No announcement yet.

Carlos Palomino and Pipino Cuevas

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carlos Palomino and Pipino Cuevas

I was going to ask this in another thread but I wanted to stay on topic. So here is a seperate thread.

Carlos Palomino and Pipino Cuevas. I was too young to know the details of this time period. But why did these two never have a unification match and who would have won if they did?

I don't know why they never fought, but I think Palomino would win. He was the better boxer and couldnt get koed easily. In fact he never did. Thats Cuevas chance, the puncher's chance.

Comment

I was heart broken when he lost to Wilfred Benitez. I like both fighters equally but Palomino just had the cooler name! :lol: I was just a kid anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by SnoopySmurf View Post
        I was heart broken when he lost to Wilfred Benitez. I like both fighters equally but Palomino just had the cooler name! :lol: I was just a kid anyway.
        I know what you mean. I was 2 when Palomino lost to Benitez lol. But after reading about him I never understood why that fight never happened.

Comment

Originally posted by joseph5620 View Post
          I was going to ask this in another thread but I wanted to stay on topic. So here is a seperate thread.

Carlos Palomino and Pipino Cuevas. I was too young to know the details of this time period. But why did these two never have a unification match and who would have won if they did?
          Since they were both welterweight champions who were based in Los Angeles you'd think they would have cashed in. As I remember they had different promoters (Palomino fought mostly at the Olympic Auditorium and Cuevas at the Forum). Also neither party seemed all that interested.

If they had fought I would have probably picked Palomino by late TKO. He had a terrific chin and was a true 15 round fighter.

Comment

Better question why didn't either defend against Andy Price?

Comment

Originally posted by cooper5 View Post
              Sugar Ray took care of that.

Comment

Originally posted by cooper5 View Post
                Good question since Price had beaten both of them early in their careers. The main reason was that Price kept losing key fights that might have gotten him a title fight.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
                  Good question since Price had beaten both of them early in their careers. The main reason was that Price kept losing key fights that might have gotten him a title fight.

One thing I found unusual (with the dates) after Cuevas lost to price. Cuevas won the WBA title the next month. It's kind of strange to me that he got the title shot and fought just over a month after the loss. But after that he didn't lose another fight for four years and defended his title 14 times. That's pretty impressive.

Comment

Originally posted by joseph5620 View Post
                    One thing I found unusual (with the dates) after Cuevas lost to price. Cuevas won the WBA title the next month. It's kind of strange to me that he got the title shot and fought just over a month after the loss. But after that he didn't lose another fight for four years and defended his title 14 times. That's pretty impressive.
                    That is unusual (but less so then), as the title fight had to have already been signed before the Price fight six weeks earlier. I'd just assume that it was because Cuevas was very popular at the gate. Price lost his next two fights after beating Cuevas, btw.

Comment

Working...
                    X