No announcement yet.

Top Rank's Matchmakers Messed Up

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ADozenArrows View Post
    At the end of the day, Nonito still gave Narvaez his first loss EVER. Despite it being in a weight class that Narvaez isn't suited in, that's impressive.
    Yeah, a win is a win but at the same time, Nonito was guaranteed $700K for this fight and this was his MSG/NYC debut and he's getting somewhere in the neighborhood of $1 mil for his next fight. The purpose of this fight was to build him a bigger fan base and push him in the media and turn him into a star worthy of those paydays.

Getting him an opponent who is overly defensive and wanted to do nothing but survive and the fans booing and chanting 'this is bull****' didn't do much in that regard.

Matchmakers are paid top dollar to make sure **** like this doesn't happen, and I just don't think they did their homework on this one.

Comment

Narvaez is usually not that defensive but yeah it was obvious Donaire wasn't gonna look good against him.

Comment

Nonito came to fight, but the other guy had just the right plan to not get knocked out, make it to the end, and even counter Donaire from time to time.

I would like to see a little more aggression in Donaire. It definately is time for him to move up.

Comment

Originally posted by ThePrince View Post
          This was supposed to be Nonito's coming out party and showcase at MSG... but they matched him up with an overly defensive fighter? That was a stinker, Narvaez was only looking to survive 12 rounds and wanted nothing to do with a fight. Surely, a HOF matchmaker like Trampler could do better...
          Obviously, the matchmakers know more about fighters compared to us(there's very lil info on Narvaez).

But, from the only fight of Narvaez that I found on Y*utube prior to this fight, there was no way I would suspect that he'd be fighting like he did tonight.

What I saw on Y*utube was a solid lil fighter who would end up getting his &ss kicked by Nonito, but, in no way did he show that he was someone that would just shell up.

Comment

Working...
          X