No announcement yet.

Troubles with my boxing stance.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Troubles with my boxing stance.

Well my coach teaches me a stance that i dont feel comfortable in. Both my hands are beside my cheeks my head is tucked under my gloves, knees bent and feet are spreaded apart preety wide and i have trouble moving around in this stance. In this stance i feel like i have a preety good defense and i could bob and weave slip etc preety good but the bad thing for me in this stance is that my jab dosent feel as stiff and i dont have alot of flexablity/evasive/mobility in this stance. I cant throw a good a left hook and my footwork dosent seem as fast. My usual stance is my left hand is in the mid of my chest right hand on my right side of my cheek my feet isnt to far apart my knees are slighty bent. I usually bounce in this stance it makes my footwork much better and i can move real quick and i am more evasive in this stance and i just have a ton of flexablity in this stance and its more of a out-side boxer stance i can throw a good left hook and jab i feel real comfortable in my regular stance. BUT the thing is when my trainer catches me in this stance he flips out and tells me to put my hands up and go into the stance that he taught me i told him i cant box in this stance and he just rolls his eyes and tells me to keep working at it.

My stance - Roy Jones, Muhammad Ali Outside -boxer type stance
    My trainer- Miguel, cotto, Mike tyson inside boxer -type stance

I am a outside boxer but my trainer dosent get it.. what shall i do!? Any advice please post!

Just to give some perspective. I use your normal stance for long range boxing and your trainers stance for close range / toe to toe boxing. I use both, it depends on what i'm doing.

Comment

Unless I actually see it with my eyes, I can;t actually tell if you're stance it too long or too wide. I box on outside but still shorten my stance when I don't move around so I can get more power into my shots. A long stance simply cannot get you to bang in some shots, whereas a shorten stance does not really inhibit you from boxing on outside.

Comment

exactly, my trainer stance is more toe to toe boxing thing is he makes me stay in it the whole sparring session. Even when im on the outside, i like being flexable on the outside so i can throw a left hook lead or a right hand lead then come back with a digging left hook to the body. Its hard to do that in my trainers stance because i lack footwork in that form.

Comment

Originally posted by SeattleProdigy View Post
          exactly, my trainer stance is more toe to toe boxing thing is he makes me stay in it the whole sparring session. Even when im on the outside, i like being flexable on the outside so i can throw a left hook lead or a right hand lead then come back with a digging left hook to the body. Its hard to do that in my trainers stance because i lack footwork in that form.
          Which gym do you train at? I'm in Seattle as well.. and I don't know many trainers who teach there fighters to fight like this. One of my friends started going to the gym awhile ago and my trainer immediately picked up on his ability to bob and weave so they had him train a Miguel Cotto-ish style as well, and even though he also said it felt kind of funny, it worked out in the end.

Comment

Working...
          X