Boxing Forum
Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Boxing History

Old 12-26-2017, 01:25 PM #1
Interim Champion

Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Dempsey-Louis has a reputation beyond reputeDempsey-Louis has a reputation beyond reputeDempsey-Louis has a reputation beyond reputeDempsey-Louis has a reputation beyond reputeDempsey-Louis has a reputation beyond reputeDempsey-Louis has a reputation beyond reputeDempsey-Louis has a reputation beyond reputeDempsey-Louis has a reputation beyond reputeDempsey-Louis has a reputation beyond reputeDempsey-Louis has a reputation beyond reputeDempsey-Louis has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 1,000,000,000,033,222.38
Default The night the Fitzsimmons shift went low

San Francisco, Mechanics Pavilion, 1896

In the fall of 1896 the most talked about event about the city was the upcoming Robert Fitzsimmons – Tom Sharkey face off, with (one time Federal Marshal) Wyatt Earp serving as third man.

All week long rumors swirled about the city that the ‘fix was in’ and before the fight Marshal Earp felt obliged to address the crowd and declare his intentions to “call things as I see them, and not as someone else may want them called.” What Wyatt Earp could never have imagined was how prophetic his words were about to become.

In the eighth round of the fray Ruby Rob landed a hard uppercut to Sailor Tom’s jaw and followed it up with his infamous solar plexus punch (aka the Fitzsimmons shift), which landed profoundly low. Sharkey withering in pain, fell face first to the canvas and fainted. The Sailor’s seconds removed him from the ring while he was still unconscious.

Side Note: Not until 1930 was it legal to wear protective gear below the waist; before then it was considered unsportsmanlike and would encourage dirty tactics (so they thought).

Back in the dressing room an examination, by a physician, of the Sailor’s testicles, as witnessed by Marshal Wyatt Earp, confirmed the low blow to the groin, and the famed Marshal stayed true to his promise and did indeed call it as he saw 'them,’ awarding the fight to Sharkey on disqualification; turning over the $10,000 prize money (a certified check) to Sharkey’ seconds.

The crowd, (and the newspapers) not privy to the very personal examination of Sailor Tom’s balls, hotly criticized the decision.

Fitzsimons’s manager obtained a court injunction preventing Sharkey from cashing the prize money check, charging that Earp’s decision had been ‘determined in advanced.’ A San Francisco newspaper, whose owner purportedly had lost $20,000 on a Fitzsimmons’s wager, printed a scathing attack on Marshal Earp’s character.

Three days later a compromise was finally reached when a team of six different physicians, three of which were chosen by Fitzsimmons’s people, reconfirmed, with yet another very personal examination of Sailor Tom, that Sharkey had indeed suffered genital trauma. (The fact that the trauma was still visible after three days suggests one hell of a low blow.)

Sharkey’s people cashed the check and the San Francisco newspaper printed a retraction restoring the ‘famed’ (and by many accounts very crooked) Marshal’s reputation.
Dempsey-Louis is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 12-26-2017, 03:03 PM #2
No More UK Stoppages

Quoted: 9972 Post(s)
ShoulderRoll has a reputation beyond reputeShoulderRoll has a reputation beyond reputeShoulderRoll has a reputation beyond reputeShoulderRoll has a reputation beyond reputeShoulderRoll has a reputation beyond reputeShoulderRoll has a reputation beyond reputeShoulderRoll has a reputation beyond reputeShoulderRoll has a reputation beyond reputeShoulderRoll has a reputation beyond reputeShoulderRoll has a reputation beyond reputeShoulderRoll has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 198,985,127,693,338,751,795,200.00
Total Points: 198,985,127,693,438,744,002,560.00
excellent posts mate - Alx. good post about Wlad being like Bute - RossCA To a good poster - ROSS CALIFORNIA To a good poster - ROSS CALIFORNIA brewed just 4 u - sugarsmosley 
valuable advice to training forum - jas Thanks for the green man,I should have won poster of the year,but the site is in denial.bitches huh ? - Scott-Weiland All in .&amp;w - BERNIE'S CORNER Phone spazzed on gift giving. Can't green ya but have this beer on me. All in good fun ! - BERNIE'S CORNER Easily one of the best posters on the forum - JK1700 
To wipe that ass lol - BigZ44 Good thread and comments - maracho A truce - lfc19titles A truce - lfc19titles 

For those unfamiliar with the Fitzsimmons Shift:

[Link View Has Been Removed. Click Here To Unlock This Content.]
ShoulderRoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 04:23 AM #3
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 3631 Post(s)
OctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 6,000,000,000,542,518.00
Long Overdue. For your contribution to NSB. - 1hourRun I concur - jazluvr 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
For those unfamiliar with the Fitzsimmons Shift:

[Link View Has Been Removed. Click Here To Unlock This Content.]
Is that you in the video?
OctoberRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 11:03 AM #4
No More UK Stoppages

Quoted: 9972 Post(s)
ShoulderRoll has a reputation beyond reputeShoulderRoll has a reputation beyond reputeShoulderRoll has a reputation beyond reputeShoulderRoll has a reputation beyond reputeShoulderRoll has a reputation beyond reputeShoulderRoll has a reputation beyond reputeShoulderRoll has a reputation beyond reputeShoulderRoll has a reputation beyond reputeShoulderRoll has a reputation beyond reputeShoulderRoll has a reputation beyond reputeShoulderRoll has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 198,985,127,693,338,751,795,200.00
Total Points: 198,985,127,693,438,744,002,560.00
excellent posts mate - Alx. good post about Wlad being like Bute - RossCA To a good poster - ROSS CALIFORNIA To a good poster - ROSS CALIFORNIA brewed just 4 u - sugarsmosley 
valuable advice to training forum - jas Thanks for the green man,I should have won poster of the year,but the site is in denial.bitches huh ? - Scott-Weiland All in .&amp;w - BERNIE'S CORNER Phone spazzed on gift giving. Can't green ya but have this beer on me. All in good fun ! - BERNIE'S CORNER Easily one of the best posters on the forum - JK1700 
To wipe that ass lol - BigZ44 Good thread and comments - maracho A truce - lfc19titles A truce - lfc19titles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OctoberRed View Post
LOL.

