No announcement yet.

Which style is easiest to adapt?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sugar Freddi View Post
    I don't know how you describe 'weak' but if you mean weak like you landed your best shot and it didn't wobble someone, than that's weak.

If you have a weak punch, a punch that can't do any damage, I don't think there's any way to make it stronger. Yes, you can work on making it land more accurately and do more damage but you can't make the punch stronger.

I'm sure Malignaggi tried to make his right hand stronger but he doesn't have much power.

Yeah.

If i had decent/average power i would not try to focus on imitating Mike Tyson's style i would try to incorporate style that focuses on speed/accuracy/angles & making sure i had a good punch output to offset the opponent.

Comment

Originally posted by Dynamite Kid View Post
      There are all kinds of variables as to why you might not have been getting maximum power when you first started though, how old were you for a start, how old are you now, how much had been taught at that point.

What flaws did you have iron out to make yourself a better puncher?
      I was 16 (already went through puberty) when I joined the gym. I was a member there for 8 months. After 8 months (I turned 17), I decided to stop paying and get myself a punching bag that I can use at home. I quit doing pushups, sit-ups and and other activities such as sparring. The only things I did were shadow boxing and using the punching bag.

I would gradually increase my time on the punching bag until a point where my average would be to go half an hour non stop. Take a break and come back later and doing another half an hour. I noticed an amazing increase in power from the time I started to the time I finished.

I joined the gym, again, about 8 months ago and I've had 3 amateur bouts with 3 wins by knockout. I still do the same routine plus other gym work.

Comment

Originally posted by Stoppage View Post
        I was 16 (already went through puberty) when I joined the gym. I was a member there for 8 months. After 8 months (I turned 17), I decided to stop paying and get myself a punching bag that I can use at home. I quit doing pushups, sit-ups and and other activities such as sparring. The only things I did were shadow boxing and using the punching bag.

I would gradually increase my time on the punching bag until a point where my average would be to go half an hour non stop. Take a break and come back later and doing another half an hour. I noticed an amazing increase in power from the time I started to the time I finished.

I joined the gym, again, about 8 months ago and I've had 3 amateur bouts with 3 wins by knockout. I still do the same routine plus other gym work.
        If you have had 3 fights to this point now, then how do you gauge your punching power when apparently you did not compete competitively before, surely you would have to of had fights in that period and not have Ko'ed anyone to know that your power had improved?

What kind of style do you imitate BTW?

Comment

If you have had 3 fights to this point now, then how do you gauge your punching power when apparently you did not compete competitively before, surely you would have to of had fights in that period and not have Ko'ed anyone to know that your power had improved?

What kind of style do you imitate BTW?
          I did a lot of sparring in the time I was there and my punches weren't effective. After the time I spent with the routines at home and came back to the gym for sparring, my punches had an amazing increase in power.

Also, the heavy bag would react a lot more violently when I would punch it compared to before I started the home routine. So that's pretty much enough proof you need, right there.

Out of the three amateur bouts I've had so far, two were legitimate knockouts while one was stopped by the referee after a lopsided fight that included two knockdowns.

Description of my style: I'm known to dance around my opponent and I have pretty good defense. I also have good accuracy and after wearing my opponents down, I aim to go for the knockout, if possible. It's a really unnatural style to most but I feel it suits me best. I've tried many styles and I sort of took bits and pieces to make what's best for me.

Say what you want about natural born punchers because I believe it could be true. But I certainly earned my punching power through hard work. Not only that but I have great stamina now to go 30 minutes on the heavy bag nonstop.

Comment

Julian Jackson, Felix Trinidad and Thomas Hearns weren't impressive punchers in the amateurs but they seemed to find their punch as they turned pro.

Hearns learned a lot from Manny Steward. Trinidad must have perfected his left hook by throwing it a million times.

Comment

I did a lot of sparring in the time I was there and my punches weren't effective. After the time I spent with the routines at home and came back to the gym for sparring, my punches had an amazing increase in power.

Also, the heavy bag would react a lot more violently when I would punch it compared to before I started the home routine. So that's pretty much enough proof you need, right there.

