No announcement yet.

Do you consider Nonito Donaire to be a hall of famer or an all time great

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you consider Nonito Donaire to be a hall of famer or an all time great

He is definitely a hall of famer......He was the lineal featherweight champion, unified junior feather weight champion/ ring champion and held titles flyweight and bantamweight.....very few fighters have had success making the jump from Flyweight to bantamweight or higher except Manny Pacquaio, fighting Harada and Jimmy McClarnin

unlike Pacquaio and McClarnin when they campaigned at 112 he was an adult and turned pro near 20 years old and fought their 8 years. Height-wise he was tall for the weight but he wasn't a young kid there.

I think it will be a long time before we see a fighter win titles from 112-126 and defeat so many top contenders and titleholders in so few fights

Nonito only has 39 fights and won titles in 4 weight classes, 11 former champions/title holders

He isn't the boxer or the best puncher but for what he was I consider him an all time great and its not very Many fighters I'd pick over him from 112-118....I really think he is pushing it fighting at 122-126

HOF Maybe, not ATG.

People give him a lot of flack these days but the guy was a brilliant fighter from around 2007-2012. I think people forget how good he once was.

Comment

Originally posted by deathofaclown View Post
      HOF Maybe, not ATG.

People give him a lot of flack these days but the guy was a brilliant fighter from around 2007-2012. I think people forget how good he once was.
      he was explosive and exciting and went on a tear those years....That Donaire was a bad MFer.....not many in recent memory from 112-118 is beating that Donaire

Comment

I don't. Yes, he beat good contenders, but he lost both times he fought an elite fighter.

Also, take a look at those contenders to see what happened to them - a lot of them went on to lose against lesser competition.

Comment

Great fighter, not sure if HOF yet.

Comment

Hall of Famer but not ATG yet, don't think he will ever be an ATG.

He won world titles don't know why he may not be inducted in the HoF, even Jerry Quarry is in the HoF a fighter that never won a world title. (correct me if I'm wrong).

Comment

Originally posted by j0zef View Post
              I don't. Yes, he beat good contenders, but he lost both times he fought an elite fighter.

Also, take a look at those contenders to see what happened to them - a lot of them went on to lose against lesser competition.
              in his defense 122 and 126 were his fourth and fifth weight class

Fernando Montiel was an elite fighter when they fought and won titles from 112, 115, 118, as was Vic Darchinyan at 112, and Toshiaki Nishioka at 122

he beat a lot of contenders, but these guys were titleholders and champions in their own right....Jorge Arce, Wilfredo Vazquez Jr., Simpwe Vetyeka, Hernan Marquez when he only had one UD loss, Omar Navarez, Volodymyr Sydorenko, Jeffrey Mathebula, Moruti Mthalane

With only 39 fights and 3 losses he has fought some stiff competition and only lost to elite fighters like you said

his resume is pretty impressive

Comment

Not at all.
                He was a good fighter don't get me wrong.
                But hall of famer no! And ATG? No way.

Comment

Arguably a hall of famer alright. At least knocking on the door.

Comment

Originally posted by therealpugilist View Post
                    in his defense 122 and 126 were his fourth and fifth weight class

Fernando Montiel was an elite fighter when they fought and won titles from 112, 115, 118, as was Vic Darchinyan at 112, and Toshiaki Nishioka at 122

he beat a lot of contenders, but these guys were titleholders and champions in their own right....Jorge Arce, Wilfredo Vazquez Jr., Simpwe Vetyeka, Hernan Marquez when he only had one UD loss, Omar Navarez, Volodymyr Sydorenko, Jeffrey Mathebula, Moruti Mthalane

With only 39 fights and 3 losses he has fought some stiff competition and only lost to elite fighters like you said

his resume is pretty impressive
                    After beating Montiel and Marquez good but not HOF worthy Victories he didn't do much. Yes Wilfredo Jr. was a champ, but this kid was a champ only because the amount of belts available. This kid was an amateur posing as a professional. And Arce? common arce was done back in 2009. Nishioka clearly was done and looking to cash in with a fight here in America. Although he beat Narvaez by UD that fight showed just how limited Donaire really was. He couldn't do anything once someone took away his best punch. Once someone could take his power away he had no plan B.

Comment

Working...
                    X