No announcement yet.

Lucas Matthysse, can he become an ATG?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Weebler II View Post
    Is Sergio Martinez an atg? (since we're asking random avatar questions)
    I don't think Martinez is a ATG, but he very well might be considered to be one by some. Is he a HOF maybe...legend?? maybe.

Now how about Hatton?

Comment

Originally posted by BoxingFollower View Post
      I don't think Martinez is a ATG, but he very well might be considered to be one by some. Is he a HOF maybe...legend?? maybe.

Now how about Hatton?
      There's only one...sing along now!

Comment

Originally posted by StarPower View Post
        Right now he has the opportunity to become the best 140lber. Thats about it. The minute he moves up to 147 is the minute he will be exposed. Theres about 4 to 5 guys that can knock him off.
        I have doubts about Matthysse at 147 too, but we really need to see him perform there before we write him off. He could potentially even be a better fighter at that weight but like I said he needs to test the waters.

Comment

Let's see some worthy competition first. He's fierce with a lot of power. But so is Rios...and a host of other fighters in the past. A good boxer or a good punch could expose him.

Comment

With the following wins:

Garcia (x2 if there's a rematch)
            Judah
            Alexander
            Khan
            Broner

He would be well on the way. Not the likeliest of scenarios, particularly with the TV split, but it's not beyond the realms of possibility.

Comment

Can he? Yes, theoretically he could clean out the Jr Welterweight division, the clean out the Welterweight division ( Mayweather, Bradley, Marquez, Pacquiao, Rios, Guerrero, Ortiz, Berto), if he was to then move into the Jr Middleweight division and beat the fighters there I don't think anyone could present an argument against him not being an ATG.

That being said, the above will not happen. I can see him becoming a hall of famer though, assuming he can continue to make the Jr Welterweight division.

Comment

I thought he already was an all time great.

Comment

You're missing out the 'can he become' part of the question. It's not about now, but rather the potential of the future.

Like I said, Golovkin has the time and level of activity. Moreover, he has the likes of Canelo, Froch, Ward and Martinez in and around his weight class (he also has Mayweather if he grows a pair).
                  U honestly think hr can fight 5 times a year? There's a reason fighters don't do it u know. U would think ppl on this site are new to boxing. Smh. With that said can he become one? Sure but then in that case many fighters can. That question is very open ended. Will he become one? For both mathysse and golovkin its highly unlikely. That's the point

Comment

I have doubts about Matthysse at 147 too, but we really need to see him perform there before we write him off. He could potentially even be a better fighter at that weight but like I said he needs to test the waters.
                    Matthysse is a bit undersized at 147. And he is not impossible to hit. I think he will be beaten up pretty badly by bigger and stronger fighters.

Comment

I think he will be closer to Hall of Famer than ATG and he will have to work for that honor as well. There just aren't that many great fights for him besides Mayweather. Manny and JMM are both near the end of the road and those fights are unlikely anyway. If he beats Danny, 140 would be completely unified. That's a great start. He would have to show the same or more dominance at 147. I think he will try 154 down the road but I don't see him being very successful there.

Bradley
                      Alexander 2
                      Maidana
                      Khan
                      Broner
                      Guerrero
                      Ortiz
                      Plus any other fighters that emerge in the division.

He probably won't beat all those names so I would say borderline Hall of Famer.

Comment

Working...
                      X