Out of the three amateur bouts I've had so far, two were legitimate knockouts while one was stopped by the referee after a lopsided fight that included two knockdowns.

Description of my style: I'm known to dance around my opponent and I have pretty good defense. I also have good accuracy and after wearing my opponents down, I aim to go for the knockout, if possible. It's a really unnatural style to most but I feel it suits me best. I've tried many styles and I sort of took bits and pieces to make what's best for me.

Say what you want about natural born punchers because I believe it could be true. But I certainly earned my punching power through hard work. Not only that but I have great stamina now to go 30 minutes on the heavy bag nonstop.

Bigger gloves, head gear in sparring ?

You may have developed more strength and felt stronger physically because your developed more muscle?

30 min non stop on a Heavybag? yeah but that is a bit pointless because after 5/10 min you have punched yourself out and your shots dont carry the same power, speed, accuracy and you end up pushing your punches.

Do you have any vids of yourself Boxing?

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreatA View Post
                Julian Jackson, Felix Trinidad and Thomas Hearns weren't impressive punchers in the amateurs but they seemed to find their punch as they turned pro.

Hearns learned a lot from Manny Steward. Trinidad must have perfected his left hook by throwing it a million times.
                Especially Hearns.. Can remember him coming to the UK for the annual tournament against the US.. It was about 30 years ago & the 1st time I'd ever layed eyes on him.. It was against 1 of the Gilbody brothers, Ray, I think.. The contest was fought at lightweight!! & a weak looking Hearns took a narrow DC.. You'd never have guessed what he was gonna become!

Comment

Bigger gloves, head gear in sparring ?

You may have developed more strength and felt stronger physically because your developed more muscle?

30 min non stop on a Heavybag? yeah but that is a bit pointless because after 5/10 min you have punched yourself out and your shots dont carry the same power, speed, accuracy and you end up pushing your punches.

Do you have any vids of yourself Boxing?
                  Nope, the same gloves and headgear.

I lost muscles, actually. I was doing weightlifting, on the side, while I was a member of the gym. After I quit, I stopped all weightlifting and just worked on the heavy bag and shadowboxing.

The thing with the heavy bag routine is that I would do it until I couldn't punch anymore. I would keep working on it and eventually developed better stamina to punch longer. I then decided to do 30 minutes at one point and then come back later for another 30 minutes. I don't think it's pointless, really, since I haven't once gotten tired in sparring, yet.

And no I don't have any videos of myself. Even if I did, I wouldn't post them here because of personal reasons.

But I'm not trying to win a debate, here or anything. I'm just saying that I became a great puncher from hard work and training. I'm sure a lot of people can if they put the time into it.

Comment

Nope, the same gloves and headgear.

I lost muscles, actually. I was doing weightlifting, on the side, while I was a member of the gym. After I quit, I stopped all weightlifting and just worked on the heavy bag and shadowboxing.

The thing with the heavy bag routine is that I would do it until I couldn't punch anymore. I would keep working on it and eventually developed better stamina to punch longer. I then decided to do 30 minutes at one point and then come back later for another 30 minutes. I don't think it's pointless, really, since I haven't once gotten tired in sparring, yet.

And no I don't have any videos of myself. Even if I did, I wouldn't post them here because of personal reasons.

But I'm not trying to win a debate, here or anything. I'm just saying that I became a great puncher from hard work and training. I'm sure a lot of people can if they put the time into it.

I know your not "trying to win a debate" and im not trying to be argumentative but i am sceptical that you can improve your power that!! much, to a degree yes, but significantly? im not sure.

You know your body though and how you felt so if you feel it did then......

Comment

I dont think you should imitate anyone's style, unless you have the physical capabilities to pull it off. When i see people trying to impersonate Tyson, Jones etc style it makes me cringe.
                      I don't think anyone should ever try and be an exact replica of any fighter just because of all the variables( physical ability, boxing skills, etc. etc.) but at the same time I think it's ok to pick up a few moves here and there from a fighter that uses a similar style

Comment

Working...
                      X