No announcement yet.

Home training

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home training

sup peeps? This is a good forum. Im a huge boxing fan, and i want to start boxing. Im 21, and yeh i know that might be a little old to start but im not lookin to become world champ or anything. But anyway my delimna is this. I go to school right now, and dont have that good of a job. The few gyms i have in my area are pretty expensive and i wont be able to afford them till im done with school and get a good job, which is about two years away. I have is a heavy bag and jump rope and some wieghts. What can i do at home to help me improve or to at least get me in boxing shape.

Originally posted by wetodd View Post
    sup peeps? This is a good forum. Im a huge boxing fan, and i want to start boxing. Im 21, and yeh i know that might be a little old to start but im not lookin to become world champ or anything. But anyway my delimna is this. I go to school right now, and dont have that good of a job. The few gyms i have in my area are pretty expensive and i wont be able to afford them till im done with school and get a good job, which is about two years away. I have is a heavy bag and jump rope and some wieghts. What can i do at home to help me improve or to at least get me in boxing shape.
    i'd reccomend 1-3 training sessions at the gym at first to get an idea of the basics. then take what you;'ve learned and work out at home til you can afford a monthly or yearly membership.

buy one of those self-timers (10 -30 bucks off titleboxing.com) so you can time rounds. run 36 minutes every other day at first, prefereably on grass or a track to save your knees. once your joints are ready, run every day. Warm up with three, 3 mintue rounds of jump rope with 30 second breaks.

work on heavybag for 3, 3 minute rounds with 30 sec break. work on combos and keeping your hands up i.e. 1 slip rightt; 1, 1 slip right; 1,2, slip left; 123 slip right, 232 slip left, 323 slip right; 456 slip left, 543 slip right. then all together 123456, slip left...

for your reference (assuming your orthodox, if your a lefty (southpaw then reverse left and right)
    1 - left jab
    2 - right cross
    3 - left hook
    4 - right uppercut
    5 - left uppercut
    6- right hook

for workout you can divide into 3 days a week with days off in between.

1) pushups/rows
    2) squats/leg presses
    3) dips/pullups

situps every day (stomach muscles are the only muscles that wont get fatigued from daily excercise)

also take notes on fights. what do you counter a left hook with. how do you box a southpaw. watch the greats and write it down...

watch clips of pros sadowboxing. shadowbox in front of a mirror working on punch technique. do it slow, then do it somewhere you have a lot of space incorporating movemen.

that should hold you over for now... good luck.

Comment

Wow, this is really helpful. Thanks for taking the time to post

Comment

Originally posted by mspiegelo View Post
        i'd reccomend 1-3 training sessions at the gym at first to get an idea of the basics. then take what you;'ve learned and work out at home til you can afford a monthly or yearly membership.

buy one of those self-timers (10 -30 bucks off titleboxing.com) so you can time rounds. run 36 minutes every other day at first, prefereably on grass or a track to save your knees. once your joints are ready, run every day. Warm up with three, 3 mintue rounds of jump rope with 30 second breaks.

work on heavybag for 3, 3 minute rounds with 30 sec break. work on combos and keeping your hands up i.e. 1 slip rightt; 1, 1 slip right; 1,2, slip left; 123 slip right, 232 slip left, 323 slip right; 456 slip left, 543 slip right. then all together 123456, slip left...

for your reference (assuming your orthodox, if your a lefty (southpaw then reverse left and right)
        1 - left jab
        2 - right cross
        3 - left hook
        4 - right uppercut
        5 - left uppercut
        6- right hook

for workout you can divide into 3 days a week with days off in between.

1) pushups/rows
        2) squats/leg presses
        3) dips/pullups

situps every day (stomach muscles are the only muscles that wont get fatigued from daily excercise)

also take notes on fights. what do you counter a left hook with. how do you box a southpaw. watch the greats and write it down...

watch clips of pros sadowboxing. shadowbox in front of a mirror working on punch technique. do it slow, then do it somewhere you have a lot of space incorporating movemen.

that should hold you over for now... good luck.
        The thing about the abdominal muscles being the only ones not affected by daily exercise is a myth. They do not differ fundamentally from other muscle groups, and can absolutely be overworked, just like any other muscle group.

