No announcement yet.

Mikey "Daring to be Great"

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mikey "Daring to be Great"

"Daring to be Great" huh. Too bad it showed he isn't really great after all. The saying goes, "great small man beats a good big man", looks like there's nothing great about Garcia.

We all know Mikey got a big ass head, but that literally can have 2 meanings: physical, and ego. How does Mikey say Spence is good, but he's better than him in every way, but can't even win 1 f'in round!

Can't think of another "great" fighter who lost 12-0, such an embarrassment.

Mikey really must've just wanted this so when he loses to loma he can already say "I was weight drained" etc

Again, how does someone who is "greater" than another in every way lose 12-0 and doesn't even want to throw punches

Originally posted by Gigantes View Post
    "Daring to be Great" huh. Too bad it showed he isn't really great after all. The saying goes, "great small man beats a good big man", looks like there's nothing great about Garcia.

We all know Mikey got a big ass head, but that literally can have 2 meanings: physical, and ego. How does Mikey say Spence is good, but he's better than him in every way, but can't even win 1 f'in round!

Mikey really must've just wanted this so when he loses to loma he can already say "I was weight drained" etc

Again, how does someone who is "greater" than another in every way lose 12-0 and doesn't even want to throw punches
    I too think Mikey did this so he can make excuses. He also did this to "prove" hes the A side vs Lomachenko when he clearly isnt.

Even though Lomachenko may be feather fisted I would probably now, after seeing how poorly he did against Spence, pick Lomachenko by KO or quit.

It's the shot you don't see coming that will knock you out. Lomachenko has better footwork and far better angles than Spence. He will beat Mikey to the punch every single time.

Mikey only survived as long as he did because that's exactly all he did. It's no different than what pedraza did against Lomachenko. He lost nearly every round and was content surviving. A moral victory.

Comment

He was overrated and Spence was underrated. A lightweight version of Spence would still box the ears off of the lightweight Mikey. Spence is just better in every way including PFP. Mikey was very good but he never was great. You can't dare to be great if you don't have it in you. Mikey under performed and after a few rounds just fought to go the distance.

Comment

I said time before this fight was a mismatch. The only thing I was wrong, was that Spence would stop Mikey. I thought he would really pick up the pace towards the 7th and later rounds, and go for a stoppage once he figured out Mikey. Seems he was content to carefully box his way to a victory, though.

Spence had all of the following advantages:
        -Weight: Heavier and stronger fighter
        -Condition/Diet: Higher work-rate, better dieting, and more athletic
        -Height/reach: 3.5" height advantage, 4" reach advantage
        -Durability: Definitely more durable. Fights at 147 against bigger opponents, and arguably is a large 147 lb. version fighter in comparison to most men in the division. No doubt he can take harder punches better than Mikey.

Anyone that has ever boxed already knows it's a pain in the ass fighting taller man. It's almost a hopeless scenario when they are a better conditioned fighter and much more stronger than you. Normally in scenarios where the smaller fighter is much shorter, the smaller fighter would probably be stronger/similar weight. This wasn't the case--- Mikey gave those two assets up moving up to fight Spence at 147.

It's clear as day Mikey was hoping Spence would be overly-aggressive, and that Mikey could counter/time Spence. But Spence and his team didn't follow through with that. They boxed precisely and more conservatively. A shorter fighter who relies on counter-punching and timing, you take away his ability to do that and what can they do? Mikey isn't exactly a very quick fighter in terms of movement. It's hard enough to land punches when there is a reach/height disadvantage, but when you have to be careful because you know your opponent can take your punches, but you can't take theirs as well--- your strategy goes flying out the window.

Comment

He was exposed. End of. I dont care if he was.smaller he showed literally no signs of being an elite p4p level fighter.

Comment

Mayweather defeats Marquez via Unanimous Decision. (120-107, 119-108, 118-109)

Comment

Originally posted by Ogecca MaMa View Post
              and folks were bursting out, when I said Mikey is ducking Loma. he won't fight him aftermath.

hell no you stupid commie, Mikey is chasing greatness. most of replies i got.

Teofimo Im a superstar, hasn't fought anyone with a heartbeat, ain't waiting on that dancer Vasiliy. Moving up into 140, Loma is a duck.

Tank, let me grow my balls just a bit more, I will be ready, I promise. I'm already giving Loma english classes on Insta.

everything is so obvious, but no... Mikey chasing greatness, he didnt get koed doe. Lasted 12 rounds and in fact, while Loma was in hospital Mikey did said he was ready for him.

wonder what type of fans of this brilliant sport, we'll have in 10 years
              Just posted in other thread. Doubt he even fights him. Daring to be great doesn't want to be fully exposed. He will be begging for catch weight 137-138lbs.

I honestly think there should be p4p list of boxers that run mouth about fight Vasiliy and duck him eventually. I'll eat my words, if Mikey does go down to 135 for mega fight, let me know when this happens

Comment

Robert Garcia knows boxing and he knows his little brother, Mikey. He had it right when he tried to talk him out of fighting Spence when he first brought it up. Little bro should have listened to big bro. Lesson learned, maybe.

Comment

It's happened a lot in boxing where guys have moved up and been embarrassed but it doesn't really take a great deal away from them IMO.

I personally don't think Mikey is a "great" but I still think he's elite and one of the 10 best boxers in the world (probably around 9 or 10). I feel he sort of strategically went about his division hopping (didn't fight the #1 guys in his divisions and collecting trinkets then dropping them barely without defending) to be an "x amount division champion" and he showed great ambition facing Spence but he's not gotten to the clear #1 spot in any division yet and hasn't won a fight where it was considered vs. the #1 or considered an elite opponent. I think if he dropped back down to 140 and was able to become undisputed he'd be on his way.

