization to say there is a deal."

Many within the sport regard it as the best high-profile match that currently can be made, and have for nearly a year. But a source told Yahoo Sports that though Alvarez defeated Cotto last year to win the linear middleweight title, he still doesn't feel fully comfortable at the weight. Both of Alvarez's middleweight fights have been held at a catchweight of 155, or a pound over the super welterweight limit of 154.

The 15-month delay of pushing the bout to 2017 will allow Alvarez to get comfortable fighting as a fully fledged middleweight and to help Golovkin build his name
          Furthermore even the '8 figure' flat fee offer made to GGG in September 2016 was for a fight in, yes, fall 2017.

Golden Boy CEO Oscar De La Hoya boasted at the post-fight press conference following Canelo’s win that he made an “eight-figure offer” to Gennady Golovkin promoter Tom Loeffler a month ago and never heard back for a fight next September.
          De La Hoya mapped out a schedule for Canelo to possibly fight in December in New York and again in May and then “the big fight” with Golovkin next fall.
          https://www.******.com/465555-oscar-...ure-offer-ggg/ (RING T V dated 18th September 2016)

So basically all sources point to Oscar and GBP wanting the fight to happen exactly when it eventually did, which makes it rather puzzling when folk keep insisting that somehow it was Golovkin that held it up despite common sense suggesting that the fight couldn't come soon enough for GGG as he neared his 35th year without a marquee name on his ledger.

Which is all cool. Alvarez, as both the challenger (having dropped the belt) and A side was absolutely within his rights, and (history has shown) probably wise to do as he did, but it doesn't really point the finger of blame at Golovkin as it appears you're trying to do.
          Last edited by Citizen Koba; 02-13-2019, 07:24 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X