No, it's not. Just an interesting thing I came across when researching shifting.
ShoulderRoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 02:17 AM #5
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 961 Post(s)
The Old LefHook has a reputation beyond reputeThe Old LefHook has a reputation beyond reputeThe Old LefHook has a reputation beyond reputeThe Old LefHook has a reputation beyond reputeThe Old LefHook has a reputation beyond reputeThe Old LefHook has a reputation beyond reputeThe Old LefHook has a reputation beyond reputeThe Old LefHook has a reputation beyond reputeThe Old LefHook has a reputation beyond reputeThe Old LefHook has a reputation beyond reputeThe Old LefHook has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 105,307,947,794,154,000.00
Total Points: 105,307,947,794,154,272.00

The shift is something I do practice. I prefer it with the hundred pound grain sacks attached to my wrists as I have mentioned, but to each their own, since everyone is not as powerful as yours truly. One of the few men I know of probably stronger than myself was Angus McKaskill. I often punch tackling dummies. When I have punched one all the way around the perimeter of the football field twice, I usually call it a workout. This ain't bad for wearing the grain sacks on each wrist. It would be hard to move those dummies without the weights, though.
The Old LefHook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 01:23 PM #6
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 1996 Post(s)
billeau2 has a reputation beyond reputebilleau2 has a reputation beyond reputebilleau2 has a reputation beyond reputebilleau2 has a reputation beyond reputebilleau2 has a reputation beyond reputebilleau2 has a reputation beyond reputebilleau2 has a reputation beyond reputebilleau2 has a reputation beyond reputebilleau2 has a reputation beyond reputebilleau2 has a reputation beyond reputebilleau2 has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 50,000,020,000,002,092,826,624.00
Grade A explanation of punching technique. - - Ram Raid - Knowledgeable - -Weltschmerz- Happy holidays and best wishes for 2016 - -Weltschmerz- Lmao - -Scott-Weiland- 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OctoberRed View Post
It might suprise people to know that there are more than a few martial arts guys who follow boxing as a survival art. These individuals, quite a few of them like the older tricks of the trade. Kid McCoy is another fighter that gets a lot of press... and of course Dempsey.

There are some notable differences for sure. But what looks absurd to some is actually technical detail to another. For example, the uppercut could be thrown, with smaller gloves and from the back foot, like an extended lead...something Corbett was showing to Tunney. It looks like a really bad uppercut lol, but its legit because the power comes from the legs springing.
billeau2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 04:41 PM #7
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 961 Post(s)
The Old LefHook has a reputation beyond reputeThe Old LefHook has a reputation beyond reputeThe Old LefHook has a reputation beyond reputeThe Old LefHook has a reputation beyond reputeThe Old LefHook has a reputation beyond reputeThe Old LefHook has a reputation beyond reputeThe Old LefHook has a reputation beyond reputeThe Old LefHook has a reputation beyond reputeThe Old LefHook has a reputation beyond reputeThe Old LefHook has a reputation beyond reputeThe Old LefHook has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 105,307,947,794,154,000.00
Total Points: 105,307,947,794,154,272.00

Quote:
Originally Posted by billeau2 View Post
It might suprise people to know that there are more than a few martial arts guys who follow boxing as a survival art. These individuals, quite a few of them like the older tricks of the trade. Kid McCoy is another fighter that gets a lot of press... and of course Dempsey.

There are some notable differences for sure. But what looks absurd to some is actually technical detail to another. For example, the uppercut could be thrown, with smaller gloves and from the back foot, like an extended lead...something Corbett was showing to Tunney. It looks like a really bad uppercut lol, but its legit because the power comes from the legs springing.
I love the details. I believe I have seen the same clip, if you are referring to one of Tunney and Corbett.
The Old LefHook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 04:46 AM #8
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 3631 Post(s)
OctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 6,000,000,000,542,518.00
Long Overdue. For your contribution to NSB. - 1hourRun I concur - jazluvr 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
LOL.

No, it's not. Just an interesting thing I came across when researching shifting.
I was about to request you to do a few moves on Zelenoff for kicks.
OctoberRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 09:02 PM #9
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 1996 Post(s)
billeau2 has a reputation beyond reputebilleau2 has a reputation beyond reputebilleau2 has a reputation beyond reputebilleau2 has a reputation beyond reputebilleau2 has a reputation beyond reputebilleau2 has a reputation beyond reputebilleau2 has a reputation beyond reputebilleau2 has a reputation beyond reputebilleau2 has a reputation beyond reputebilleau2 has a reputation beyond reputebilleau2 has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 50,000,020,000,002,092,826,624.00
Grade A explanation of punching technique. - - Ram Raid - Knowledgeable - -Weltschmerz- Happy holidays and best wishes for 2016 - -Weltschmerz- Lmao - -Scott-Weiland- 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Old LefHook View Post
I love the details. I believe I have seen the same clip, if you are referring to one of Tunney and Corbett.
Yeah Lefty thats the one
billeau2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share This With Friends

Tags
fitzsimmons', night, shift

User Tag List