Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Daily Protein Intake Averages...Too high? The American Case...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Daily Protein Intake Averages...Too high? The American Case...

I always wondered about this topic...

The average American male consumes about 100g of protein a day +- 15. Different studies give different figures but its safe to say that 100g is the correct amount.

100g Protein = 16 oz = 450g of BEEF

100g Protein = 10 oz = 280g of CHICKEN BREAST

Chicken quarter totals which is chicken thigh + leg = 22g

1lb of wings = 36 g of protein, which at most restaurants = 6-8 wings.

Glass of Milk = 8 g of protein.

The moral of the story is that it is hard to believe that the average person, in this case American since they have the most widely available data consumes 100g of protein a day....

That is a lot of meat no mater what.

That is a lot of steak, or double big macs.....

It is also a lot of servings of protein shakes...

------

So do you really believe that the average person eats that much protein?

This also brings into question the good ol body building "2g of protein per 1kg of body weight, or roughly 1g of protein per 1lb of body weight"

For a 200lb man, 200g of protein = A TON OF MEAT.

And it just cant be healthy...That is a lot of stress on your kidney.

Also the 0.7 grams of protein per kg, or .36 per pound is the suggested daily intake for a healthy active male. So this means for an average 170lb man he would need around 60 g of protein, which seems plausible but its still not easy to eat that much meat.

So where is the truth?

I think that these figures are very inflated, both for "healthy active" and "body builder"

I watch Canadians, and Ill put any money that they do not eat 100g of protein a day or even half of that.

I mean just think about it, go for a week and try to eat a 100g of protein without using supplements.

Breakfast = 2 large eggs + a glass of Milk + 3 strips of bacon = 26g protein

Lunch = tuna sandwich = 24g protein

Dinner = 8 oz steak = 40 g protein

This adds up to 90g of protein...

Are they really trying to tell us that people consume that much MEAT and dairy a day?
    Last edited by Banderivets; 10-06-2011, 12:36 AM.

I believe those numbers are inflated. I don't think the average person is eating that much protein. However i also believe that it wouldn't be difficult for bodybuilders or other fitness minded people to get over 100 grams of protein. It gets harder when your goal is 1g per lb of body weight. Have to eat more than three meals. Six wouyld be better along with a protein supplement.

Comment

Originally posted by jdmsoldman View Post
      I believe those numbers are inflated. I don't think the average person is eating that much protein. However i also believe that it wouldn't be difficult for bodybuilders or other fitness minded people to get over 100 grams of protein. It gets harder when your goal is 1g per lb of body weight. Have to eat more than three meals. Six wouyld be better along with a protein supplement.
      My concern was always the $$$ factor, when supplements are not used...I mean you would definitely have to eat at least one steak a day...this is not cheap.

Even a bucket of protein powder gets used up rather quick, and lets assume that those go for 50$ for 5lb or so...so I always wonder how can people afford to eat so much...

I mean you could say that in Canada/USA calories are cheap.

But meats etc are not.

Comment

I try to end up taking 3000-3500 calories in per day, my diet isn't too strict but I eat clean. I eat 7-9 small meals per day and use a water + whey protein supplement with nearly every one of my meals..

I've been eating 100g of protein a day easily since early highschool and I'm in my mid 20s now, not that expensive to eat like I do and I'm 6'4 270lbs

Comment

Eggs are pretty cheap and can be ate in several different ways.

Fish and chicken aren't, but they're tasty enough that I could eat them every day without getting bored or disliking them.

But yeah, eating to add good weight can be a chore and is going to cost more than a regular diet.

Comment

Agreed, the numbers can be exagerated, but it isn't that difficult to consume that much protein if you're striving for that, eggs, tuna, milk, meats, poultry, fish, it can just get expensive but trust me to some people money is of no concern while others are definitely on a budget.

Comment

1. 100g is NOT alot of protein.

2. You make it sound like there's only protein in meats. Bread, pasta, rice etc all contains 10g protein/100g, roughly. And then you have dairy products, eggs, nuts, beans etc.

3. There is no proof what so ever that a protein intake of around 200g a day would be dangerous for a healthy individual.

4. Protein is good for us. If studies on weight loss has showed anything with consistency, it is that diets with higher protein intake has resulted in better body composition then diets with lower protein intake.

5. The biggest concern with protein intake today is environmental effects and suffering of animals.
              Last edited by Bring It On; 10-05-2011, 06:25 PM.

Comment

The health food industry keeps telling people to eat more and more protein...it's a huge money maker for them and completely out of wack. As someone who has been involved with weight training for about 40 yrs (I'm 56) I have put it all to the test and know many people who have done the same. The reality is anything more than 1 gram of protein per kilo of body weight will not be metabolized and will be wasted...and we are talking about active not sedentary people. As well...if your source of protein is animal which is a highly acidic source...the increased amount of uric acid in your body will do damage and cause inflammation along with aches and pains. Acids burn tissue and proteins are amino acids . I consumed 1 gram per pound of protein for several years and the went to 1 gram per kilo several years ago at the recommendation of a huge and powerful bodybuilder. I have actually got stronger/more muscular since and have much less aches and pains. At 56 yrs old and 5-'8" 175 lbs I bench press and squat 3 plates. Large excessive amounts of protein will NOT be of benefit to you...and whey supplements will only benefit the guy who sells it to you. Gout is condition directly related to uric acid...uric acid is a by product of protein...google it. I spent approx $10,000. on whey protein over those years...that money would have made a nice upgrade to a newer car and much better spent. The health food industry has created an illusion about protein that has for the most part become widely accepted...it's all smoke and mirrors.

Comment

I stopped reading when you brought up the oldest myth in this field, the you'll-not-absorb-any-protein-above-this-ammount-myth. Fascinating that someone who supposedly has been lifting for 40 years can still think that's true.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Roach View Post
                    I stopped reading when you brought up the oldest myth in this field, the you'll-not-absorb-any-protein-above-this-ammount-myth. Fascinating that someone who supposedly has been lifting for 40 years can still think that's true.
                    You don't absorb protein son...you metabolize it..that is...you break it down and use it as building blocks depending on how much rebuilding is needed which is only determined by how much you break down your muscle and how much stress your body recognizes. No matter how much extra building blocks you give your body beyond what it needs...it will only/can only use what is needed to do the job and nothing more. And you can only break down the body so much before you are over training and your central nervous system begins to shut down.

I couldn't care less what you read in my post or where you stopped reading. I have no reason to fake my experience with weight training or how long I have been doing so here...believe what you want. But I have put it to the test and know pro athletes who have done the same. I suggest you do the same before you comment and a little more research before you call me a liar.
                    Last edited by jaded; 10-05-2011, 09:18 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X