No announcement yet.

Lower weight class White boxers?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lower weight class White boxers?

Why does it seem most upcoming boxers are never white? Come to think of it, only one weight class is even dominated by Americans. I'm speaking White americans. Being a 17 year old who got attatched to boxing as his first sport, I wonder what happened?

Back in Americas uprising in the 20th century there were copius amounts of white boxers. Now they're either mexican, hispanic, asian, or black.

Will I ever see more Willie Peps or Jake LaMottas?

All I have to watch is like Malignaggi

Maybe something in their genetics?

White people tend to be very strong (most elite strongmen and weightlifters are white) and maybe that advantage doesn't really show in the lower weights where the majority of guys are very very quick. It also might be that White people tend to have a higher median weight or height that makes it harder.

Just theories

Comment

Originally posted by slickslysmooth View Post
      Why does it seem most upcoming boxers are never white? Come to think of it, only one weight class is even dominated by Americans. I'm speaking White americans. Being a 17 year old who got attatched to boxing as his first sport, I wonder what happened?

Back in Americas uprising in the 20th century there were copius amounts of white boxers. Now they're either mexican, hispanic, asian, or black.

Will I ever see more Willie Peps or Jake LaMottas?

All I have to watch is like Malignaggi
      which one is that?

Comment

Boxing is generally a lower-class sport. The Irish, Jews and Italians were at that time the lower-class in America, and as their living conditions got better, they became middle class and started to get more high-brow jobs.

Comment

wait, you're speaking about white american fighters? forget the lower weights, theyre almost non existant in boxing today period.

the UK and euro white fighters are good tho.

Comment

Take the USA out of the equation and I can think of plenty of white boxers in the lower weight divisions...

Ricky Burns? Scott Quigg? Carl Frampton? Michael Katsidis? Ricky Hatton? etc etc..

Comment

Although there are white fighters, it's Americans I never see. I believe the WW division is ran by all Americans, although like 3 of them are black. Not bashing America, I actually live in California(although I'm a filipino), I just wondered where they all went.

I guess it is true boxing could be a lower class sport, since most of the white people I know would love to be rich businessmen, my white neighbor is in love with making money it's crazy. I guess they can only become Bob Arums nowadays?

Comment

The same reason why there are very few American white players in the NBA. The same reason most players in the NFL other than QB are black. The same reason why there aren't any white sprinters. They just aren't as good, aren't as naturally athletic, generally speaking. Yes there are always exceptions, im just talkin on average. Its not racist to say that, just looking at facts. Call it a genetic thing if you want

Comment

Men that go into boxing as a career have traditionally been only those who have no other opportunity or access to education. In America, white fighters stopped being prominent when the waves of immigration ended, which in turn brought an end to the large crops of young men with no other opportunity.

The decline in boxing's popularity also contributed stateside. There are also far fewer African Americans who excel athletically getting into boxing than there used to be.

Comment

Sean O'Grady???

Comment

Working...
                    X