Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How would dempsey do against todays Heavyweights?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Different era. Today's heavyweights are too big IMO. Guys at 215-220 are considered small. And he was far smaller. He would basically come in weighing under the cruiserweight limit for a heavyweight fight.

Comment

What would happen if you put mighty mouse in a fruit blender?

Apologies for the sarcasm, but surely no one's taking this thread seriously
      Just the thought of Jack stepping in with the giants of today is utterly proposterous
      Fighters in the 20's were virtually malnourished compared to those of the present
      But just for the fantasy dwellers lol, had he been born around 1990
      He'd be in his prime, roughly the same stamp as Povetkin, and wreaking havoc on most of the division

Comment

Originally posted by mickey malone View Post

Just the thought of Jack stepping in with the giants of today is utterly proposterous
        Fighters in the 20's were virtually malnourished compared to those of the present
        He'd be in his prime, roughly the same stamp as Povetkin, and wreaking havoc on most of the division
        ^^^^ this right here.

Comment

Originally posted by travestyny View Post
          In the Willard fight.
          You might wanna check this thread:

https://www.boxingscene.com/forums/s...d.php?t=263497

Comment

Originally posted by BattlingNelson View Post
            The plaster story was debunked, I believe. However, that wasn't the only story.

“When I handled Kid McCoy I used to bandage his hands with a certain kind of adhesive tape. As soon as McCoy drew on the gloves, the tape hardened and, as a result, he was able to inflict unusual punishment. I wound Dempsey's hands with the same kind of bandages, which Willard inspected. The story that Dempsey wore aluminum pads over his knuckles is a lie. His bandages became hardened, no doubt, and that was why he cut Willard's face to ribbons.”
            http://www.nytimes.com/1964/02/09/sp...the-times.html

This is a direct quotation from the trainer who wrapped his hands. He 100% used a kind of tape that hardened and caused "unusual punishment."

Comment

Originally posted by mickey malone View Post

" imitations of Superman, Mighty Mouse's super powers allow him to fly, and make him incredibly strong and invulnerable. He has demonstrated the use of "X-ray vision"

My moneys on Mighty Mouse vs any Blender .

Throw Cousin Muscles ( Jerry's super strong relative from Tom and Jerry ) in the blender and then you have different results you are looking for.
              Last edited by juggernaut666; 02-13-2018, 03:56 PM.

Comment

I was told as a boy that my grandfather was the uncrowned champion of the world in the welterweight division. The fight took place in Australia. Mobsters came into the room before the fight, showed guns and warned My Gramps, who fought under the name Frankie Daily, to lose the fight or loose his life. He arranged to have a car waiting outside the front of the arena. He knocked the opponent out I think in the 4th. When the count was done instead of raising his glove in the middle of a well lit arena he jumped over the ropes and ran down the aisle into the car which took him to the ship. There were some sailors to prevent anyone from getting on board. He started a speakeasy in NY before the stock market crash and had all his money in the market. Needless to say he had to go back to work. Can anyone verify this. Sorry I don't know the date he fought. I was shown clippings but was too young to read all of them. His real name was Frank Whitty.

Comment

Originally posted by juggernaut666 View Post
                  " imitations of Superman, Mighty Mouse's super powers allow him to fly, and make him incredibly strong and invulnerable. He has demonstrated the use of "X-ray vision"

My moneys on Mighty Mouse vs any Blender .

Throw Cousin Muscles ( Jerry's super strong relative from Tom and Jerry ) in the blender and then you have different results you are looking for.
                  Then the ants show up and strip the place bare

Comment

Originally posted by travestyny View Post
                    The plaster story was debunked, I believe. However, that wasn't the only story.

This is a direct quotation from the trainer who wrapped his hands. He 100% used a kind of tape that hardened and caused "unusual punishment."

Does this tape exist today? It would be odd if the technology was lost to us, yet I have heard about no boxing prohibition against the use of any such tape. You would think the dirty trick would have reappeared by now, being even harder to detect, but it hasn't. Which makes me think it's an apocryphal story.

Comment

Originally posted by Dempsey-Louis View Post
                      Does this tape exist today? It would be odd if the technology was lost to us, yet I have heard about no boxing prohibition against the use of any such tape. You would think the dirty trick would have reappeared by now, being even harder to detect, but it hasn't. Which makes me think it's an apocryphal story.
                      The original quotation was reported on a number of times by well respected newspapers, such as the New York Times. I'm sure that the tape is around but it simply isn't used in boxing. They wouldn't be able to get away with this nowadays. The restrictions are much tighter.

Hand Wraps

Hand wraps shall be restricted to no more than twenty (20) yards of soft gauze, not more than two (2) inches wide. The gauze shall be held in place by no more than eight (8) feet of adhesive tape, no more than one and one-half (1 ½) inches wide. The adhesive tape shall not cover any part of the knuckles when the hand is clenched to make a fist. The use of water, or any other liquid or material, on the tape is strictly prohibited.

Hand wraps shall be applied in the dressing room in the presence of a Commission representative and, if requested, one representative of the other boxer.
                      Trust that today, such tape would for sure be prohibited. There are much stricter rules as to what can be used to wrap hands today, and as you can see, no tape is allowed to cover the knuckles.
                      Last edited by travestyny; 02-15-2018, 02:58 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X