Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where Did It All Go Wrong Between Ali and Frazier?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by New England View Post
    frazier used to have a reunion with ali whenever it made monetary sense. paid interviews, appearances, etc. from all accounts he was still very bitter toward ali until he died.

i used to work for a radio show, and his publicist used to tell us that "joe is still bitter about some things," and i think that was the best way to describe it.

one of the biggest insults to frazier was muhammad trying to take away his identity as a black man in america, calling him an uncle tom, etc. joe frazier was the son of a share cropper, and literally worked fields when he was young. his youth was anything but favored by white america, and his experience was just as "black" as ali's. ali painted him as a, dumb, subservient and complacent black man, and joe never forgave him for it.

the two were also friends in the 60's, and joe, IIRC, was involved in getting ali a license to train and fight. all of a sudden joe sees this guy he helped out screaming in the media about how he's a gorilla . i'd think the guy two faced, myself.
    According to Marvin Frazier the two got together, hugged and cried and said their pieces before Joe took off.

He wasn't bitter when he died. Which is nice to know

Comment

Originally posted by LacedUp View Post
      According to Marvin Frazier the two got together, hugged and cried and said their pieces before Joe took off.

yeah, i mean i could see that happening and joe still being bitter . and ali still regretting that joe knocked him down. i'm glad they cried it out. that's good to know.

when did they get together for the reunion marvis frazier is referencing?

Comment

Originally posted by LacedUp View Post

Did not know that. I hope it's true.

They gave the world some tremendous fights and left a bit of themselves in the ring all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by muslimer12 View Post
          Frazier called him Clay tho, worst thing you can call a nation of islam follower
          And Ali use too call Frazier a Gorilla. He even wrestled a stuffed one in the ring pretending it's Joe... That's Pretty bad

Comment

I remember from a documentary a few years back that he still hated Ali for his antics at the thrilla in Manila.

Comment

It all went south when Ali made his successful comeback and was aloud to fight again. After Frazier lobbied on his behalf to Nixon to let him fight again and giving him money, Ali publicly destroyed him. All that Uncle Tom ****. It was complete public humiliation. His kids were called the names Ali gave him in school. He was defenseless to Ali's deeply personal attacks.

Comment

Ali talked crappy about a guy that had his back.
                Last edited by Zaroku; 06-06-2016, 08:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Terrel View Post
                  Did not know that. I hope it's true.

They gave the world some tremendous fights and left a bit of themselves in the ring all the time.
                  He said it on "I am Ali".

Comment

It's annoying as **** because Frazier was the one who was raised in extreme poverty with his parents as share croppers in Beaufort, SC. He moved to Philly I think when he was in his early teens by himself and made it in boxing from absolutely nothing.
                    Interesting fact, he broke his left arm badly when he was a young kid. It never healed properly or straight. He developed early on his left hook when he lived in SC before he ever got serious in boxing

Comment

Originally posted by Gentblue View Post
                      And Ali use too call Frazier a Gorilla. He even wrestled a stuffed one in the ring pretending it's Joe... That's Pretty bad
                      Mehhh Ali called Liston an ugly bear, Foreman the mummy, and patterson the rabbit and even gave him carrots. You cant take what he does too seriously.

Comment

Working...
                      X