Lots of good slips and rolls...

[IMG][/IMG]

lol, that's sweet science right there if you're a kangaroo

Comment

i meant no disrespect , i guess they were the pioneers

Comment

Originally posted by danceswithfire View Post
        i meant no disrespect , i guess they were the pioneers
        He definitely knew how to slip a lot of shots while coming inside. Mike Tyson always said he was a huge influence.

Comment

Bum slipping bum punches.

Comment

He would get destroyed by usyk

Comment

Originally posted by McNulty View Post
              Bum slipping bum punches.
              Lol i agree

Comment

GhostofDempsey? Want to weigh in here?

Comment

Dempsey's defense and overall boxing skill is highly underrated. Even though life-long boxing writers such as Bert Sugar and Nat Fleischer place him in their top 5 all-time HW rankings, and many other credible boxing and sports writers acknowledged this as well.

Today, boxing fans are divided into several categories. We have the young fans whose knowledge cannot transcend beyond the current era of fighters. All they know and respect is whoever has fought in the last 10 - 20 years. Then we have the ones who align themselves with fighters according to racial bias. We then have the casual fans who no little or anything about the nuances of boxing. Never got in the ring once themselves yet somehow they are experts and all-knowing. Not that competing makes you more credible, but it helps to have that real world perspective at times. In the case of the Dempsey detractors most of them fall into one or more of these categories.

Now, have a look at the clip below. This is highlights of Pernell Whitaker's defense. Look familiar? He is doing everything that Dempsey was doing, yet there are haters out there who insist that Dempsey (and just about any fighter prior to Ali) was a hype job or bum. Whitaker is lauded as a defensive genius and ATG. Again, notice the similarities in their bobbing, weaving, and footwork. To think that Usyk would destroy Dempsey is beyond ignorant. To call this man a bum and his opponents bums only speaks to the previous paragraph.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofDempsey View Post
                    Dempsey's defense and overall boxing skill is highly underrated. Even though life-long boxing writers such as Bert Sugar and Nat Fleischer place him in their top 5 all-time HW rankings, and many other credible boxing and sports writers acknowledged this as well.

Today, boxing fans are divided into several categories. We have the young fans whose knowledge cannot transcend beyond the current era of fighters. All they know and respect is whoever has fought in the last 10 - 20 years. Then we have the ones who align themselves with fighters according to racial bias. We then have the casual fans who no little or anything about the nuances of boxing. Never got in the ring once themselves yet somehow they are experts and all-knowing. Not that competing makes you more credible, but it helps to have that real world perspective at times. In the case of the Dempsey detractors most of them fall into one or more of these categories.

Now, have a look at the clip below. This is highlights of Pernell Whitaker's defense. Look familiar? He is doing everything that Dempsey was doing, yet there are haters out there who insist that Dempsey (and just about any fighter prior to Ali) was a hype job or bum. Whitaker is lauded as a defensive genius and ATG. Again, notice the similarities in their bobbing, weaving, and footwork. To think that Usyk would destroy Dempsey is beyond ignorant. To call this man a bum and his opponents bums only speaks to the previous paragraph.

So well said, man. I don't get why many think anyone pre-Ali is a bum. Do they not look at the current crop and compare? There have always been plenty of bums and there are a ton out there today. To see someone praise a Mayweather and then trash Dempsey is like, wait. Hold up. What? Haha. But like you say, they have no perspective beyond the last 20 years or sometimes even ten. Great post.

Comment

Working...
                    X