No announcement yet.

Newbie question: bag too hard?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie question: bag too hard?

I've just started boxing. Managed to take one class before covoid and everything shut down. Bought a used bag online super cheap. It's a 6 foot tall leather heavy bag. I know a carpenter so I was able to fill it with sawdust for free. It weighs a ton and now that it's settled is hard as a rock. I like the weight/resistance, but it's really hurting my hands. I realize it's pretty stupid to start off with a bag that weighs as much as I do... but that's just what was easily available.
    I am using 14 ounce gloves and good hand wraps. Even bought some beast gear knuckle protectors but I can barely get my hands in my gloves when I'm wearing them and they don't seem to help much anyway.

These days I'm hitting the bag every other day or so, however, ideally I'd like to be able to work on it just about every day.

Some options I was thinking of.

Aqua bag? Would a heavy water bag be easier on my hands?

Refill the bag with something softer. Sounds like a pain in the ass to me. What should I try, cloth?

Just suck it up and my hands will adjust.

Water bags are waaaaaay easier on the hands. Highly recommend buying one over using the bag you're currently using.

If not than yea just get some used clothes from any free or cheap source you have access to fill it instead of the sawdust.

Comment

Sugar Ray Leonard used to protect his knuckles with maxi pads.

Comment

Originally posted by VegasMichael View Post
        Good call!

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
          Water bags are waaaaaay easier on the hands. Highly recommend buying one over using the bag you're currently using.
          Thanks. I'll probably just try to find one of these then.

Comment

yes a water bag is easier on the hands. Don't forget, conditioning the hands to take repeated blows may take awhile. Just like when you start running, your feet will be sore until they toughen up a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post

If not than yea just get some used clothes from any free or cheap source you have access to fill it instead of the sawdust.
              Yes, water bags for sure are easier on the hands.

Comment

Originally posted by VegasMichael View Post
                Watched Ray steal a draw from Hearns yesterday, even while getting dropped twice. That’s the type of stroke that makes me think he could get a win vs Floyd.

Comment

Originally posted by OctoberRed View Post
                  Yes, water bags for sure are easier on the hands.
                  I’ve never used a water heavy bag. The bottom portion must still offer more resistance with the extra weight pressing down? I know sum bags fly around too much, while others are like punching cinder blocks. Sometimes even with six different bags hung up at the gym, there might be maybe two that people are willing to use. Sum bags let u know what it feels like to break ur hand on a guys hip if u stray too low.
                  Always wrap ur hands and wrists. That’s the best advice I learned with the heavy bag. The one day u don’t, is the day u wished u did.

Comment

I think you should spend some time to read the reviews of any bag you wanna use. I used water bag for a long time, it was comfortable for my hand.

Comment

Working...
                    X