Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will Rigondeaux's textbook footwork beat Lomachenko's unorthodox footwork?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pesticid View Post
    Loma's style is fundamentally wrong just like Roy Jone's was. I explained how he is doing things fundamentally wrong already.
    Except Lomachenko isn't like Roy Jones JR. He doesn't have his hands / guard down like Roy Jones Jr. Rigondeaux, in this department is actually more similar to Roy Jones Jr than Lomachenko is.

As for his footwork, it looks pretty textbook to me. He takes short steps. He is almost always balanced (hence why he has never been dropped professionally whilst Rigondeaux has been dropped multiple times due to balance problems). He also maintains a tight, solid guard whilst moving. All of those things are text book moves.

Rigondeaux performs many unorthodox moves such as bending below the waist and pivoting 180 degrees after ducking. That's just one example.

Comment

Rigo's like 40 years old. He's not winning this fight.

If he does, I will happily eat crow.

Comment

Originally posted by Ganstaz003 View Post
        Except Lomachenko isn't like Roy Jones JR. He doesn't have his hands / guard down like Roy Jones Jr. Rigondeaux, in this department is actually more similar to Roy Jones Jr than Lomachenko is.

As for his footwork, it looks pretty textbook to me. He takes short steps. He is almost always balanced (hence why he has never been dropped professionally whilst Rigondeaux has been dropped multiple times due to balance problems). He also maintains a tight, solid guard whilst moving. All of those things are text book moves.

Rigondeaux performs many unorthodox moves such as bending below the waist and pivoting 180 degrees after ducking. That's just one example.
        He takes his feet off the ground, he crosses his feet, he squares up and he lunges with his footwork. He steps with his heels first and toes second. He was technically knocked down against Gary Russell, I believe it was in the 6th round due to poor balance, however, the ref chose to ignore it. Him being squared up with his footwork gave Salido a lot of opportunities to target the body.

The pivot that he does is not exactly to 180, however when you do it against an orthodox fighter sometimes going over 90 on inside pivots is the safer route. Btw Loma being a southpaw could exploit that move if Rigo decides to do it against him and he could do by crossing his feet and lunging, which is kinda ironic.

Comment

He takes his feet off the ground, he crosses his feet, he squares up and he lunges with his footwork. He steps with his heels first and toes second. He was technically knocked down against Gary Russell, I believe it was in the 6th round due to poor balance, however, the ref chose to ignore it. Him being squared up with his footwork gave Salido a lot of opportunities to target the body.

The pivot that he does is not exactly to 180, however when you do it against an orthodox fighter sometimes going over 90 on inside pivots is the safer route. Btw Loma being a southpaw could exploit that move if Rigo decides to do it against him and he could do by crossing his feet and lunging, which is kinda ironic.
          Can you show some gifs to exemplify those statements because I don't entirely agree. I'm not claiming that Lomachenko is 100% flawless in terms of textbook fundamentals. However, my point is that he isn't any less 'textbook' compared to Guillermo Rigondeaux. If you're going to claim that Lomachenko isn't fully textbook with his footwork, then neither is Rigondeaux as far as I'm concerned.

As I've already stated, Lomachenko improvises new creative moves whilst sticking to the textbook fundamentals as much as he can. As a result ,there may be may be occasions where he may look somewhat flawed from a textbook perspective. However, unlike pure athletic boxers like Roy Jones Jr for example. I genuinely believe that if he really wants to box using full textbook fundamentals in terms of footwork and movement whilst abandoning those other improvised / creative moves, then he could. He keeps his guard tight and moves his head in a text book fashion. Similar to prime Mike Tyson.

Comment

Originally posted by Ganstaz003 View Post
            Can you show some gifs to exemplify those statements because I don't entirely agree. I'm not claiming that Lomachenko is 100% flawless in terms of textbook fundamentals. However, my point is that he isn't any less 'textbook' compared to Guillermo Rigondeaux. If you're going to claim that Lomachenko isn't fully textbook with his footwork, then neither is Rigondeaux as far as I'm concerned.

As I've already stated, Lomachenko improvises new creative moves whilst sticking to the textbook fundamentals as much as he can. As a result ,there may be may be occasions where he may look somewhat flawed from a textbook perspective. However, unlike pure athletic boxers like Roy Jones Jr for example. I genuinely believe that if he really wants to box using full textbook fundamentals in terms of footwork and movement whilst abandoning those other improvised / creative moves, then he could. He keeps his guard tight and moves his head in a text book fashion. Similar to prime Mike Tyson.
            Dude, stop it, Loma is great, he is unorthodox and has a style that we haven`t seen before, not to my knowledge anyway. You can look at any Loma fight and see what I am talking about, crossing his feet, stepping with his heal first, punching in the air and so on and so forth. You can see these flaws of his in every Loma fight even in his highlights and nobody`s made him pay for it dearly because of his unreal talent. Rigo`s footwork is as textbook as they come, yeah he does the inside pivot a little bigger, yeah he crosses his feet sometimes going to his left to set you up but step by step, inch by inch his footwork is the best in the pro game right now in terms of pure fundamentals and knowledge. There is a reason nobody`s been even able to hit him to the body. His feet and angles are so educated he`s never there to be hit.

