No announcement yet.

Will Mikey be a case of Brook or Duran

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will Mikey be a case of Brook or Duran

I think Mikey knows something we don't. Duran carried his power when he moved up in weight even beating Barkley who had a monster physique in comparison. I think Mikey might actually carry his weight and be strong at 147. In the Garcia gym on the Sechbach videos they always say how Mikey hits so hard, even harder than Maidana, which if I remember correctly has been verified by sparring partners.

Notice in the fight last night it didn't even look like mike hurt Easter that bad, but then all of the sudden in the 7th or so he just got extremely more gun shy and defensive. Then in the post fight interview he said the shot that put him down wasn't the shot that hurt him. I suspect Mikey hurts people with things we aren't even picking up on watching, which may be another hands of stone type of scenario.

Many people when viewing the Spence fight dismiss it immediately due to size, as did I, especially after watching last nights fight. However, the more I think about it and try and see what Mikey sees I am coming around to the angle that he can make it competitive.

For starters, if you look at Errol Spences resume, I think Mikey can get through it undefeated, even versus Kell Brook (again this assuming he is strong still at 147). Then there is the part of styles, Mikey is a master at the traditional Mexican style. Speed and combinations would be a disadvantage to him stylistically imo. However, someone without superior foot speed will let Mikey dictate everything. This will allow him to use his superior timing which is really one of his best assets. If he can control the distance with Spence, and start timing him due to the lack of speed, we might have a fight on our hands.. Though, one can easily just take a step back and say hes fighting ****ing midgets and delusional.

With this fight we have the possibility of extremely different outcomes which makes it compelling. Will eating pizza and being so chill catch up to him? Leading him to step into the ring with a different type of animal and gets mauled and embarrassed, or is Mikey a true Mexican skilled goat about to really represent and prove himself...

On a side note how great would it be if Mikey just came in all juiced got that steroid strength coach Heredia and came in with a 6 pack after doing sit ups for the first time.

Duran threw tons of punches and was very hard to hit flush since he always rolled with punches. Mikey shouldnt fight spence. Spence is a clean living high character man. Easter is a clown like broner. When the going gets tough he mentally folds. Spence is a diferent monster all together

Comment

if mikey packs the weight on well then hes got a chance, cause i think hes a better all round fighter than spence. its far from mission impossible.

Comment

Mikey is way better than Brook but nowhere near Duran levels. Then again Spence is nowhere near the stratosphere of Leonard and might not even be as good as Golovkin. If Mikey gets in amazing shape and handles the power he could outbox Spence, who is a plodder with major flaws waiting to be exploited.

Comment

Why all of the sudden when presented with the pairing with Lomachenko is Mikey wanting to fight Spence? It could be that he likes his chances better against the bigger, slower opponents than Lomachenko.

Comment

Originally posted by SAINTSTEVE View Post
            Why all of the sudden when presented with the pairing with Lomachenko is Mikey wanting to fight Spence? It could be that he likes his chances better against the bigger, slower opponents than Lomachenko.
            Boxing politics. That Loma fight never happens....

Comment

Mikey is Brook in this situation. If he's lucky.

Comment

Originally posted by Mammoth View Post
                Boxing politics. That Loma fight never happens....
                I'm disappointed because I thought Mikey came back down to 135 not for Easter but for Lomachenko eventually. Now he seems inclined to head the other direction. This could go like Chico vs Clottey, or Broner vs Maidana, where you say why didn't he make a stop at 140 first? Or what made him think he could win this fight, at 147?

Comment

Originally posted by boxingenius002 View Post
                  I think Mikey knows something we don't. Duran carried his power when he moved up in weight even beating Barkley who had a monster physique in comparison. I think Mikey might actually carry his weight and be strong at 147. In the Garcia gym on the Sechbach videos they always say how Mikey hits so hard, even harder than Maidana, which if I remember correctly has been verified by sparring partners.

Notice in the fight last night it didn't even look like mike hurt Easter that bad, but then all of the sudden in the 7th or so he just got extremely more gun shy and defensive. Then in the post fight interview he said the shot that put him down wasn't the shot that hurt him. I suspect Mikey hurts people with things we aren't even picking up on watching, which may be another hands of stone type of scenario.

Many people when viewing the Spence fight dismiss it immediately due to size, as did I, especially after watching last nights fight. However, the more I think about it and try and see what Mikey sees I am coming around to the angle that he can make it competitive.

For starters, if you look at Errol Spences resume, I think Mikey can get through it undefeated, even versus Kell Brook (again this assuming he is strong still at 147). Then there is the part of styles, Mikey is a master at the traditional Mexican style. Speed and combinations would be a disadvantage to him stylistically imo. However, someone without superior foot speed will let Mikey dictate everything. This will allow him to use his superior timing which is really one of his best assets. If he can control the distance with Spence, and start timing him due to the lack of speed, we might have a fight on our hands.. Though, one can easily just take a step back and say hes fighting ****ing midgets and delusional.

With this fight we have the possibility of extremely different outcomes which makes it compelling. Will eating pizza and being so chill catch up to him? Leading him to step into the ring with a different type of animal and gets mauled and embarrassed, or is Mikey a true Mexican skilled goat about to really represent and prove himself...

On a side note how great would it be if Mikey just came in all juiced got that steroid strength coach Heredia and came in with a 6 pack after doing sit ups for the first time.
                  The difference between Mikey Garcia and Roberto Duran moving up in weight; Especially at the welterweight division was that Duran was actually able to bring his power up and hurt Sugar Ray Leonard. That was the major difference.

Now if Garcia can somehow bring some snap or pop to his punches at the 147 lb division as Duran did, then I would like his chances but if not then he doesn't stand a chance. Despite Spence being raw, green and inexperienced; He is yet still the naturally larger and stronger man with power.

If Mikey can't at least earn Errol's respect with his punching power, then he is going to be in some very deep trouble.

Comment

Working...
                  X