No announcement yet.

Ike Ibeabuchi vs Lennox Lewis

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Holtol View Post
    Maybe he had the raw talent in his muscles. I used to think the same thing about Bowe. If Bowe was more committed. But if a guy does not train hard or goes to jail in my opinion he is missing something that great champions have.
    I've done a fair bit of research on him, and he's nobodies fool.. He's gone on to achieve a couple of degrees while inside, and if ever you've read any of his interviews, he's a very articulate person indeed.. He's a damaged soul, no doubt about it, but all the evidence suggests he has a mental illness that is out of his control..
    My post merely speculates his boxing potential, had he not succumbed to the illness.

Comment

Originally posted by mickey malone View Post
      I've done a fair bit of research on him, and he's nobodies fool.. He's gone on to achieve a couple of degrees while inside, and if ever you've read any of his interviews, he's a very articulate person indeed.. He's a damaged soul, no doubt about it, but all the evidence suggests he has a mental illness that is out of his control..
      My post merely speculates his boxing potential, had he not succumbed to the illness.
      I only saw him fight against Byrd and Tua. I have to admit he looked good in the fights, and I have watched them over the odd time. I also read about the degrees while in prison and some other things about him . Maybe your right about his potential, but there are a lot of could haves in this world. I believe in free will, I don't believe in fate. Ike did things with his own mind which he controls to get where he is now. And so did Lennox Lewis. So maybe your right he could have beaten Lewis but he made bad decisions. Just like making a bad decision in the ring to lose a fight. Same thing with Bowe he could have done so much. But he decided not to be the champion. I can't say Ike or Bowe had more talent then Lewis . Because working hard and trying hard to do the right thing for yourself is a talent.
      Last edited by Holtol; 04-09-2010, 03:26 AM.

Comment

Ike had the goods and he was reall early in his pro career. He had a good jab, chin and high work rate. He could punch also, too bad we will never know how good he really was or wasn't. I did like him against any of the heavyweights on the top at the time. He was a real suprise

Comment

http://boxinggreats.multiply.com/jou..._IKE_IBEABUCHI

Pretty decent run down of how this fight may have panned out.

Comment

Lewis thoroughly dominates en route to a TKO victory.

Comment

I believe in free will, I don't believe in fate. Ike did things with his own mind which he controls to get where he is now.
              So.....You're claiming Ike had control over mental illness?

Poet

Comment

Originally posted by poet682006 View Post
                So.....You're claiming Ike had control over mental illness?

Poet
                Yes I think people control their brains. I don't let serial killers off the hook either for mental problems. If you fck up that's your fault, don't point fingers and say I raped a girl in a closet cause bad things happened to me. Or I drove my kid into a concrete post and I had no control over my mind. Let's face it there are probably hundreds of people who have the athletic ability to be all time greats. But some people decide to do it.

Comment

Lewis wins an incredibly hard fought decision

its a shame what happened to ike,he could have done so much more

Comment

Yes I think people control their brains. I don't let serial killers off the hook either for mental problems. If you fck up that's your fault, don't point fingers and say I raped a girl in a closet cause bad things happened to me. Or I drove my kid into a concrete post and I had no control over my mind. Let's face it there are probably hundreds of people who have the athletic ability to be all time greats. But some people decide to do it.
                    The analogy to serial killers is a strawman. The vast majority of them are NOT mentally ill. They may be sick mother****ers but most do not suffer from mental illness. Things such as Schizophrenia, Bi-Polar, PTSD, ect. ect. ect. are legitimate diseases not personal choices.

Poet

Comment

I think the general opinion on this one is that although Lewis would probably have won, it certainly wouldn't have been easy, and may well have been as tough as the Mercer bout. Some people might say Ike never proved a lot, but you have to at least appreciate that Ike had nearly every quality needed to be a great boxer, especially considering he was a heavyweight. To say Ike would have blasted Lewis out or won easily would be ridiculous. But to say he could have potentially given Lewis an extremely tough fight is not.
                      Let's not forget, that around that time, Lewis was by no means mopping the floor with Holyfield, who was not in his prime.
                      Last edited by paul750; 04-09-2010, 12:11 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X