Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who could beat a prime Pernell Whitaker?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who could beat a prime Pernell Whitaker?

Was there any fighter that could have beaten a prime Pernell Whitaker convincingly? 4 of Sweet Pea's losses came from either robberies or past his prime.
    The only guys I see having a chance are Duran, Pryor, and Napoles but I'm not sure. What do you think?

Convincingly? I'm not sure.

I think Duran could beat him, I also think Carlos Ortiz could beat him. Both at 135 and 140.

Ike Williams could beat him.

A handful of Lightweight's could beat Whitaker.

I don't think convincingly though. It would be a difficult task to be beat him in convincing fashion.

Napoles didn't do enough below 147 to convince me he could beat Whitaker so I don't agree with that choice.

Pryor I don't see beating Whitaker at all.

Comment

at 135, there some guys that stand a chance. But there's not one LW through out history I'd bet money on against him.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
        Convincingly? I'm not sure.

I think Duran could beat him, I also think Carlos Ortiz could beat him. Both at 135 and 140.

Ike Williams could beat him.

A handful of Lightweight's could beat Whitaker.

I don't think convincingly though. It would be a difficult task to be beat him in convincing fashion.

Napoles didn't do enough below 147 to convince me he could beat Whitaker so I don't agree with that choice.

Pryor I don't see beating Whitaker at all.
        everything he said^^^

and i dont see pryor beating him at all really

Comment

Sweet Pea's first pro loss was in a 15 rounder and I'm pretty sure it was his first title shot. He wasn't exactly in his 'prime' yet though and he lost because he gassed out.

I think Floyd Mayweather at 130 or 135 vs. Sweet Pea would have been one hell of a boxing clinic.

Comment

I think Loreto Garza would of had a good shot at 140

Comment

Since I've been watching lightweight I would say Duran has the best shot and I would actually favor Duran to beat Sweat Pea 7x out of 10. Other than Duran I think Pernell is the best 135lb fighter I have ever seen fight on live TV or in person (not counting old timers like Benny Leonard and Joe Gans.)

However the guys who would have best shot are, Arguello, Mosley and a young prime Casamayor (who is very under-rated at light weight).

Comment

At 135, only Benny Leonard, Gans, and Duran would have beaten him consistently.

Comment

Pacquiao would stop Pernells and beats him the worse, Pacquiao throws too many punches, has the hand speed advantage and Pernell's best punches wouldn't even make Pacquiao blink. But I think plenty of other guys beat Pernell by decision including

Oscar De La Hoya
                  Felix Trinidad
                  Aaron Pryor
                  Roberto Duran
                  Hector Camacho
                  Meldrick Taylor
                  Floyd Mayweather Jr
                  Sugar Ray Leonard
                  Tommy Hearns

and others I am probable forgetting
                  Last edited by SCtrojansbaby; 10-16-2011, 11:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SCtrojansbaby View Post
                    Pacquiao would stop Pernells and beats him the worse, Pacquiao throws too many punches, has the hand speed advantage and Pernell's best punches wouldn't even make Pacquiao blink. But I think plenty of other guys beat Pernell by decision including

Oscar De La Hoya
                    Felix Trinidad
                    Aaron Pryor
                    Roberto Duran
                    Hector Camacho
                    Meldrick Taylor
                    Floyd Mayweather Jr
                    Sugar Ray Leonard
                    Tommy Hearns

and others I am probable forgetting
                    much bigger men.

i think the discussion is generally centered around the LW division, as that was whitaker's best weight

Comment

Working...
                    X