Collapse
No announcement yet.

If boxers can get good money and fight a style that takes the least damage

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree, but they should still be fighting the best possible opponents available and that is rarely the case.

Can anyone explain why Floyd didn't fight Manny in 2009?????

Comment

Originally posted by larryxxx. View Post
      Why in the hell would they take risks in fights that may get them hurt to please people who wont give a damn about them should they take great damage? win, get your money and stay healthy..**** everything else
      There are many who take that route these days. I think fans will support a guy solely because they like him as long as he's winning. If the "0" goes though, they often abandon him.

On the other hand, a guy who wins and gives them memorable fights where they did go for the KO and take risks, will always be more respected. Intelligence is respectable but intelligence coupled with guts is the most respectable. Give the fans what they want. This is a business after all.

Comment

Originally posted by larryxxx. View Post
        Why in the hell would they take risks in fights that may get them hurt to please people who wont give a damn about them should they take great damage?
        Because becoming rich through shunning risk ultimately adds zero value to the sport.

By virtue of what they give back to the fans, i.e. taking risks in competitive, entertaining fights, ATG fighters are lauded for their accomplishments.

From Floyd's perspective, he's been extremely successful. And I'm glad he's healthy and rich as a retired athlete. But I doubt he'll ever be held to the same esteem as the Fab 4 by long term boxing fans. We shall see.

Comment

Originally posted by jmrf4435 View Post
          I agree, but they should still be fighting the best possible opponents available and that is rarely the case.

Refusal of more stringent drug testing by team Pacquiao, Bob Arum's milking Manny for every $ before taking the loss, temporary stadiums, etc...

Comment

Originally posted by -PBP- View Post
            Tyson, Pac, Mayweather, De La Hoya, Leonard, and whoever else were winners and celebrities outside of the ring. The Forbes list included Mayweather and Klitchko for so many years because they were popular and dominant.

The attention you get from being an offensive fighter is temporary and after a handful of losses the fans will lose interest in you. Ruslan Provodnikov, Lucas Matthysse, Mike Alvarado, Brandon Rios, Kamegai, Kirkland, the list goes on.

They generate a temporary spark, get recycled over and over again until they are of no use to anyone.

The most successful boxers with the longest careers are winners. Those that achieve significant levels of wealth became celebrities because of their outside of the ring personalities.
            lol Then don't lose. It's a fact that people are more drawn to a fighting style that involves more action and KO's... It's just the case that a person's fighting style isn't the only thing or even the most important thing to becoming popular.

lol @ saying Tyson's popularity stemmed from his personality. Perhaps in the second half of his career, but in the first half he was completely normal, and he didn't earn the creed of being the baddest man on the planet for no goddamn reason.

Comment

This argument will never end because there is no right answer. Nobody can fault an individual for not wanting to risk his health. But you also can't fault fans for wanting to see exciting fights, and you shouldn't be upset if somebody isn't a fan of a less exciting style. Nobody is in the wrong here. People need to stop worrying about whether or not others agree with them.

Comment

Originally posted by KingTito View Post
                This argument will never end because there is no right answer. Nobody can fault an individual for not wanting to risk his health. But you also can't fault fans for wanting to see exciting fights, and you shouldn't be upset if somebody isn't a fan of a less exciting style. Nobody is in the wrong here. People need to stop worrying about whether or not others agree with them.
                What Larry is too dumb to realise is that often, what benefits fighters works against the fans, and vice-versa.

Fighters wanting to preserve their health whilst making the most money does not make for great fights. But fans wanting wars and huge-risking taking shortens a fighters career and damages their health.

But for Larry to sit here and just say "make your money and **** everything else" is so stupid. It's not as simple as that. Larry is the first to cry when Golovkin takes on Wade and Monroe. But that is essentially what he is arguing for.

The truth is - I will not sit here and be happy about boring fights. That's not why I watch boxing, which is the greatest, purest sport in the world to me. All I really want is competitive fights. I don't need Gatti vs Ward - I want Kovalev vs Ward 2.

I want Spence vs Brook. I don't want Spence to fight like Lara did against Canelo. I want him to fight with bad intentions, just like Brook.

Comment

I don't think there is anything healthy about getting punched in the face. As a boxer you have to decide how best to pursue your career. I don't know why any boxer would risk their health in an already risky sport for the entertainment of fans who'll likely forget about you as soon as you're gone. We've seen enough boxers seriously injured or or even killed in the ring. I think as fans we can agree that such tragedies shouldn't happen in the sport we all enjoy.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofDempsey View Post
                    Floyd paired himself well with big name opponents. His biggest PPVs were as much about his opponent as him. Then he got a guaranteed contract with SHO and he was able to cash in on Guerrero, Ortiz, Maidana and Berto without having to worry about sales. Canelo and Pac brought as much of a fanbase too.

Make no mistake, a majority of buyers paid to see him lose, joke was on them though, he wasn't going to give them a fight. He couldn't fill the venue in his last bought and fans actually walked out halfway through.
                    Explain Ward then

Comment

Originally posted by jmrf4435 View Post

I assume you mean 2010 and Manny walked away over drug testing..this is common knowledge

Comment

Working...
                      X