Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

who has the best jab out of all the weights ?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• who has the best jab out of all the weights ?

who do u think has the best jab out of all the weights
    id still say holmes

Tommy Hearns

Comment

Off the top of my head......Not in order

Pep
      RJJ
      SRL
      SRR
      Holmes
      Benny Leonard
      Dixon
      Whittaker
      Mayweather
      Ali
      Hearns
      Monzon
      Liston

Comment

Originally posted by boxingbuff View Post
        Off the top of my head......Not in order

Pep
        RJJ
        SRL
        SRR
        Holmes
        Benny Leonard
        Dixon
        Whittaker
        Mayweather
        Ali
        Hearns
        Monzon
        Liston
        Mayweather and RJJ didn't even like using the jab that much.

Comment

Great list there Boxingbuff.

I'd argue that Floyd jabs to the body as much as the head. I totally agree with Roy Jones though, check out the Pazienza fight for one of the best displays of jabbing I remember. Granted he doesn't use it much now!

I quite liked Ike Quartey's jab. Mosley's too, Meldrick Taylor's. One that should also be mentioned is Joe Gans.

I expect flack for the next one................Nazeem Hamed! But judge it after watching the Jose Badillo fight.

Best jab of all time.....has to be between Larry Holmes and Willi Pep. I'd be tempted to say Robinson too but I gather that heavyweights Floyd Patterson and Ali had faster recorded jabs through a synchroniser than him. I know it doesn't tell the full story and speed isn't everything but I'm sticking with Holmes and Pep.

Comment

Tommy Loughran
            Thomas Hearns
            Larry Holmes
            Ronald ''Winky'' Wright
            Wladimir Klitschko
            Sonny Liston
            Joe Louis
            Muhammad Ali
            Gene Tunney
            Marvin Hagler
            Joe Gans
            Carlos Monzon
            Bob Foster
            Ike Quartey
            Lennox Lewis
            Alexis Argüello
            Roberto Duran
            Floyd Mayweather
            Vernon Forrest
            Roy Jones Jr
            George Foreman(The old Foreman in later age used his jab well to set up his power punchers, it wasnt fast or flashy, but it was accurate and stiff)

Not in no order, but a good list of fighters who had great Jab's.
            Last edited by Southpaw16BF; 07-20-2009, 08:53 PM.

Comment

Most dominant, the ones who used their jab most over any other weapon and were provenly dominant at doing so:

(those who made truly trademark of it)

Bob Foster
              Carlos Monzón
              Alexis Argüello
              Thomas Hearns
              Wladimir Klitschko
              Felix Trinidad
              Muhammad Ali
              Larry Holmes
              Sandy Saddler
              RJJ
              Michael Nunn
              Joe Louis

Comment

How could we all have forgot Winky?

De la Hoya, Trinidad, Barrera and Hopkins all have had good jabs too.

Comment

What i look for in a good jab is............feints, good snap and a variation with the jab, that is why im going to pick Holmes and Hearns.

Holmes used feints with the jab better than anyone ive seen, he could jab you for 15 rounds and dictate the fight with his jab and he was difficult to time because he feinted a lot of the time before he threw it, so it was difficult to time his rhythm to counter him.

Hearns used intimidate opponents with his power, just the thought of his right hand coming behind that left hand kept his opponents tentative and at the range he wanted them at, so he could pick them apart with the jab, plus like Holmes he used lots and lots of feints. Hearns in the centre of the ring dictating with his jab is hard to beat.

What also sets them apart is the poise they had with the jab. Roger Mayweather had a lot of poise with the jab imo, but not the chin to go with it. Im not saying he had a great jab but he had that poise with it that i see from Hearns and Holmes.

I would never pick Liston, because Liston might of had a strong left hand but he did not have the footwork to go with it to close the distance on good fighters, he reached with his left hand so badly in the first Ali fight that he pulled his shoulder out of the socket and then he got hit a counter right hand over the top of his jab in the second fight, again because he was reaching with it. You have to get you feet into position before you let a punch go, otherwise you are open for right hands over the top because you are punching from to far out.

Quartey had an excellent jab but the problem i have with Quartey's jab is.......yes he used it consistently but............he ALWAYS committed to it, which is as a good thing when you want to hurt the opponent or step in behind it with something big, but there are times when you are required not to commit to it, because then you can land it from further away.

Comment

Tyson had a excellent jab also, he just used it to get in. In which it's still a jab. As you know it's a lot harder to punch someone in close if you don't jab your way in. From my record Tyson destroyed a lot of ppl in close.

Comment

Working...
                    X