Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What would you guys rather see ur team win, the premier league or the champions league?

Comment

• None of the following are my team, but from the outside looking in - i'd say main achievement would be;

Man City - Champions League
      Liverpool - League
      Chelsea - Champions League
      Man Utd - Could argue both, continue domestic dominance or chase more European glory?
      Arsenal - League
      Tottenham - Any trophy whatsoever

Comment

• Originally posted by black.ink View Post
        None of the following are my team, but from the outside looking in - i'd say main achievement would be;

Man City - Champions League
        Liverpool - League
        Chelsea - Champions League
        Man Utd - Could argue both, continue domestic dominance or chase more European glory?
        Arsenal - League
        Tottenham - Any trophy whatsoever
        Yeah I as a Liverpool fan and I’m sure most Liverpool fans would rather win the league, I can’t speak for everyone but for me I would rather the league at the moment because of the long title drought.

I see the champions league as the ultimate prize in club football though.

The reason I asked is because i’ve always assumed it was agreed the champions league was the pinnacle/ best trophy to win. In the last few months I’ve heard different views though, the likes of Graeme souness and Gary Neville were on Sky saying the league is the benchmark and the best trophy but then Lampard when asked about the two said ‘champions league all day’

Comment

• Most people will probably say Champions League because of the prestige attached. Fair enough.

But you can fluke a CL to some extent. League football is the absolute test of consistency.

Also, no one gives a ***** about or discusses the CL for about 40 weeks of the year. League football is bread and butter and that's what everyone discusses on a day-to-day basis. European comps (and international football) are side pieces imo. The talk at the beginning of every season is "Who's gonna win the league?".

Comment

• Originally posted by El Fenomeno View Post
            Respectfully disagree.

He joins Alexis Sanchez in the list of players who should've signed at prospered at City.

Busquets probably would've been hounded out of Chelsea after a season.
            We’ll have to see.

I’d pick Drinkwater ahead of Jorginho.

I don’t think it’s a Chelsea thing. I think he has no athleticism.

He’s bang in trouble in this league.

City he might suit if only right now they are the best team.

City will get someone better.

If they really fancied him they would have gazumped Chelsea.

Those Barca heads at City know what they’re doing

Comment

• Originally posted by Caught Square View Post
              What would you guys rather see ur team win, the premier league or the champions league?
              Won the league a bunch of times now.

Champions league is the one.

There is an element of luck needed to win it but it’s the best one.

1 CL is worth 5 league titles imo

Comment

• Depends on which club your at imo.. to the likes of Madrid.. Barca.. United.. Chelsea.. Juve who have won the league a lot over the past couple decades.. the CL will for sure mean more..

On the other hand a club like Liverpool who have won the CL.. but not won the league in 20 odd years? well i'd imagine most of them would want to win the league first

Originally posted by El Fenomeno View Post
                Most people will probably say Champions League because of the prestige attached. Fair enough.

But you can fluke a CL to some extent. League football is the absolute test of consistency.

Also, no one gives a ***** about or discusses the CL for about 40 weeks of the year. League football is bread and butter and that's what everyone discusses on a day-to-day basis. European comps (and international football) are side pieces imo. The talk at the beginning of every season is "Who's gonna win the league?".
                How exactly can you "fluke" a champions league? it's a league format.. followed by double leg KO stage until the final.. If the team is supposedly better they should be able to get the job done over 2 games

Mourhino Porto win often gets called a fluke.. but i don't get that either.. the "big" names weren't good enough that season and got knocked out early.. Porto did the business vs the rest of the pack

Comment

• Chelsea were fortunate in ‘12

But for me it’s still less than par.

Between 04 to 12. We should have won that **** at least 3 times minimum

09 being the worst or even Ranieri managing to get dicked by 10 man Monaco with right winger Robert Huth. And the fixed game at Stamford Bridge with Barca. The ghost goal at Liverpool or a lick of paint against United in the final in 08.

I’m not having incompetence in that Barca game.

There is a reason why that ref retired after that one and it’s because he knows he’d be found out. Not death threats! Ffs.

Really in terms of football I know I whinge about it. But Chelsea have basically completed football and in my lifetime.

The only thing I can think of that would eclipse what we’ve done so far is if we beat Barcelona in the champions league final.

Preferably in the flukiest way possible tbh.

Like with 3% possession and a 93rd minute og clinching it. Preferably in their own stadium too.

I don’t dislike any English teams apart from Liverpool tbh and even then I like Klopp.

Mourinho being a bit of b.itch. Benitez inexplicably managing Chelsea and Brenda leaving them with that chip on his shoulder has even killed that one.

Spurs is the other one. But Poch and actually quite a few of their players are quite obviously quite good eggs.

But Barca. Feck me.

They’re like the f.ucking Gorgons from the Hurricanes.

Comment

• The ref in the Barca-Chelsea semi in 09 had an absolute mare that night no doubt.

But it wasn’t all against Chelsea, Abidal got sent off because Anelka tripped over his own leg.

As for the 05 ghost goal and whether it went in or not the honest answer is simply inconclusive. It’s crazy how even in the replays there isn’t a camera angle where you can see for sure if it crosses the line, unacceptable really. Anyway, it would have been a penalty and a red card for Cech had it not been given.

Those champions league battles between Liverpool and Chelsea were intense though, very even and tactical until the most recent one. Every damn year we got drawn against each other, even in the group stage the one time it was possible for two English teams to meet in the groups.

Comment

• Originally posted by MOTHERDUCKER View Post
                      How exactly can you "fluke" a champions league? it's a league format.. followed by double leg KO stage until the final.. If the team is supposedly better they should be able to get the job done over 2 games

Mourhino Porto win often gets called a fluke.. but i don't get that either.. the "big" names weren't good enough that season and got knocked out early.. Porto did the business vs the rest of the pack
                      I just think there's a large element of luck that goes into it.

Like Sparked said, Chelsea were very fortunate in 2012. They parked the bus from the last 8 onwards. 9 times out of 10 they wouldn't get that result they got in the Nou Camp (or even in the final), but things went their way on the day.

He's right in that they could and probably should've won it a couple of times in the mid-to-late '00s though. The semi finals against Liverpool ring a bell, Chelsea were obviously the superior team at that time.

Generally with a league, the best team in each country for that season will win it.

Real Madrid have had this amazing period of winning 4 CLs but they've had big slices of good fortune at times in each of those campaigns. Ronaldo showed up with some devastating moments of matchwinning quality at times too, which obviously helps.

Whereas in domestic football, they've won 2 league titles in 11 years. Doubtful that they're gonna change that this year either.

Zidane himself said whilst at Madrid that he sees the league as the harder competition to win:

https://www.goal.com/en-in/news/zida...g13ln6lq5beqo3

"It's more difficult. I've always said that: it's more difficult," he said when asked about the difference between La Liga and European competition.

Comment

Working...
                      X