No announcement yet.

Tommy Hearns was sadly underrated...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
    Didn't punch the body really well, couldn't box inside at all (most Kronk guys can't)
    That's an interesting opinion.

Comment

I watched Thomas grow up in boxing my kids fought Kronk kids in national competitions for years. You folks contemplate while I participated I watched the progression of almost all the American boxers that came out of the JO programs and into Open class boxing. I was the state chairman in the JO program and was the team Region one coach that took the region one team to to colo. springs colo. olympic training center.
      Someone shows a fight or a few sequences of Tommy punching the body to try and discretit my observations of a fighter that I saw grow up in the sport. Thomas made his mark in the game with his right hand!!! He did turn a hook/upper cut with his left hand very well but he also made some mistakes letting it go to far away from opponents also. It happen to work against Shuller because he stayed in a shell instead of countering with a move or a punch. Anyone could punch the body when its given to you but its not like its a trade mark punch like Thomas throwing jabs to set up his KO right hand.
      Its like contradicting people here is used in place of a real fight? Fan frustrations seem to run wild here at times, instead of appreciating some inside info on some of the boxers I watched grow up, and had my kids fight against, plus work in some of their corners through the years some here want to discredit. Its a shame that folks who seem so passionant about the sport use a forum as if its a ring, I grew up enjoying confrontations its a shame when they can't be settled face to face. "it wasn't his forte" hahaha really?
      Ray.
      Last edited by Ray Corso; 03-02-2012, 10:02 AM.

Comment

Wow......ok then.

Comment

You folks contemplate while I participated I watched the progression of almost all the American boxers that came out of the JO programs and into Open class boxing. I was the state chairman in the JO program and was the team Region one coach that took the region one team to to colo. s
          That's nice, but I don't like when people try to 'pull rank' in these discussions. people can disagree without all this 'My opinion is more valid than yours because I did this that and the other' Now having said that I agree that one of the most annoying trends in this section is the constant nitpicking of minor points, one-up-man-ship, refusal to admit any opinion but their own is correct and constant desire to speak rather than listen (rant over) Anyway I agree with your original point he didn't go to the body as often as some
          Last edited by Daddy T; 03-02-2012, 10:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by House of Stone View Post
            That's nice, but I don't like when people try to 'pull rank' in these discussions. people can disagree without all this 'My opinion is more valid than yours because I did this that and the other' Now having said that I agree that one of the most annoying trends in this section is the constant nitpicking of minor points, one-up-man-ship, refusal to admit any opinion but their own is correct and constant desire to speak rather than listen (rant over) Anyway I agree with your original point he didn't go to the body as often as some
            Except that saying Hearns 'didn't punch well to the body' isn't a minor point in a discussion about his skill.

He did sometimes throw his shots too far away, but Mayweather also leaves himself exposed to being countered sometimes....It doesn't mean his defense isn't great. He didn't go to the body as often as 'some' but that 'some' would be guys like Chavez, Duran etc. Tommy's main weapon was his jab, right hand but to say he 'didn't go to the body well' to me is like saying Duran's defense sucked.

It clearly doesn't and is in fact brilliant. His style of fighting meant he was going to get hit more often than a pure counter puncher though, just like Tommy fighting from range most often meant he wasn't going to be going to the body like Lamotta. When he was in range however, he hit the body brutally with incredible results as well as anyone.
            Last edited by BennyST; 03-02-2012, 11:11 AM.

Comment

Indeed, Hearns is very underrated. . . Pound for pound, the most powerful straight right hand in the history of boxing. . . Random note: Look how my right hand DWARVES Tommy Hearns'?

Comment

I watched Thomas grow up in boxing my kids fought Kronk kids in national competitions for years. You folks contemplate while I participated I watched the progression of almost all the American boxers that came out of the JO programs and into Open class boxing. I was the state chairman in the JO program and was the team Region one coach that took the region one team to to colo. springs colo. olympic training center.
                Someone shows a fight or a few sequences of Tommy punching the body to try and discretit my observations of a fighter that I saw grow up in the sport. Thomas made his mark in the game with his right hand!!! He did turn a hook/upper cut with his left hand very well but he also made some mistakes letting it go to far away from opponents also. It happen to work against Shuller because he stayed in a shell instead of countering with a move or a punch. Anyone could punch the body when its given to you but its not like its a trade mark punch like Thomas throwing jabs to set up his KO right hand.
                Its like contradicting people here is used in place of a real fight? Fan frustrations seem to run wild here at times, instead of appreciating some inside info on some of the boxers I watched grow up, and had my kids fight against, plus work in some of their corners through the years some here want to discredit. Its a shame that folks who seem so passionant about the sport use a forum as if its a ring, I grew up enjoying confrontations its a shame when they can't be settled face to face. "it wasn't his forte" hahaha really?
                Ray.
                Do us all a favor and quit with your "holier than thou" attitude. You're not the only one who has been involved with the sport (if you even have since Google shows nothing of all this involvement you claim) and its simply ridiculous to claim Hearns was not a good body puncher. I've provided irrefutable evidence that when he wanted to go to the body he was excellent at it. And no, it wasn't his forte. But as you can plainly see in the videos he was a more than capable body puncher. Unless of course you're suggesting the video is doctored or everyone here is blind to something only you can see.

And yeah, its a shame confrontations can't be settled face to face. Tough guy.
                Last edited by JAB5239; 03-02-2012, 05:30 PM.

Comment

I was asked about my background a while back so I state it to show that my opinion is based on actual boxing experiences. If you don't like or agree with my opinion just move on! Its a handfull a people here who try to dominate the forum and its the reason why others don't try to participate. So maybe its a few here who need to relax and maybe learn something from some who made a living in the sport for a long time. Its seems their also intimidated, then try to start a confrontation on the net, thats were my face to face comment comes from. My attitude is one of confidence when speaking about boxing and all the components that are important in it. You (jab5293) seem to confuse my character with someone who talks alot of smack, like you! Ray

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
                    Do us all a favor and quit with your "holier than thou" attitude. You're not the only one who has been involved with the sport (if you even have since Google shows nothing of all this involvement you claim) and its simply ridiculous to claim Hearns was not a good body puncher. I've provided irrefutable evidence that when he wanted to go to the body he was excellent at it. And no, it wasn't his forte. But as you can plainly see in the videos he was a more than capable body puncher. Unless of course you're suggesting the video is doctored or everyone here is blind to something only you can see.

And yeah, its a shame confrontations can't be settled face to face. Tough guy.
                    Die Anterwood V2.

Comment

Originally posted by UglyPug View Post
                      Indeed, Hearns is very underrated. . . Pound for pound, the most powerful straight right hand in the history of boxing. . . Random note: Look how my right hand DWARVES Tommy Hearns'?
                      Got to agree with you it does dwarf Tommy's.

I actually "bumped knuckles" with Tommy Hearns in 2010 when I was in Las Vegas for the Floyd Mayweather-Shane Mosley fight.

My first time ever meeting him and his hands were surprisingly smaller than I expected.

The guy was just casually walking across one of the cross-over's, was pretty shocked when I saw him. I was like; "Tommy Hearns?" (Like I needed to ask! ) I put out my hand for a handshake and he replied his fist

Comment

Working...
                      X