I would agree with your inital assesment: Going to a gym is a must, if a person wants to box. Especially a complete beginner.

Comment

Originally posted by PunchDrunk View Post
          The thing about the abdominal muscles being the only ones not affected by daily exercise is a myth. They do not differ fundamentally from other muscle groups, and can absolutely be overworked, just like any other muscle group.

I would agree with your inital assesment: Going to a gym is a must, if a person wants to box. Especially a complete beginner.
          why does mayweather do 500 crunches then everyday?!? not trying to challenge you, just curious... i will be studying for my cscs soon, so i will discover the truth! thanks.

Comment

why does mayweather do 500 crunches then everyday?!? not trying to challenge you, just curious... i will be studying for my cscs soon, so i will discover the truth! thanks.
            Because he's in the 1% elite, fitness wise, in this world? The truth is he crunches aren't the only thing he does everyday. One of the things you have to do to become an elite practitioner in any sport, is to work on your fitness to the point where you can do extreme amounts of training. Professional cyclists ride their bikes 3 hours or more every day. Does that mean that leg muscles aren't affected by training every day? Of course not. They're just extremely talented individuals who have spent years and years getting to the point where they can do that. Same thing with Mayweather, he's been training for what, 20 years? No beginner can or should train like the elite, because it will lead to overtraining and injury, not to mention de-motivation. Hope that made sense

Comment

Because he's in the 1% elite, fitness wise, in this world? The truth is he crunches aren't the only thing he does everyday. One of the things you have to do to become an elite practitioner in any sport, is to work on your fitness to the point where you can do extreme amounts of training. Professional cyclists ride their bikes 3 hours or more every day. Does that mean that leg muscles aren't affected by training every day? Of course not. They're just extremely talented individuals who have spent years and years getting to the point where they can do that. Same thing with Mayweather, he's been training for what, 20 years? No beginner can or should train like the elite, because it will lead to overtraining and injury, not to mention de-motivation. Hope that made sense
              sure does. i do 500 crunches a day taking off sundays- but was worried for a sec. i only did 200 today after i read that (well 150 so far, one set of 50 left)... i am a raging psycho doing sets of pushups, rows, situps, and front/lat shoulder raises and checking boxingscene in between sets haha.... im about to do 15 minutes jump rope, shower and then time for klitschko baby!!!

anyway, i will ask my supervisor when i go to the gym mon (i work as a personal trainer) and learn more as i continue to study to get cscs certified. cheers.

Comment

sure does. i do 500 crunches a day taking off sundays- but was worried for a sec. i only did 200 today after i read that (well 150 so far, one set of 50 left)... i am a raging psycho doing sets of pushups, rows, situps, and front/lat shoulder raises and checking boxingscene in between sets haha.... im about to do 15 minutes jump rope, shower and then time for klitschko baby!!!

anyway, i will ask my supervisor when i go to the gym mon (i work as a personal trainer) and learn more as i continue to study to get cscs certified. cheers.
                Sounds good with the training!

Hmm, I don't know about over there, but over here personal trainers are usually some of the people perpetuating myths, due to those certifications being on a very dubious level... Anyway, there's nothing magic about the abdominals that makes them impervious to wear and tear from training.

Comment

Sounds good with the training!

Hmm, I don't know about over there, but over here personal trainers are usually some of the people perpetuating myths, due to those certifications being on a very dubious level... Anyway, there's nothing magic about the abdominals that makes them impervious to wear and tear from training.
                  Abdominals are extremely resistant to over training for the same reason calve muscles are. They are endurance muscles that spend all day supporting our body.

Same reason it is difficult to develop massive neck muscles, the neck already spends all day holding your head.

Comment

Originally posted by !! Shawn View Post
                    Abdominals are extremely resistant to over training for the same reason calve muscles are. They are endurance muscles that spend all day supporting our body.

Same reason it is difficult to develop massive neck muscles, the neck already spends all day holding your head.
                    This we can agree on, I think. It does depend on who you are and what kind of training you do. A beginner who is not used to training, can easily overreach on any kind of training, including the abs. When starting out, all muscles need more recovery than they do once you get into decent shape.
                    It would be easy to devise a program that would destroy anyones abs, including PBF, especially if you're hitting the abs every day with it.

Comment

Working...
                    X