Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

In Hindsight, Should Kovalev have avoided Andre Ward?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

kov isnt the kind of man to avoid people

Comment

Originally posted by BostonGuy View Post
      In lieu of his most recent KO loss, I think Kovalev should have avoided Andre Ward.
      I disagree. Kovalev even said himself that he didn't train like he should have for Ward, even though he did try to blame that on JDJ. I think his big mistake was taking himself for granted and not properly training, while underestimating Ward. Also, his pride is too much for his own good. He should have taken a knee when Ward landed those questionable blows. Likewise, he should have tied Alvarez up, since he doesn't know how to back up after being hurt. I think being known as "Krusher" may have given him a false sense of invincibility.

Comment

Originally posted by SUBZER0ED View Post
        I disagree. Kovalev even said himself that he didn't train like he should have for Ward, even though he did try to blame that on JDJ. I think his big mistake was taking himself for granted and not properly training, while underestimating Ward. Also, his pride is too much for his own good. He should have taken a knee when Ward landed those questionable blows. Likewise, he should have tied Alvarez up, since he doesn't know how to back up after being hurt. I think being known as "Krusher" may have given him a false sense of invincibility.
        why would you underestimate the best guy you've ever fought? the one who beat you, if thats not too much of a coincidence.

Comment

Originally posted by DreamFighter View Post
          why would you underestimate the best guy you've ever fought? the one who beat you, if thats not too much of a coincidence.
          Ego, bro. He didn't believe he lost the first fight and he was not alone. Kovalev was saying he would end Ward's career before the rematch. Funny thing is, he kind of did, even in losing.

Comment

ok, but he didnt "underestimate" any of the others before that who were inferior - he just undestimated the best guy ALONE.

If he was the underestimating type, ingrained in his character, he'd have done it before the age of 33.

I think the evidence goes against that argument - the evidence is he was up against a true elite like himself that rare time in his career, although Pascal might have qualified as an elite previously (perhaps not at LHW).

Comment

I watched and enjoyed Sergey Kovalev's tremendous accent to the top of the LHW division. Kovalev was an absolute destroyer as he KO'd most of his opponents and developed an 'air of invisibility' like that of a young Mike Tyson. Kovalev was also a real 'bad a.ss' as he seemed to enjoy dishing out punishment to his opponents.

Then came Andre Ward. Before they fought, my gut told me that Ward would win via decision and that's exactly what he did.

In hindsight, was facing a prime Andre Ward the smartest career move for Sergey Kovalev? Perhaps, he could've faced Stevenson, Beterbeiv or some of the other top guys at LHW.

Right now, that 'air of invisibility' is long gone and Kovalev is not the draw that he once was, pre Ward.

In hindsight, if you were Kovalev's promoter, would you have still made the Ward fight? What could have been done differently?
              Why avoid it? I think he clearly won the first fight. No reason to have avoided the fight. He almost KO'd Ward as well.

Comment

I watched and enjoyed Sergey Kovalev's tremendous accent to the top of the LHW division. Kovalev was an absolute destroyer as he KO'd most of his opponents and developed an 'air of invisibility' like that of a young Mike Tyson. Kovalev was also a real 'bad a.ss' as he seemed to enjoy dishing out punishment to his opponents.

Then came Andre Ward. Before they fought, my gut told me that Ward would win via decision and that's exactly what he did.

In hindsight, was facing a prime Andre Ward the smartest career move for Sergey Kovalev? Perhaps, he could've faced Stevenson, Beterbeiv or some of the other top guys at LHW.

Right now, that 'air of invisibility' is long gone and Kovalev is not the draw that he once was, pre Ward.

In hindsight, if you were Kovalev's promoter, would you have still made the Ward fight? What could have been done differently?
                Well for starts he shouldn't have treated his trainer like crap. I don't like how Jackson responded but Kovalev was practically begging for it. He also should have been prepared to fight dirty. When you fight Ward the possibility of Ward resorting to dirty tactis is always present. Yeah he should have taken the fight. He also shouldn't have been an arrogant ass and a part time alcoholic. I never got what the fuss was all about with this guy.

Comment

yes he should have known he would be cheated. he took the money though

Comment

Absolutely fight Ward. Ward is one guy that regardless of how you feel about his style you have to recognize as a top level fighter and a pound for pound type of fighter. Kovalev could have just as easily won the first fight with three different judges. It was a good, competitive fight. The 2nd fight showed us what we have seen over and over again in boxing which is that the technician usually makes the adjustments and does better the 2nd time around. I gave Kovalev the first fight but fully expected Ward to win the rematch. The fact that Kovalev was stopped and looked mentally beaten is what ****ed him over. Ward is not a puncher and he bullied and stopped the bully. Kovalev's opponents have more hope now and Kovalev has less confidence. Plus he's older now. But that first Ward fight proved more than rattling off a bunch of nothing wins ever would have. He belonged with Andre Ward.

Comment

Age catches us all.

Comment

Working...
                      X