No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Team Martinez Still Target Floyd Mayweather Jr. Fight

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sugar Q View Post
    No you don't have to prove it against a man fighting at a higher weight!!!! Sergio is a middle weight not a jr-middle-wt anymore. You talk as if Sergio is the #1 contender @ 154, "HE"S NOT" Sergio has weighed in as high as 172-174 on fight night and as you said Ward comes in around 176-181, looks within the same range to me but haters would like to see Floyd (152 at most wet) fight this dude coming in 20lbs heavier naturally. That's a dare that ONLY Floyd has the right to take.
    Show me a link with Martinez's fight night weight being 172-174 (as you claim) I think you're getting confused with his 30 day weigh-ins (174 pounds against Chavez, but weighed 167 pounds on fight night). Canelo and Kirkand (154 pounders) weighed in at 168 and 171 pounds respectively on fight night for their last bouts.

Martinez has fought at 154 in the past where he held a title. It's true that he hasn't fought there in 3 years but he usually weighs in at 157(ag/Macklin)-158 at 160 so he'd probably only have to lose 3-4 pounds, which he says he's fully capable of.

Trout is probably the legit #1 ranked 154 pounder and beat Cotto (who Floyd went life & death with) in his backyard in a bout that did record ratings on Showtime. Meanwhile what has Canelo done to merit a fight w/Floyd?
    Last edited by BafanaBafana; 12-31-2012, 04:45 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by BafanaBafana View Post
      Show me a link with Martinez's fight night weight being 172-174 (as you claim) I think you're getting confused with his 30 day weigh-ins (174 pounds against Chavez, but weighed 167 pounds on fight night). Canelo and Kirkand (154 pounders) weighed in at 168 and 171 pounds respectively on fight night for their last bouts.

Martinez has fought at 154 in the past where he held a title. It's true that he hasn't fought there in 3 years but he usually weighs in at 157(ag/Macklin)-158 at 160 so he'd probably only have to lose 3-4 pounds, which he says he's fully capable of.

Trout is probably the legit #1 ranked 154 pounder and beat Cotto (who Floyd went life & death with) in his backyard in a bout that did record ratings on Showtime. Meanwhile what has Canelo done to merit a fight w/Floyd?
      Floyd went life and death with cotto. Come on man. Even the fat gay dude who got the surgery and miguels wife don't think this.

Comment

• Originally posted by Big Dunn View Post
        Floyd went life and death with cotto. Come on man. Even the fat gay dude who got the surgery and miguels wife don't think this.
        I had it 4-4 in the first 8 rounds w/Floyd getting a beating in the eight and with his nose bleeding like a faucet. I scored it 116-112 because Cotto tired (like he always does) and PBF took the championship rounds. Floyd won a clear decision but it was much more competitive than people thought it would be (myself included).

Comment

I had it 4-4 in the first 8 rounds w/Floyd getting a beating in the eight and with his nose bleeding like a faucet. I scored it 116-112 because Cotto tired (like he always does) and PBF took the championship rounds. Floyd won a clear decision but it was much more competitive than people thought it would be (myself included).
          If Martinez can make 154 I don't see the problem

Comment

• I did not mean to quote sorry .. I'm a lil buzzed

Comment

I don't see how you had it 4-4 to be honest. Even so closer than you thought isn't life and death.

That said a floyd fight with sergio at 160 would be ideal for me. But canelo would get fight because he puts asses in seats and has a huge fanbase that supports him. The ability to sell seats is a precious commodity in boxing. Notalways the best for us as fans.

Comment

• Originally posted by Big Dunn View Post
                I don't see how you had it 4-4 to be honest. Even so closer than you thought isn't life and death.

That said a floyd fight with sergio at 160 would be ideal for me. But canelo would get fight because he puts asses in seats and has a huge fanbase that supports him. The ability to sell seats is a precious commodity in boxing. Notalways the best for us as fans.
                I thought he went "life and death" (sarcasm) for the first 8 rounds before Cotto gassed. I don't remember exactly how I scored it but I think most people in the press scored the fight 116-112 as well.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...round-by-round

Comment

When it comes to Mayweather, people hate without even realizing. Some of set the bar so high for him that you don't even realize that you're being irrational. 8-4 fights are described as going "life and death". His nose bleeding is front page news even though it only takes 1 good jab to bloody someone's nose. Styles make fights man. Cotto is the bigger harder punching guy, he is a good body puncher, he has a good awkward powerful jab, and Mayweather fought at a pace that allowed him to get those weapons off. Cotto struggles against guys who apply pressure, guys who wont allow him to fight at his pace. Mayweather fought Cotto's fight at Cotto's weight and still beat him 10-2 8-4 depending on who you are.

Comment

I thought he went "life and death" (sarcasm) for the first 8 rounds before Cotto gassed. I don't remember exactly how I scored it but I think most people in the press scored the fight 116-112 as well.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...round-by-round
                    I honestly thought both fights were closer than people made them out to be. Cotto only clearly lost those fights down the stretch against both Trout & Floyd. But other than that You are entirely correct on all counts.

Comment

Are you insinuating that Ward weighs between 170-172 on fight night? last I recall he usually comes in between 176-181 and Mayweather refused to be weighed on fight night against Cotto so we don't know how much he weighed on fight night at that weight division. If you're going to claim your the best at 154 (by holding a belt there) then you've got to be willing to prove it against anyone and that includes Sergio Martinez and Austin Trout. Mayweather will probably fight Gurrero and/or Canelo anyway. /thread
                      It was said Floyd actually lost weight on the night of the Cotto fight. He actually weighed 147lb to do the fact that he was sick. How would that be known if he refused to be weighed.

Comment

Working...
                      X