Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

An experienced boxer wants to spar me. I'm a beginner. Should I still spar him?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An experienced boxer wants to spar me. I'm a beginner. Should I still spar him?

This guy at the gym I go to is in shape and has challenged me to spar with him.

Unlike him, I've never sparred before.

We're the same height and have similar mechanics, e.g. reach. Although, I weigh more than him. I'm stocky.

Should I step into the ring with him? I'm not scared; I just don't know what to expect. Am I going to get fucked up?

Should I spar someone at my level instead? Maybe this guy wants to use me as a human punching bag. I don't know.

What do you think I should do?
    Last edited by punchr; 05-19-2017, 11:37 AM.

Yes, its the only way you gonna learn....what ever you do DONT try to go for the kill as soon as that bell rings cuz you gon gas out...I've been there....take your time stick him with the jab and use footwork for your first spar. Focus on your jab and movement.

Comment

Just get in there, if it's a spar at worse you'll have a bloody lip if you are wearimg a head guard

Take your time, work your jab. You get better by fighting guys better than you

Comment

Originally posted by j.razor View Post
        Yes, its the only way you gonna learn....what ever you do DONT try to go for the kill as soon as that bell rings cuz you gon gas out...I've been there....take your time stick him with the jab and use footwork for your first spar. Focus on your jab and movement.
        Originally posted by Richard P View Post
        Just get in there, if it's a spar at worse you'll have a bloody lip if you are wearimg a head guard

Take your time, work your jab. You get better by fighting guys better than you
        How hard should I go?

Comment

As soon as the bell rings throw everything you have at him.

You will be the best.

Comment

It ultimately depends on the guy really. If he's trying to spar with you because he thinks you have potential and wants you to get in the ring so you can test the waters and soak up some good experience then yeah you should.

If the guy is just looking for a punching bag with arms then don't, it will greatly discourage you. When you've never done it, sparring is totally different from training. While you might be able to go round after round on the bag, if you're extra nervous you will gas out quick in a round or two.

Comment

Originally posted by punchr View Post
              How hard should I go?
              Only when your on the inside throwing a combo. you can go hard just keep your guard up. Jab & move. Let us know how you do, good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by punchr View Post
                This guy at the gym I go to is in shape and has challenged me to spar with him.

Unlike him, I've never sparred before.

We're the same height and have similar mechanics, e.g. reach. Although, I weigh more than him. I'm stocky.

Should I step into the ring with him? I'm not scared; I just don't know what to expect. Am I going to get fucked up?

Should I spar someone at my level instead? Maybe this guy wants to use me as a human punching bag. I don't know.

What do you think I should do?
                You better go hard if you do spar with him. Don't let him take advantage of you. Make him regret picking on you.

Comment

I've never seen anyone that has never sparred before, spar someone experienced and do good.

Comment

Go hard out at first and if you get knocked down stay down and go for the dq.

Comment

Working...
                    X