No announcement yet.

Joe Frazier training techniques

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can't swim or lift much weight either lol

IMO lifting weights aren't good for boxing unless you jerk them rapidly like Usain Bolt.

Comment

Originally posted by CubanGuyNYC View Post
      I don't agree with the bold. All things being equal, being athletic as a fighter is a definite advantage. Of course, if you're athletic and don't know how to fight, you're probably gonna get your ass kicked. lol
      Nice sig, Ramirez could be a potential mainstream star for Cuba if he goes pro, he could even go to Rio and get another gold at 22. And go to the pros, so there's no rush for him.

And yeah of course being athletic helps, but many of the great fighters in history in boxing were not gifted athletes, they just knew how to fight and receive a punch, fighters like Frazier, Hopkins, Chavez Jr., etc.

So the theory that all the HW's champions are on the NFL, is kind of sketchy, you need a different kind of animal for boxing.

Comment

With his incredible athleticism I've no doubt that Frazier would be playing in the NFL today. That's how it works, right?

Comment

Frazier was not an athlete but a fighter. There have been boxers who have been both but it is not necessary, especially when you carve out a unique style as Frazier's.

He would have probably done a little better had he actually prepared for any of those contests though. His training consisted mostly old time techniques, which meant a lot of bodyweight exercises, skipping the rope and long distance jogs. As previously noted, he had probably never lifted weights in his life, atleast I never saw him do it on his training footage.

He may have had a chance at winning in a marathon. Ali would've obviously done a bit better in a show like this.

Comment

Originally posted by ksan View Post
            Nice sig, Ramirez could be a potential mainstream star for Cuba if he goes pro, he could even go to Rio and get another gold at 22. And go to the pros, so there's no rush for him.

And yeah of course being athletic helps, but many of the great fighters in history in boxing were not gifted athletes, they just knew how to fight and receive a punch, fighters like Frazier, Hopkins, Chavez Jr., etc.

So the theory that all the HW's champions are on the NFL, is kind of sketchy, you need a different kind of animal for boxing.
            Agreed. I think Robeisy has plenty of time to work on his game in the amateurs. No need to rush the kid into a professional career, even if he's willing to defect. If he wins gold again in Brazil, then it's time.

I also agree that fighters are a breed apart, and that the "NFL argument" is iffy at best. Former players like "Too Tall" Jones and Mark Gastineau tried switching to boxing and didn't do too well. Not great examples, I admit, but they are notable.

Comment

Originally posted by ksan View Post

It's extremely sketchy, and implies a whole lot about the paths of people and the choices they have and make in their lives. There's absolutely no reason to assume that all the HW champs are in the NFL....why not assume that all the HW champs are wearing military uniforms somewhere...or working in a factory, or getting their education, or teaching, or any other profession.

I have no doubt there would have been a number of NFL or NBA players who could have been boxers, but to the extent some people and writers go to say HW are dead because of that is just a theory that, IMO, is layered in stereotypes of black men. Sports isn't all they are qualified for.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreatA View Post
                Frazier was not an athlete but a fighter. There have been boxers who have been both but it is not necessary, especially when you carve out a unique style as Frazier's.

He would have probably done a little better had he actually prepared for any of those contests though. His training consisted mostly old time techniques, which meant a lot of bodyweight exercises, skipping the rope and long distance jogs. As previously noted, he had probably never lifted weights in his life, atleast I never saw him do it on his training footage.

He may have had a chance at winning in a marathon. Ali would've obviously done a bit better in a show like this.
                So much of being good at anything is actually doing the specific activity. For instance, just because someone runs a lot doesn't mean they'd be good at sprinting or even long distance. They would have to dedicate some time to developing specific attributes.

Frazier might've been expected to be unusually strong at lifting weights, simply because he was a murderous puncher, but one thing doesn't necessarily correlate to another. There are major league pitchers that throw in excess of 100 mph. One wouldn't expect them to be particularly good at weightlifting. Why should Joe be any different?

Not that it means much, but I would bet Frazier possessed what we might term "real-world strength." He might not have been very good at lifting weights, but I'll wager he was a naturally strong man. It probably wouldn't have taken "Smokin'" Joe too long to translate his inborn strength into impressively heavy lifts.

Comment

Originally posted by LA_2_Vegas View Post
                  It's extremely sketchy, and implies a whole lot about the paths of people and the choices they have and make in their lives. There's absolutely no reason to assume that all the HW champs are in the NFL....why not assume that all the HW champs are wearing military uniforms somewhere...or working in a factory, or getting their education, or teaching, or any other profession.

I have no doubt there would have been a number of NFL or NBA players who could have been boxers, but to the extent some people and writers go to say HW are dead because of that is just a theory that, IMO, is layered in stereotypes of black men. Sports isn't all they are qualified for.
                  The bold is so deceptively perceptive that I had to laugh. Green K, bro.

Comment

Originally posted by CubanGuyNYC View Post
                    So much of being good at anything is actually doing the specific activity. For instance, just because someone runs a lot doesn't mean they'd be good at sprinting or even long distance. They would have to dedicate some time to developing specific attributes.

Frazier might've been expected to be unusually strong at lifting weights, simply because he was a murderous puncher, but one thing doesn't necessarily correlate to another. There are major league pitchers that throw in excess of 100 mph. One wouldn't expect them to be particularly good at weightlifting. Why should Joe be any different?

Not that it means much, but I would bet Frazier possessed what we might term "real-world strength." He might not have been very good at lifting weights, but I'll wager he was a naturally strong man. It probably wouldn't have taken "Smokin'" Joe too long to translate his inborn strength into impressively heavy lifts.
                    Frazier had to be relatively strong considering that he did physical work for all his life and made a career out of pushing men bigger than him around the ring, including the likes of 245 lb Buster Mathis.

As you say, it does not really matter without a clue on weight-lifting techniques and what type of effort is needed. It's a very specific exercise and a first timer will always struggle regardless of their strength.

I wouldn't be surprised if even a George Foreman, bull-strong as he was, would be embarrassed in a similar situation if he were facing competitors that had regularly lifted weights, not that he would've struggled with a 170 lb lift.

Comment

cool find, but yeah he was still an atg...those guys wouldnt have the balls to compete in his port

Comment

Working...
                      X