Collapse
No announcement yet.

P4P - Pacquaio vs Pernell Whitaker

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'll go out on a limb here and say Pernell Whitaker gets stopped. I don't like Pacquiao at all, but he'd land on Whitaker and either knock him out or the fight would be stopped in the corner. Whitaker was not a counter-puncher, so he'd make Pacquiao look absolutely horrible but Manny would eventually catch him with something.

Comment

Originally posted by 4Corners View Post
      Haha Yeah okay. I'm not going to lie unlike you, been watching since the early 80's, when I was a young kid. Son???

You've probably watched it on youtube if you think Pernell would go into a shell like Clottey or if you think he'd pull a Mosley and not fight back, you've obviously never watched Pernell even on youtube, let alone when he was fighting during his prime like I have, along with others on here. Keep trying, son.
      how could i not watch pernell if i'd been watchin ali, tyson, duran on tv. i was a young kid when i saw thrilla in manila so yeah... son.

i like pernell, his resume rocks, but i think he's a tad bit overrated by some ppl. he couldn't hurt pac, and pac is as fast and more powerful. it could really come down to a boring fight w/ lots of running.
      Last edited by Twako; 05-08-2012, 03:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Twako View Post
        sure, but once pac hits him clean once, whitaker will do a mosley. or a cotto. or a delahoya.
        Did you see his fight with Trinidad at age 35 at 147....Whitaker took hellacious shots from a huge welterweight and made it to the last bell...Tito has knocked out middelweights, Pacquaio does have the power and strength Trinidad had....Whitaker was too elusive, a southpaw as well, had a great right jab and threw very good combos and body shots...Manny wouldnt respect his power, but the game is hit and not get hit....Whitaker would land the cleaner shots and more of them. Manny hasnt done to well against a boxer/counterpuncher

Comment

Originally posted by SonnyDempsey View Post
          I'll go out on a limb here and say Pernell Whitaker gets stopped. I don't like Pacquiao at all, but he'd land on Whitaker and either knock him out or the fight would be stopped in the corner. Whitaker was not a counter-puncher, so he'd make Pacquiao look absolutely horrible but Manny would eventually catch him with something.
          Sweet Pea fought bigger punchers than Manny and Bigger guys(DLH, Trinidad, Vazquez at 154, McGirt, etc.) and didnt get stopped, dont see him landing enough to tko or ko Whitaker...also past 130 Manny isnt a huge puncher outside the Hatton fight all his tko wins are accumulation wins where he landed a load of punches and he wouldnt against Sweet Pea

Comment

Originally posted by Twako View Post
            how could i not watch pernell if i'd been watchin ali, tyson, duran on tv. i was a young kid when i saw thrilla in manila so yeah... son.

i like pernell, his resume rocks, but i think he's a tad bit overrated by some ppl. he couldn't hurt pac, and pac is as fast and more powerful. it could really come down to a boring fight w/ lots of running.
            Well it makes me question how old you really are, or how you long you really have been watching the sport, when you say things like Pernell will go into a Clottey shell or not fight back like Mosley, Pernell never went full shell and didn't fight back.

And no.....not "son".....that's just ridiculous.

Comment

Pacquiao by KO,

Whitaker could not live with his speed, work rate or power. Pernell could not run all night and expect to pick up rounds.

11th round KO from Pacquiao.

Comment

I think can go either way but would give Whitaker the edge, Whitaker wouldn't 'toy' with him though, both are great fighters but Whitaker clearly has boxing edge.. Pac power

Comment

Originally posted by D4thincarnation View Post
                  Pacquiao by KO,

Whitaker could not live with his speed, work rate or power. Pernell could not run all night and expect to pick up rounds.

11th round KO from Pacquiao.

Comment

Hope the ref would pick Pernell up on all that ducking bellow the waist and turning his back on his opponent.

He got away with a lot of that.

Pernell thought that if he could stand in the middle of the ring dodge a few punches dance around and then look at you funny, he was winning the round.

It's boxing not a dance contest.

Oscar beat him. Pacquiao would KO him.

Comment

sweet pea beats pac at any weight but pac has surpassed sweet pea's resume.

Comment

Working...
                      X