No announcement yet.

Boxing's lost luster

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boxing's lost luster

I have a serious question. Every sunday or monday I catch up on all the fights, or as many as I can, they go in this order, Boxing, Bellator and UFC. I've been doing that for years, but I have caught myself sometimes leaving boxing for last, sometimes even fast forward, this is not an alone decision as many times we do some BBQ and is a general decision. Take for example, IMO, the daniel jacobs fight was lacking any excitement, many people might argue that when you put two opponents that are equal in can be a war or a sleeper, but in boxing I have noticed that even when not, they still very "tactical" if you will. Has Boxing lost is luster?, I am not talking about brawling, but most fights dont even have the appeal for the masses, we watched the wilder and instead of folks saying what a great fight, they were saying stiverne seemed he threw the fight, the fans dont know nor care about short notices. What are your thoughts?

boxing jus had an amazing year in terms of matchups, and networks prefer more exciting fighters

Comment

I mean...you expected the Jacobs fight to be good? That’s where you went wrong. :/...

Comment

The man on the street doesn't seem to pay much attention to it beyond the mega events. Like when Mayweather-Pacquaio happened suddenly everyone was into Boxing and had an opinion. I warned people at work "this fight will most likely be very, very boring just a head up" and on the Monday there was a lot of "I will never watch Boxing again. Every fight is like this. It's boring", yet when I told the same people of good matches sure to deliver they won't give it a shot. Maybe that's in the marketing and maybe the average sports fan is getting a bit dumber these days and needs something to be a mega event with two huge names?

In general though the sport is doing fine. Sure, it's annoying there's multiple Twitter champions that don't step up but in general good matches are being made and top talent is coming through. If people actually watch they will be entertained and come back for more.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisJS View Post
          The man on the street doesn't seem to pay much attention to it beyond the mega events. Like when Mayweather-Pacquaio happened suddenly everyone was into Boxing and had an opinion. I warned people at work "this fight will most likely be very, very boring just a head up" and on the Monday there was a lot of "I will never watch Boxing again. Every fight is like this. It's boring", yet when I told the same people of good matches sure to deliver they won't give it a shot. Maybe that's in the marketing and maybe the average sports fan is getting a bit dumber these days and needs something to be a mega event with two huge names?

In general though the sport is doing fine. Sure, it's annoying there's multiple Twitter champions that don't step up but in general good matches are being made and top talent is coming through. If people actually watch they will be entertained and come back for more.
          I understand what you are saying, but the problem was, if the biggest stars in boxing(may vs pac) delivered a boring fight it did more harm than good, dont you think? and yes, I used to be a hard core fan of telefutura solo boxeo 14 years ago, many champions came from there, but it wasnt only the matches but the commentators that made it very fun to watch(bradley,cotto,canelo,zorrita,soto karass,etc). but when ,like many people, call it, casual fans watch PBC or espn, they expect brawls thinking since they arent known, they need to show what they are made of, and instead they try and imitate mayweather. I think boxing will never die, but I am thinking something will be changed, no more once a year 30 mill a fight, fighters literally loses the hunger.

Comment

Originally posted by Hewito View Post
            I understand what you are saying, but the problem was, if the biggest stars in boxing(may vs pac) delivered a boring fight it did more harm than good, dont you think? and yes, I used to be a hard core fan of telefutura solo boxeo 14 years ago, many champions came from there, but it wasnt only the matches but the commentators that made it very fun to watch(bradley,cotto,canelo,zorrita,soto karass,etc). but when ,like many people, call it, casual fans watch PBC or espn, they expect brawls thinking since they arent known, they need to show what they are made of, and instead they try and imitate mayweather. I think boxing will never die, but I am thinking something will be changed, no more once a year 30 mill a fight, fighters literally loses the hunger.
            Mayweather-Pacquaio undoubtedly hurt Boxing's audience and increased skepticism around the entertainment value because I think when the fight was hot (2009) the man on the street had time for other fights and fighters but after a couple years of the fight not happening more and more people lost interest and basically made their minds up "Let me know when Mayweather-Pacquaio happens until then who cares" and then it happened about six years past it's sell by date and about 3 1/2 half years after it was a meaningful fight. Still, that did get back a lot of the casuals who saw it and obviously it's one of the worst high profile fights of modern times so that really hurt Boxing.

