Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Johnson, Bernstein, and Tarver>>>Lampley, Steward, and Merchant agree?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

merchant is the worst!! but lampley and steward i love.

gus johnson is exciting, bernstein can be a little to bias i think, and tarver is a smiling ass

Comment

Originally posted by Johnnybur View Post
      You are way wrong on Al Bernstein, the dude has been involved in Boxing for many decades and is very knowledgable about the game, moreso than most commentators. He was even in Rocky V back in 1990, hes been around a long time.
      "You are way wrong" is not a very good argument. And I never doubted how old the dude is. I didn't doubt how ugly he is either. Yes, the man has been in the game a very long time, but I still rarely agree with what he sees. He often calls out the wrong punch, misses what's happening on the inside, and most importantly, he chose the worst of all Rocky movies to be in. I do however like him more than Max Kellerman. I'd rather watch his awful scene in Rocky Balboa 10 times in a row than listen to him get lost in another never ending analogy. By the time he's done making a point, he's missed half the action.

Comment

I like Lampley (his voice is like the most memorable for some reason, next to Merchant's, but that's because you can't forget Merchant's I'll take 5 minutes to say 4 words).

I don't like Merchant because the dude is so pessimistic about everything. He'll let you know if the fight is boring or not, has nothing insightful to say about the fight but just criticism.

Roy Jones Jr is a great commentator, I also think Foreman is not a bad commentator. They need people with in ring experience. I wish Tyson was a commentator, I bet he'd be a good commentator, probably bring in some hilarity into the fight as well as some knowledge.

Comment

larry's an ******* and lampley's a **** sucker.

the showtime crew is biased against fighters that don't fight on showtime often though.

Comment

Originally posted by Spiegelo View Post
            Bernstein always calls it wrong. He had a good night for Agbeko/Mares, but he's so off more often than not. I don't know if it's his vision or what. And Farhood's voice is an acquired taste I guess. He reminds me of Egon from Ghostbusters, I don't mind it. If you get past his voice, he's far more knowledgeable than Bernstein and Gus Johnson combined. Just because they hand Bernstein a script and let him redub the classics like Joe Louis fights and Sugar Ray, doesn't mean he's actually involved with the sport as in-depth as other commentators. Farhood does telecasts for local shows and broadway boxing, he's always pretty involved with the amateurs as well. Hell, even Gus Johnson will occasionally call a Golden Gloves tourney.
            I'll just have to agree to disagree about Bernstein. Farhood is knowledgeable and dedicated to the sport, I'll give him that. LMAO about the Ghostbusters resemblance.

Originally posted by Spiegelo View Post
            And like I said, I enjoy Merchant for the same reason. He's hilarious, my only problem is that he's also ripping in when it's a good night of boxing. He's kind of the comedy relief for me, that will occasionally drop a gem of commentary if you can get past all of his misquotes (there are usually at least 4 per telecast).
            He is almost always negative, but that doesn't really bother me even during a good fight. He is the only person I know involved in boxing who has the gift of poetry, and I'll miss him when he is gone.

Comment

i think it's cause i'm subscribed to only hbo, so i don't watch showtime fights that often, but the hbo crew is the best. tarver and bernstein are good commentators but i don't like any of the other guys. hbo takes it and it's not even comparable.

Comment

Originally posted by jimbo87 View Post
                Manny Steward is the worst

30 seconds into the fight

Steward : ''Fighter X is looking terrible, no head movement whatsoever, it's going to be a long night.''
                and then the 4th of July fireworks come blazing out as fighter x throws a 12-punch combination, placing Steward in a awkward position.

lol

Comment

My fav 3 are Lampley, Merchant, and Steward...Steward says some dumb ass sh** and doesn't really know boxing but I'm used to hear him talk. I like Lennox and Roy sometimes thuough. My favorite is Merchant. And he knows less boxing than anybody!

Comment

Originally posted by ILLuminato View Post
                    My fav 3 are Lampley, Merchant, and Steward...Steward says some dumb ass sh** and doesn't really know boxing but I'm used to hear him talk. I like Lennox and Roy sometimes thuough. My favorite is Merchant. And he knows less boxing than anybody!
                    Yeah, they might not know ****, but they're characters.

Comment

The HBO crew is really good but I wish Bernstein was on HBO when Steward can't make it on the show.

Comment

Working...
                      X