Azumah Nelson vs Juan Manuel Marquez

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
    Azumah

Marquez struggles badly with good boxers i.e. Chris John, Floyd, Bradley, Freddie Norwood

Unless the guy is coming straight forward like Juan Diaz, katsidis, manny 1,4 Marquez can have trouble landing shots
    I know Azumah is fundamentally sound, but doesn't he fit in the second list of guys you mentioned? I have Marquez winning a hard fought decision. Maybe he gets knocked down somewhere along the way, but he'll get back up and recover.

Comment

Originally posted by 10,000 Days View Post
      I know Azumah is fundamentally sound, but doesn't he fit in the second list of guys you mentioned? I have Marquez winning a hard fought decision. Maybe he gets knocked down somewhere along the way, but he'll get back up and recover.
      I think azumah had more ability then come forward guys like Diaz and katsidis.

Him and Marquez would be a war either way, but I think azumah has just enough variation to his attack, and that will allow him to beat Marquez

Comment

I think azumah had more ability then come forward guys like Diaz and katsidis.

Him and Marquez would be a war either way, but I think azumah has just enough variation to his attack, and that will allow him to beat Marquez
        Sounds reasonable, Azumah was a tough SOB.

Comment

Originally posted by 10,000 Days View Post
          Nelson was levels above Katsidis and Diaz. I don't know where this impression of Nelson just being a come forward brawler is coming from. It's similar to how some people view Hagler which is just ridiculously false.
          Last edited by joseph5620; 10-22-2017, 12:02 PM.

Comment

Azumah

Marquez struggles badly with good boxers i.e. Chris John, Floyd, Bradley, Freddie Norwood

Unless the guy is coming straight forward like Juan Diaz, katsidis, manny 1,4 Marquez can have trouble landing shots
            This is what I'm seeing too. Especially when you see him losing to fighters like Norwood and Bradley. It's about styles and Nelson would be hell for Marquez. I think some people are forgetting how great Nelson really was. He nearly beat the great Salvador Sanchez on short notice after having only 13 pro fights.

Comment

Originally posted by joseph5620 View Post
              This is what I'm seeing too. Especially when you see him losing to fighters like Norwood and Bradley. It's about styles and Nelson would be hell for Marquez. I think some people are forgetting how great Nelson really was. He nearly beat the great Salvador Sanchez on short notice after having only 13 pro fights.
              Exactly.., Azumah was a very special fighter

He fought Salvador in his 13th fight in the early 80s, well into the 90s azumah was still a player.. very underrated great imo

I think the world of Marquez, legit great fighter, but if he can't exploit aggressive come forward tactics, he really has a tough time landing his shots..

Comment

I think AZ by tough dec late stop

Comment

Originally posted by joseph5620 View Post
                  Norwood was a good few years before his prime and a bogus decision. Norwood just managed to stay out of danger, but he didn't win enough rounds. Bradley fight was when Marquez was 40 and Marquez was fighting beyond his natural weight(s). Nelson when he was slightly past his best was losing to Leija. A competent boxer, not a special one. Also in his heyday had some very close, hard wins over solid technical Mexican fighters Martinez (could have gone either way) and Vilasana.

Nelson was indeed great, but I don't think his style would be overly complicated for Marquez. Both guys sound fundamentals, toughness and desire would make it a closely fought match. Nelson was good defensively but not an elusive mover.

I think Marquez would land enough counter punches and have the cleaner work in a thrilling match.

Comment

Working...
                  X