Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

You can't just vacate a lineal championship, can you?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You can't just vacate a lineal championship, can you?

Please enlighten me.

Word is WBC is somehow making GGG vs Rubio some bullcrap unification fight (WBA world and WBC interim), and then making Cotto fight the winner, even though that would make the winner unranked by WBC.

At any rate, I imagine Cotto is vacating the WBC belt.

That would take some luster away from a potential Cotto vs Canelo fight (though obviously, it'd still happen, and it'd still sell like hotcakes).

On top of that, I'm sure Cotto is eying a Floyd rematch. Losing that belt would take away the only bait he had to lure Floyd in.

Even if he's stripped/vacates, those fights could still happen for the lineal championship, right? Didn't Martinez remain lineal champ even after they gave Chavez the WBC belt?

Why wouldn't Cotto fight GGG or Rubio? Why would he just up and vacate the title?

Someone going to come in here and tell me he's scared to pursue guys at MW?

Cotto will **** these fools up. Cotto has been in with real live dogs. Who have GGG and Rubio been in with?

Dude won the strap 3-months ago and just cause he didn't go straight for the small money fight with GGG now he's getting this unwarranted flack? Patience grasshoppers.

Comment

He's holding the title warm for canelo.

Comment

Here are the seven situations in which a champion can lose his belt:

The Champion loses a fight in the weight class in which he is champion.
        The Champion moves to another weight class.
        The Champion does not schedule a fight in any weight class for 18 months.
        The Champion does not schedule a fight at his championship weight for 18 months (even if he fights at another weight).
        The Champion does not schedule a fight with a Top-5 contender from any weight class for two years.
        The Champion retires.
        The Champion tests positive for a banned substance.

Comment

Originally posted by SeekDaGreat View Post
          Why wouldn't Cotto fight GGG or Rubio? Why would he just up and vacate the title?

Cotto will **** these fools up. Cotto has been in with real live dogs. Who have GGG and Rubio been in with?

Dude won the strap 3-months ago and just cause he didn't go straight for the small money fight with GGG now he's getting this unwarranted flack? Patience grasshoppers.
          Not a
          Cotto fan but he gives GGG a good fight but I stil have GGG KO ing Cotto I would love to see that fight

Comment

Originally posted by robust_ View Post
            He's holding the title warm for canelo.
            He's not fighting GGG until he fights Canelo. Too much money to make vs the German Mexican. Once he banks that in, GGG can get his shot at greatness in MSG vs Cotto.

Comment

I'm glad you feel that way, and trust me, I wish that scenario comes to happen, but I just cant picture it. (I liked the Rubio fight, I thought it was a good, solid fight for Cotto. As for GGG, I feel Cotto would give him a fight for a few rounds until he inevitably gets caught)

At any rate, that's not really what the thread is about. Let's try to stay on topic. IF he vacates, does he remain lineal champ?

Comment

Originally posted by Bigg Rigg View Post
                He's not fighting GGG until he fights Canelo. Too much money to make vs the German Mexican. Once he banks that in, GGG can get his shot at greatness in MSG vs Cotto.
                You refused to give Crawford credit when he beat the much smaller Gamboa. How much credit will you give Golovkin if he beats Cotto? GGG-Cotto would be a massacre in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Loque-san View Post
                  Here are the seven situations in which a champion can lose his belt:

The Champion loses a fight in the weight class in which he is champion.
                  The Champion moves to another weight class.
                  The Champion does not schedule a fight in any weight class for 18 months.
                  The Champion does not schedule a fight at his championship weight for 18 months (even if he fights at another weight).
                  The Champion does not schedule a fight with a Top-5 contender from any weight class for two years.
                  The Champion retires.
                  The Champion tests positive for a banned substance.
                  This is what I was looking for. Thanks.

Looks like he remains lineal champ, though I'm sure the WBC would let the mandatory defense slide for huge money fights vs Canelo/Floyd

Comment

I guarantee you Cotto never fights a legit middleweight at 160. Hes gonna fight fight andy lee at a catchweight then fight canelo probably a catchweight. He will never fight a true 160 fight.

Comment

Working...
                    X