Pacquaio was good for Boxing until that crap dragged on too far and Mayweather was never good for Boxing. Now I know his fans will cry and say "without Floyd blah blah blah" but there would have been more fighters the public was willing to watch and they'd have been entertained enough to keep their interest and create more stars. Floyd was just about one star and to hurt Boxing so he could look like he's the only fighter that's ever been worth watching.

Comment

Mayweather-Pacquaio undoubtedly hurt Boxing's audience and increased skepticism around the entertainment value because I think when the fight was hot (2009) the man on the street had time for other fights and fighters but after a couple years of the fight not happening more and more people lost interest and basically made their minds up "Let me know when Mayweather-Pacquaio happens until then who cares" and then it happened about six years past it's sell by date and about 3 1/2 half years after it was a meaningful fight. Still, that did get back a lot of the casuals who saw it and obviously it's one of the worst high profile fights of modern times so that really hurt Boxing.

Pacquaio was good for Boxing until that crap dragged on too far and Mayweather was never good for Boxing. Now I know his fans will cry and say "without Floyd blah blah blah" but there would have been more fighters the public was willing to watch and they'd have been entertained enough to keep their interest and create more stars. Floyd was just about one star and to hurt Boxing so he could look like he's the only fighter that's ever been worth watching.
              Floyd didn't hurt boxing... he hurt bunboys feeling like yourself by beating their favorite fighters. How can a guy bring so much attention and ppv buys to the sport somehow be that bad for it lol? You butthurt clowns are comical. Blame #48 for not forcing more of an action packed fight. Hatton made Floyd fight an entertaining fight, Cotto did the same, but lets just blame Floyd for #48 not wanting to...

Comment

Originally posted by Fists_of_Fury View Post
                Floyd didn't hurt boxing... he hurt bunboys feeling like yourself by beating their favorite fighters. How can a guy bring so much attention and ppv buys to the sport somehow be that bad for it lol? You butthurt clowns are comical. Blame #48 for not forcing more of an action packed fight. Hatton made Floyd fight an entertaining fight, Cotto did the same, but lets just blame Floyd for #48 not wanting to...
                Fanboy alert.

Pacquaio was washed up. They both shoulder the blame for that **** show.

Read my reasons for why he hurt Boxing. It actually makes sense. He and Pacquaio made Boxing essentially a two man sport for the man on the street which on a grand scale definitely affected boxing.

Anyway boring trying to talk boxing with Floyd and Pac fanboys. They follow their fighter and then the other and then some other guys they hate and way after that they follow Boxing.

Comment

i am a hardcore boxing fan and i lost some interest in boxing in the 2 years before this year.
                  I didnt catch up on every boxing match, didnt read about new prospects and the number of nights I stayed up for boxing declined.

But this year was one of the best for boxing and I dont know how you can loose interest. Many good matchups were made, divisions are heating up and we got highly competitive fights on the smaller and bigger scale.
                  Of course some hyped matches turned out to be less exciting and the last quarter of this year couldnt keep up, but overall this year was on fire.

Comment

Fanboy alert.

Pacquaio was washed up. They both shoulder the blame for that **** show.

Read my reasons for why he hurt Boxing. It actually makes sense. He and Pacquaio made Boxing essentially a two man sport for the man on the street which on a grand scale definitely affected boxing.

Anyway boring trying to talk boxing with Floyd and Pac fanboys. They follow their fighter and then the other and then some other guys they hate and way after that they follow Boxing.
                    "shoulder the blame" pacquiao and his saltwater healed shoulder lol

Comment

Working...
                    X