Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: George Groves: I'd Love To Unify, That Will Be The Next Goal

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: George Groves: I'd Love To Unify, That Will Be The Next Goal

The man finally did it this past Saturday night. George Groves became a world boxing champion at his fourth attempt when he stopped Fedor Chudinov in the sixth round for the vacant WBA super middleweight belt. Chudinov had lost only once, and started better until he clashed heads, cutting Groves over his left eye. Groves rallied from there, a right hook starting a barrage in the sixth round which forced referee Steve Gray to stop the dazed Russian from continuing.
    [Click Here To Read More]

George Groves may be a lot of things at this point in his career but you can't ever accuse the man of being scared.

Comment

Groves is an ok fighter but his physique doesn't do him favours. He is not really supposed to be fighting at his weight but he doesn't really have any weight to cut. Because of that he will always struggle against the bigger guys at his weight especially after the 7th round. All the guys there will beat him, so unless he fights smaller guys he will find it hard to unify. He might beat DeGale because DeGale also has some stamina issues on the stretch and the fact he has beaten him before makes it all possible.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Tom View Post
        Groves is an ok fighter but his physique doesn't do him favours. He is not really supposed to be fighting at his weight but he doesn't really have any weight to cut. Because of that he will always struggle against the bigger guys at his weight especially after the 7th round. All the guys there will beat him, so unless he fights smaller guys he will find it hard to unify. He might beat DeGale because DeGale also has some stamina issues on the stretch and the fact he has beaten him before makes it all possible.
        I actually think he's underrated. He has never been totally outclassed in any defeat. Well he did get smashed by Froch but both of those fights were competitive, one ended controversially and the 2nd was competitive until that shot and then he had a split decision with Badou Jack.

He has some decent wins on his record too. Chudinov, Martin Murray, James DeGale. Even beating an old Glen Johnson after only 15 fights isn't a bad win when you consider Froch had quite a close fight with Johnson a year before. Johnson was probably shot but still not an easy fight for someone with 15 fights at that time.

Groves has the ability to beat any of the top fighters and champions at 168. He does also have the vulnerability to lose to any of them too.

Comment

He should really try and get that DeGale fight.

He knows how to beat Degale and i think he may just have his number.

Comment

... It's about DeGale, of course... and Badou Jack also...

I don't think that he contemplates facing Zurdo, though...

Comment

Originally posted by deathofaclown View Post
              I actually think he's underrated. He has never been totally outclassed in any defeat. Well he did get smashed by Froch but both of those fights were competitive, one ended controversially and the 2nd was competitive until that shot and then he had a split decision with Badou Jack.

He has some decent wins on his record too. Chudinov, Martin Murray, James DeGale. Even beating an old Glen Johnson after only 15 fights isn't a bad win when you consider Froch had quite a close fight with Johnson a year before. Johnson was probably shot but still not an easy fight for someone with 15 fights at that time.

Groves has the ability to beat any of the top fighters and champions at 168. He does also have the vulnerability to lose to any of them too.
              He is ok not exceptional. As for the Froch fight being competitive for half a fight isn't really commentable. Mind you he lost twice. He doesn't have that little extra required to be a great fighter and when it matters most he will crumble.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Tom View Post
                He is ok not exceptional. As for the Froch fight being competitive for half a fight isn't really commentable. Mind you he lost twice. He doesn't have that little extra required to be a great fighter and when it matters most he will crumble.
                Well i'm not saying he's elite obviously but neither are any other guys in the current scene at 168. It's a much weaker division than the super 6 days.

Groves has a good shot at beating DeGale again and some of the other fighters in there.

Comment

the division is so bad right now that a 20 year old prospect would beat the living daylights out of the title holders.

image what benevidez would do to ugly kid groves

Comment

If Callum beats Dirrell then Groves, Degale, and Smith are well on the sky box office/02 arena gravy train.

I went to Degale/Groves I and considering that sold out the 02 when they were novice pros I wonder that could be another stadium fight? Well, not with the an AJ style undercard but you know what I mean. I'd have to have proper fights on the undercard. Not Laurence Okolie pummelling a lad who has just finished his shift on the door at Wetherspoons.

How good is Smith? Because I'd be kind of surprised if he beat Anthony Dirrell away from home.

Eddie will be waving goodbye to that gravy train if he gets beat.
                    Last edited by Sparked_26; 05-30-2017, 11:26 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X