Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What does your home (boxing) gym set up look like?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What does your home (boxing) gym set up look like?

So I can't commute to the boxing gym as much currently and will need to start setting my own stuff up for when I can't make the drive. The gyms/recs near by only offer a crappy bag or two and it's not worth paying for when I own better equipment. Right now I have two speed bag platforms, a 50 pound bag, 75 pound bag, 100+ pound bag, a double end bag, a bag stand (not a fan), and two standing wavemaster bags (not a fan either.) I'm staying with my folks for the time being and can't set it up in their garage but they have a large backyard with lots of patio space I can use, I'm not fond of doing my boxing stuff outside but I'm gonna have to get creative for now.

Feel free to post pics or descriptions of your home, particularly boxing, gym to get some ideas.
    Last edited by _original_; 02-29-2016, 09:14 PM.

Originally posted by _original_ View Post
    So I can't commute to the boxing gym as much currently and will need to start setting my own stuff up for when I can't make the drive. The gyms/recs near by only offer a crappy bag or two and it's not worth paying for when I own better equipment. Right now I have two speed bag platforms, a 50 pound bag, 75 pound bag, 100+ pound bag, a double end bag, a bag stand (not a fan), and two standing wavemaster bags (not a fan either.) I'm staying with my folks for the time being and can't set it up in their garage but they have a large backyard with lots of patio space I can use, I'm not fond of doing my boxing stuff outside but I'm gonna have to get creative for now.

Feel free to post pics or descriptions of your home, particularly boxing, gym to get some ideas.
    I was going to say ain't no way a chick is going to allow all that in the house or outside lol I had to pull teeth to get my girl to allow a pull up/dip station in our place and we have a basement! It's not even in the way lol. I can't help you on the boxing stuff, I only strength train, but I definitely recommend a pull up/dip station. They're only about $150-200 and it's given me great functional strength which I think will serve your purposes.

What state are you in? Can you train outside in the cold or is it always warm?

Comment

Last year I got a heavy bag stand that has a speed-bag platform on the back and set it up in the garage. A BOB dummy I use for working accuracy. I set up a spot for the double-end bag and slip bag. Aside from that, I just have a bunch of free-weights, kettle bells, a military type duffle bag that you put sand bags in (one of the best things I've ever bought), those stretchy bands, etc. I used to think I needed a bunch of machines and benches but I'm actually the best shape I've been in for a while just from using the basic equipment.

As far as what Blanco said about a chick allowing it, mine ENCOURAGES it. She like seeing me fit.
      Last edited by Redd Foxx; 03-02-2016, 07:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
        Last year I got a heavy bag stand that has a speed-bag platform on the back and set it up in the garage. A BOB dummy I use for working accuracy. I set up a spot for the double-end bag and slip bag. Aside from that, I just have a bunch of free-weights, kettle bells, a military type duffle bag that you put sand bags in (one of the best things I've ever bought), those stretchy bands, etc. I used to think I needed a bunch of machines and benches but I'm actually the best shape I've been in for a while just from using the basic equipment.

As far as what Blanco said about a chick allowing it, mine ENCOURAGES it. She like seeing me fit.
        How do you like the BOB? Theyre pretty expensive brand new so I was wondering if its sturdy and worth it...

Comment

Thats a nice set up! Maybe an uppercut bag?

Comment

that sounds good enough, but something easy to add to that is tying 2 ropes up (perpendicular to each other) around shoulder level to do rolling drills. im sure u know what im talking about haha.
            also tennis balls on hat seems popular...

Comment

Originally posted by Boxfan83 View Post
              How do you like the BOB? Theyre pretty expensive brand new so I was wondering if its sturdy and worth it...
              I've had mine for 14 years and it's still solid despite the dry AZ air. If you are mindful where you hit it you can apply decent power. They can break and some clown at my old gym wrecked theirs. For accuracy training, nothing comes close because striking the geometry of the human body and face is different than just swinging on a heavy bag. I love to pivot and move in front of it while working on alternating head and body strikes. Take care of it and it'll last you a long time.

Comment

Originally posted by El-blanco View Post
                I was going to say ain't no way a chick is going to allow all that in the house or outside lol I had to pull teeth to get my girl to allow a pull up/dip station in our place and we have a basement! It's not even in the way lol. I can't help you on the boxing stuff, I only strength train, but I definitely recommend a pull up/dip station. They're only about $150-200 and it's given me great functional strength which I think will serve your purposes.

What state are you in? Can you train outside in the cold or is it always warm?
                Haha I feel you my dude. The funny thing is I was just talking to my woman about hanging up one of my bags out in her lawn next to a huge tree for when I go over. She said yes, but didn't sound too convinced lol. Probably doesn't want her neighbors looking out and seeing a Mexican dude punching away on a bag outside lol. And yes, the punching bag stand I own does have the pull up/dip station which is sweet.

I'm in Colorado and luckily it's finally starting to get warm to train.

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post

What do you use that for? Would you mind posting a pic?

Originally posted by Boxfan83 View Post
                Thats a nice set up! Maybe an uppercut bag?
                Thanks man. Funny thing is I have purchased most of the stuff dirt cheap on craigslist. People typically buy punching bags/boxing equipment for a bunch of money only to never use it and have it sit in their garage until they sell the stuff for 20 or 30 bucks online, crazy.

Yeah that's a good idea, was actually thinking of having the small 50 pound bag hung up by the sides to work as an uppercut bag. Will post up pics soon.
                Last edited by _original_; 03-03-2016, 12:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by nivek535 View Post
                  that sounds good enough, but something easy to add to that is tying 2 ropes up (perpendicular to each other) around shoulder level to do rolling drills. im sure u know what im talking about haha.
                  also tennis balls on hat seems popular...
                  Thanks man, that's a great idea, it's the simple stuff that makes a difference. Old speed bag filled with sand hung up to work head movement is also a good and easy tool. Have you had luck with the tennis ball/hat thing? I've always wanted to make one.

Comment

Haha I feel you my dude. The funny thing is I was just talking to my woman about hanging up one of my bags out in her lawn next to a huge tree for when I go over. She said yes, but didn't sound too convinced lol. Probably doesn't want her neighbors looking out and seeing a Mexican dude punching away on a bag outside lol. And yes, the punching bag stand I own does have the pull up/dip station which is sweet.

I'm in Colorado and luckily it's finally starting to get warm to train.
                    Haha looking like you just out of the penitentiary after ten years
                    And right on, I love that pull/dip station. I used to strictly be about weight lifting but now I love those exercises and it's made me look even better.

Comment

Working...
                    X