No announcement yet.

Free Will

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Merovingian View Post
    Yes, I understand that however, we are given the right to choose, but essentially told what choices to make or suffer. Most don't want to suffer so they choose what is required of them. If we truly have free will, then we should be free not to believe without risking eternal damnation. (Keep in mind, this from a religious standpoint, not societal)

That sounds like a bit of a paradox. Why would someone who chooses "not to believe" believe they are "risking" anything?

Only those who choose to believe accept the possibility of eternal consequences for poor choices. By offering the question, as you phrased it, you are essentially saying, "Okay, I choose not to believe that God exists; but don't want to go to hell if I'm wrong."

Why would one who doesn't believe in God be worried about any consequencies if they turn out to be wrong? And, in regards to God punishing those who chose not to believe after being told so, why would he make himself a liar by not fulfilling his promise of punishment for those that don't adhere to his commandments?

Comment

Originally posted by Ta Khent View Post
      According to religion, God gave us free will. Yet, we must give our will to God or face eternal damnation. If we do, is it really free? That's like giving someone a million dollars with restrictions on its use. Discuss.
      This **** is only true if you believe in God.

Comment

Working...
      X