Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mayweather and Martinez: Whos styles has the advantage?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by -GDS- View Post
    All said and done, a 160 fight might just be too much for Floyd, especially considering he would have to weigh in over 154 for it to be sanctioned. I would personally advise Floyd to try and take that fight at a catch weight from 155 to 160. Would be very interesting to know what Floyd really was for the Mosley fight. It would be interesting to see if he could fight effectively at 152/3. For the record Jro, you would take Floyd vs Pavlik at 160?
    I don't think you understand how the weight divisions work. neither floyd or martinez have to weigh 160 lbs for the MW title to be on the line. both can come in at 154 lbs or lower with both Martinez's jr MW and MW title on the line if floyd pays for it. the only obstacle is that Pavlik might want his rematch (which if i remember right, he has an immediate rematch clause)

Comment

i think Martinez has the slightly better advantage, he is more active.

Comment

Floyd by UD IMO.

Comment

I haven't seen a lot of Martinez's fights, my impressions from what I have seen he seems fast but is somewhat predictable and vulnerable to counters. If you look at the Pavlik fight, Pavlik struggled with his speed at first but was able to figure him out and had a lot of success in the middle rounds. Mayweather would be able to do the same thing, except it would it would only take him about 2 rounds to adjust instead of 4-5 rounds like it took Pavlik. Sergio did make a great adjustment of his own to win the late rounds so I expect he would have a plan B and plan C against Mayweather as well. However, Mayweather can adapt so much quicker than Pavlik can that whatever Martinez tries Mayweather will soon find a counter for it. Martinez does not seem to have that much power, so his weight advantage might not be as useful as one might expect. Mayweather by UD.

Comment

Their styles are pretty similar. The only difference I see is that Martinez is more offensive minded and Floyd is more defensive minded. Otherwise they're both slick boxers. Martinez uses his legs a lot more though whereas floyd is more flat footed now. I would favor Martinez at 154 and at 160.

Comment

Bumped....................

Comment

Need more votes.............

Comment

Working...
                X