Comment

Dude, stop it, Loma is great, he is unorthodox and has a style that we haven`t seen before, not to my knowledge anyway. You can look at any Loma fight and see what I am talking about, crossing his feet, stepping with his heal first, punching in the air and so on and so forth. You can see these flaws of his in every Loma fight even in his highlights and nobody`s made him pay for it dearly because of his unreal talent. Rigo`s footwork is as textbook as they come, yeah he does the inside pivot a little bigger, yeah he crosses his feet sometimes going to his left to set you up but step by step, inch by inch his footwork is the best in the pro game right now in terms of pure fundamentals and knowledge. There is a reason nobody`s been even able to hit him to the body. His feet and angles are so educated he`s never there to be hit.

I'm not denying that Lomachenko is unorthodox. My point is, he is one of those boxers who is unorthodox whilst also being able to use fundamental text book moves simultaneously. Perhaps not entirely, but enough compared to other unorthodox boxers since it's probably impossible to box with 100% fundamentally text book maneuvers when also being unorthodox.

If you are unable to see the difference between Vasyl Lomachenko's unorthodox style, compared to Roy Jones Jr', David Haye's or Chris Eubank Jr's unorthodox styles, then you lack sufficient awareness and knowledge (no offense intended). For a boxer with an unorthodox style, Lomachenko does many things which are brilliant from a fundamentally textbook perspective.

As for the comparison between Lomachenko and Rigondeaux, I can't agree with your assessment. Rigondeaux doesn't look any better when it comes to fundamental textbook moves compared to Vasyl Lomachenko. If anything, both are equally good / bad as each other in this department. Some of the flaws you've mentioned for Lomachenko, exists also for Rigondeaux as well. I've seen his bouts and he also crosses his feet. In addition, he has relatively worse balance (since he has been dropped more times than Lomachenko being off balanced) and his stance is usually wider than it should be from a fundamentally textbook perspective, which also plays a part in his balance problems. Lomachenko has only been exposed to have bad balance on one occassion against Gary Russel Jr. On the other hand, Rigondeaux has been exposed multiple times. Such as against a low tier boxer in Amigasa and also against Nonito Donaire. Both who dropped Rigondeaux whilst he was off balanced.

So really, the evidence doesn't suggest that Rigondeaux has better fundamentally textbook footwork than Lomachenko. Both are pretty unorthodox but in different ways. Overall, they are equally good in this department (textbook footwork). Rigondeaux does many things like Lomachenko which are unorthodox. Such as his pivots for example.

If you want the best examples of boxers who have the best fundamentally pure text book footwork, then those are Wladimir Klitschko, Gennady Golovkin, Mikey Garcia and Juan Manuel Marquez. None of them do anything fancy, flamboyant or flashy. their footwork is all about effectiveness and is to the point.

Comment

Loma's known for his unorthodox footwork kind of like Pacquaiao but with a lot more nuances and cross steps, and that's his biggest advantage in any fight.

Will it be against Rigo though? If you look closely Loma is punching with his feet in the air, crossing his feet where he is completely off balance, stepping heel first toe second. All of these things are major no-no's in boxing, but he's been making it work because of his unreal talent.

So everybody thinks his footwork is phenomenal simply because nobody's been able to take advantage of the errors he makes ( being on his heels, squared-up, punching with his feet up in the air, stepping with the heel first, having his lead leg a little too straight at times).

Rigo while old and small also has a very unreal talent and his footwork is as textbook as they come.

I am very curious to see if Loma's talent will again let him get away with the errors he does when he lunges in and squares up cause Rigo's definitely the man the exploit these holes in Loma's game that everybody thinks it's Loma's main advantages.

Let's see how this dance unfolds, btw, my Heina badder than your avi, and slaps my ugly face when I slips..

Comment

Isn't this the same criticism Pacquiao took for the last eight years about his footwork? They where picking apart the flaws of Pac left and right yet none exploited it. Not even Floyd, but only Marquez who took 42 rounds.

Comment

Originally posted by Thraxox View Post
                    Isn't this the same criticism Pacquiao took for the last eight years about his footwork? They where picking apart the flaws of Pac left and right yet none exploited it. Not even Floyd, but only Marquez who took 42 rounds.
                    Exactly my point, which is why this fight interests me so much. It might be that Rigondeaux is completely befuddled by Loma's movement or might be that Rigo's use of footwork negates Loma's angles in and out and side stepping.

Comment

Loma's known for his unorthodox footwork kind of like Pacquaiao but with a lot more nuances and cross steps, and that's his biggest advantage in any fight.

Will it be against Rigo though? If you look closely Loma is punching with his feet in the air, crossing his feet where he is completely off balance, stepping heel first toe second. All of these things are major no-no's in boxing, but he's been making it work because of his unreal talent.

So everybody thinks his footwork is phenomenal simply because nobody's been able to take advantage of the errors he makes ( being on his heels, squared-up, punching with his feet up in the air, stepping with the heel first, having his lead leg a little too straight at times).

Rigo while old and small also has a very unreal talent and his footwork is as textbook as they come.

I am very curious to see if Loma's talent will again let him get away with the errors he does when he lunges in and squares up cause Rigo's definitely the man the exploit these holes in Loma's game that everybody thinks it's Loma's main advantages.
                      No. A good big man almost always beats a good little man. I don’t see this changing in his fight. Loma ko10.

Comment

Working...
                      X