Collapse
No announcement yet.

Some thoughts on Pacquiao v Cotto - I'm started to lean closer towards Cotto

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some thoughts on Pacquiao v Cotto - I'm started to lean closer towards Cotto

I think people are underestimating the fact that Cotto is a very proficient boxer - as in boxer boxer - and if he were to win, that would be his key to victory.

If he takes the Morales/Marquez route of boxing Pacquiao with controlled outbursts of aggression to put some hurt on his body every now and then, he can beat Pacman

Pacquiao's improvement since the second Marquez fight - which he, in my and a lot of other people's eyes, lost - is being overstated somewhat in my opinion. The Pacquiao who crushed De La Hoya and Hatton is not so far from the one Marquez out-thought and often out-fought

Now, Cotto may not be quite as good in the out-thinking area as Marquez, but he evens it up by excelling in the fighting area, with a large advantage in pure brute strength, which should ensure his body attacks bleed out more of Pacquiao's stamina and will to fight along with discouraging him from engaging so freely

When the fight was first rumoured I was really confident Manny had Cotto's number and would likely beat him in a pretty violent fashion, but after some deeper consideration I'm not so sure anymore. Cotto will need to fight the fight of his life and be disciplined from the opening bell to the closing one, but he can do it.

Originally posted by S.G. View Post
    I think people are underestimating the fact that Cotto is a very proficient boxer - as in boxer boxer - and if he were to win, that would be his key to victory.

If he takes the Morales/Marquez route of boxing Pacquiao with controlled outbursts of aggression to put some hurt on his body every now and then, he can beat Pacman

Pacquiao's improvement since the second Marquez fight - which he, in my and a lot of other people's eyes, lost - is being overstated somewhat in my opinion. The Pacquiao who crushed De La Hoya and Hatton is not so far from the one Marquez out-thought and often out-fought

Now, Cotto may not be quite as good in the out-thinking area as Marquez, but he evens it up by excelling in the fighting area, with a large advantage in pure brute strength, which should ensure his body attacks bleed out more of Pacquiao's stamina and will to fight along with discouraging him from engaging so freely

When the fight was first rumoured I was really confident Manny had Cotto's number and would likely beat him in a pretty violent fashion, but after some deeper consideration I'm not so sure anymore. Cotto will need to fight the fight of his life and be disciplined from the opening bell to the closing one, but he can do it.
    2 words: ten pounds

Comment

Originally posted by S.G. View Post

Excellent post.

And I agree, in my eyes Packy has improved SLIGHTLY, but not much. He's still the same fighter in my eyes who is always off balance and is for the most part a one dimensional guy that gets by mostly on speed.

His alleged "development" has more to do with tailor made opponents,clever Arum matchmaking and media hype.

Comment

Originally posted by Pullcounter View Post
        Means nothing.

Comment

thats funny because pac can boxer box too with faster feet and faster hands, and pac is not one dimensional, I don't know where you been for his last few fights, ricky hatton is one dimensional, pac is multi dimensional
          Last edited by bbos; 07-26-2009, 12:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bbos View Post
            thats funny because pac can boxer box too with faster feet and faster hands, and pac is not one dimensional, I don't know where you been for his last few fights, ricky hatton is one dimensional, pac is multi dimensional
            I don't think he's one dimensional at all. But it's well documented and quite clear that he has trouble with top class well educated boxers who don't allow him to engage, and Cotto has it in him to exploit this flaw

He needs to be very careful because Pacquiao can explode at any given moment so he'll need to be constantly two steps ahead of Manny

Comment

I've taken that into account and it largely contributes to Cotto's presumed power advantage

But I don't think it's a game changer, in any way, shape or form

Comment

Cotto beat a faster, Steward even said more skilled, man in Zab Judah. Don't ever forget that. Judah would give Pacqiao problems. At least in the first half of the fight, the front runner that he is. I think that Cotto will overawe Pacqiao.

Comment

Originally posted by JACK D. RIPPER View Post
                  Means nothing.
                  So you disapprove of weight divisions???

Comment

So you disapprove of weight divisions???
                    LOL@ "disapprove"....what a **** word.

No. I REJECT your point of view.

Comment

Working...
                    X