No announcement yet.

Personal memories of a fighter?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tha Executioner View Post
    I bet if given the chance, he would fight Ray Leonard again.

I would put everything I own on it.

Comment

I'd still be pissed if I was Hagler too. The guy has true pride and he spent years and years warring through the best of 'em to try and find a little respect from the press and then here comes Ray, hand picking opponents for millions of dollars a time while Hagler built his resume working for nothing even close to comparable as Ray was getting. Then they get in the ring and Leonard fights what was basically an amatuer pity pat fight and gets the nod. Hagler was great............Rockin'

Comment

Originally posted by Barnburner View Post
        I would put everything I own on it.
        I got Hagler by TKO.

Comment

Hagler made the same amount in 40 fights as Leonard made in his first fight. That's why Hagler is on eof my favourite fighters, I can be stubborn and bitter as fuck is someone does me a bad turn. I can relate to the man.

Comment

Originally posted by Barnburner View Post
            I can be stubborn and bitter as fuck is someone does me a bad turn.
            Of course u can - ur Scottish.

Comment

Well, I used to live in France and I trained in the gym and had a couple of amateur fights where Mahyar Monshipour trained.

Don't know if you guys know about him, he was WBA batamweight champion for few years and he lost his title against Sithchatchawal in what was the FOTY 2006.

Not a very known dude in USA, but he was a good WBA champion with something like 6 title defenses, and I knew him very well, no training camp, he was training with us (amateur and club fighters), running with us.

I sparred with him many times, and a lot for the sithchatchawal fight cuz he was taller than Mayhar and I can fight southpaw naturally, I was a middleweight amateur so almost 40 lbs heavier and really taller.
              Altough dude had average skills, bad defense and was so smaller, he always almost managed to beat me to pulp.
              I was always having the best of him in the 2 first rounds, then I couldn't follow the pace as an amateur fighter.
              You feel like a biatch when a dude so smaller with Gattis skills kick yo ass.

You can see in this 2006 FOTY how dude was a crazy mofo.
              He was a bloody warrior.

I felt very bad when he lost.
              He's a great person.

Comment

Originally posted by BillyBoxing View Post
                Well, I used to live in France and I trained in the gym and had a couple of amateur fights where Mahyar Monshipour trained.

Don't know if you guys know about him, he was WBA batamweight champion for few years and he lost his title against Sithchatchawal in what was the FOTY 2006.

Not a very known dude in USA, but he was a good WBA champion with something like 6 title defenses, and I knew him very well, no training camp, he was training with us (amateur and club fighters), running with us.

I sparred with him many times, and a lot for the sithchatchawal fight cuz he was taller than Mayhar and I can fight southpaw naturally, I was a middleweight amateur so almost 40 lbs heavier and really taller.
                Altough dude had average skills, bad defense and was so smaller, he always almost managed to beat me to pulp.
                I was always having the best of him in the 2 first rounds, then I couldn't follow the pace as an amateur fighter.
                You feel like a biatch when a dude so smaller with Gattis skills kick yo ass.

You can see in this 2006 FOTY how dude was a crazy mofo.
                He was a bloody warrior.

I felt very bad when he lost.
                He's a great person.
                I only know him from that one fight but Boy What A Fight!!!

Thats cool u got to spar him man

Comment

Originally posted by The Surgeon View Post
                  Of course u can - ur Scottish.
                  LOL! I suppose so.

Comment

Originally posted by CarlosG815 View Post
                    I have only one. Prince Naseem was here in Detroit training for his fight with Soto. In Dearborn there is a big Arab population so the prince had a day where he was training in front of fans. I believe he may have trained a day at the rec center here in town so I made my way down there. It was incredible to watch him skip rope and to see him do situp after situp, going from lying flat on his back to standing straight up over and over again.

This was back when I was fanatical about Prince Naseem so to see him live and training in person was pretty special. I had forgotten all about this memory until today.

This was in 99.
                    During a trip up north I met Alvaro " Yaqui" Lopez. He was before my time but I've read a lot about him and watched some of his big fights. Very nice and bigger than I imagined an ex lt heavyweight would be. Walked past Evander Holyfield but didn't talk to him. He looked taller than I expected and definitely close to 6-3. Have also seen Tim Bradley in Palm Springs. He looked smaller than I expected. Although not a boxer, meeting Angelo Dundee beat any of those. Extremely nice and down to earth.

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post

He just wasnt very social at all. I remember asking him something about Leonard and his response was something to the effect of "fuck Ray Leonard"! He wasn't rude, he just didn't want to talk. When I got up from the bar and asked for his autograph is when he gave me his hat and signed it. I went to a table with my friends and he left a few minutes later.I got the impression he just didn't want to be bothered and was was much more recognizable without the hat on.
                      LOL That's actually funny.

Comment

Working...
                      X