His skill level is very good but was overrated IMO. I never really liked the Marquez comparisons because first of all Marquez faced all styles of opponents but also to compare their skill was far fetched. Mikey does the basics very well and he has power but he's not a great combination puncher or elite counter puncher. He's got a great 1-2 but I'd like to see him fight more in his natural weight vs. guys who'll give him angles, can move their feet, have good defense etc; I think that's a bigger measure of how good he is than giving up too much to challenge Spence.

This loss doesn't define him in the same way his being a "4-time world champion" didn't define him. He's still an excellent fighter who's at the elite level in the sport and can be part of some compelling matches. He's not great (yet) but he could be as he potentially has the skills. I just worry he won't force the right fights and if he wants more PPV level fights its where he will be outsized again at 147.

Comment

Originally posted by Socialtwinkie View Post
                    I too think Mikey did this so he can make excuses. He also did this to "prove" hes the A side vs Lomachenko when he clearly isnt.

Even though Lomachenko may be feather fisted I would probably now, after seeing how poorly he did against Spence, pick Lomachenko by KO or quit.

It's the shot you don't see coming that will knock you out. Lomachenko has better footwork and far better angles than Spence. He will beat Mikey to the punch every single time.

Mikey only survived as long as he did because that's exactly all he did. It's no different than what pedraza did against Lomachenko. He lost nearly every round and was content surviving. A moral victory.
                    Originally posted by boliodogs View Post
                    He was overrated and Spence was underrated. A lightweight version of Spence would still box the ears off of the lightweight Mikey. Spence is just better in every way including PFP. Mikey was very good but he never was great. You can't dare to be great if you don't have it in you. Mikey under performed and after a few rounds just fought to go the distance.
                    Originally posted by SniXSniPe View Post
                    I said time before this fight was a mismatch. The only thing I was wrong, was that Spence would stop Mikey. I thought he would really pick up the pace towards the 7th and later rounds, and go for a stoppage once he figured out Mikey. Seems he was content to carefully box his way to a victory, though.

Spence had all of the following advantages:
                    -Weight: Heavier and stronger fighter
                    -Condition/Diet: Higher work-rate, better dieting, and more athletic
                    -Height/reach: 3.5" height advantage, 4" reach advantage
                    -Durability: Definitely more durable. Fights at 147 against bigger opponents, and arguably is a large 147 lb. version fighter in comparison to most men in the division. No doubt he can take harder punches better than Mikey.

Anyone that has ever boxed already knows it's a pain in the ass fighting taller man. It's almost a hopeless scenario when they are a better conditioned fighter and much more stronger than you. Normally in scenarios where the smaller fighter is much shorter, the smaller fighter would probably be stronger/similar weight. This wasn't the case--- Mikey gave those two assets up moving up to fight Spence at 147.

It's clear as day Mikey was hoping Spence would be overly-aggressive, and that Mikey could counter/time Spence. But Spence and his team didn't follow through with that. They boxed precisely and more conservatively. A shorter fighter who relies on counter-punching and timing, you take away his ability to do that and what can they do? Mikey isn't exactly a very quick fighter in terms of movement. It's hard enough to land punches when there is a reach/height disadvantage, but when you have to be careful because you know your opponent can take your punches, but you can't take theirs as well--- your strategy goes flying out the window.
                    Originally posted by Ogecca MaMa View Post
                    Just posted in other thread. Doubt he even fights him. Daring to be great doesn't want to be fully exposed. He will be begging for catch weight 137-138lbs.

I honestly think there should be p4p list of boxers that run mouth about fight Vasiliy and duck him eventually. I'll eat my words, if Mikey does go down to 135 for mega fight, let me know when this happens
                    Originally posted by SUBZER0ED View Post
                    Robert Garcia knows boxing and he knows his little brother, Mikey. He had it right when he tried to talk him out of fighting Spence when he first brought it up. Little bro should have listened to big bro. Lesson learned, maybe.
                    Originally posted by chrisJS View Post
                    It's happened a lot in boxing where guys have moved up and been embarrassed but it doesn't really take a great deal away from them IMO.

I personally don't think Mikey is a "great" but I still think he's elite and one of the 10 best boxers in the world (probably around 9 or 10). I feel he sort of strategically went about his division hopping (didn't fight the #1 guys in his divisions and collecting trinkets then dropping them barely without defending) to be an "x amount division champion" and he showed great ambition facing Spence but he's not gotten to the clear #1 spot in any division yet and hasn't won a fight where it was considered vs. the #1 or considered an elite opponent. I think if he dropped back down to 140 and was able to become undisputed he'd be on his way.

His skill level is very good but was overrated IMO. I never really liked the Marquez comparisons because first of all Marquez faced all styles of opponents but also to compare their skill was far fetched. Mikey does the basics very well and he has power but he's not a great combination puncher or elite counter puncher. He's got a great 1-2 but I'd like to see him fight more in his natural weight vs. guys who'll give him angles, can move their feet, have good defense etc; I think that's a bigger measure of how good he is than giving up too much to challenge Spence.

This loss doesn't define him in the same way his being a "4-time world champion" didn't define him. He's still an excellent fighter who's at the elite level in the sport and can be part of some compelling matches. He's not great (yet) but he could be as he potentially has the skills. I just worry he won't force the right fights and if he wants more PPV level fights its where he will be outsized again at 147.
                    nice posts

Comment

Working...
                    X