Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mikey fans, Is Mikey Making the Biggest Blunder in Boxing?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not at all.

Nothing unheard of here. When it was first announced, I thought Mikey would be slaughtered. Don't see any of that happening. It's not a walk in the park for Spence, although Mikey might sustain a few broken ribs and a bruised face in the end. Spence isn't invincible, nobody is.

I also think Spence is draining himself squeezing down to welter. 60/40 Spence. Doesn't matter who wins to me.

Comment

I don't think Mikey is as small as we make him out to be. When they asked Crawford, he basically said that. He said Mikey was always big for his weight, even when they fought in the amateurs at 132. He has a Canelo type frame where he's stocky and dense.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Trick-Pony View Post
        I mean, I'm a Lomachenko fan and for me, this is like Lomachenko moving up to challenge Spence and there's no way I think he would win that. I have no desire to see it, either. Honestly it would make no sense to make such a fight. Just wondering if Mikey fans honestly think this is a good move or if it will ruin him in the end? This is not even a good strategy. Duran moved up to fight Leonard but had several fights at 147 first. Loma moved up to fight Linares in his first lightweight fight, but it was a 5-pound leap and Linares doesn't hit like Spence at all. For that matter, neither did Leonard. I don't know. This just seems dumb all the way around. If you guys think this is a good idea, why?

Many fans get irritated when fighters opt for low risk/high reward options. In this case, Mikey went for high risk/HUGE reward and no1 should knock him for it especially his "so called" fans. I am sure as a Loma fan you would be nervous about Loma taking the risk but youd root for him & believe more and more in him as fight week goes on. No difference really in a Garcia fan.

Mikey gains a lot of his confidence from his stable of fighters he trains with in his gym. Mikey has a good team around him and I am sure it also adds to the confidence.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie2Jabs View Post
          Don’t know what you’re referencing for this supposed ego. Rigo was P4P higher than Loma and many more weeks as well, let alone accomplished Lineal. He requested a catchweight as one should between two fighters. He didn’t tell Loma to go to 122. Loma told Rigo to go to 126.

It’s obvious which fighter had the ego. Telling Rigo to go to him when he accomplished less and already a loss. Not sure you understand what ego means.
          Haha. Rigo quit with a fake hand injury. I'd say that's a massive ego. He didn't want to admit that he just quit because he was frustrated. Loma didn't even want the fight. He knew it was pointless and took zero credit for it. All fighters have egos but Loma's was not an egotistical move but this thread isn't even about Loma. Don't know why you're injecting him into this discussion. Get back to Spence-Mikey.

Comment

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
            Didn't read the whole thing because I could tell right away that you're one of these soccer fan types who puts "loyalty" above honesty and intelligent discussion. I can be a fan and still be honest. You cheerleaders will never understand people who are BOXING fans foremost and fans of certain fighters second.

Well, that settles that. Good post, Redd!!

Comment

Originally posted by .!WAR MIKEY! View Post
              No Guts No Glory! Plain And Simple.

The only thing is the size lmfao, so much more to the sweet science than size. Yes the bigger man usually win those type of matches but not against GREAT fighter though and thats what mikey is, he not just a good or better than the average fighter he is a great fighter. Look at what everyone says, its all "I THINK SPENCE IS TOO BIG....... BUT..... IF MIKEY CAN HANDLE THE SIZE" lmfao.

I just hope james throws the towel when the time comes and save Spence so he can still have a future outside of the ring.

War Mikey!

Comment

Originally posted by Boxfan83 View Post
                Many fans get irritated when fighters opt for low risk/high reward options. In this case, Mikey went for high risk/HUGE reward and no1 should knock him for it especially his "so called" fans. I am sure as a Loma fan you would be nervous about Loma taking the risk but youd root for him & believe more and more in him as fight week goes on. No difference really in a Garcia fan.

Mikey gains a lot of his confidence from his stable of fighters he trains with in his gym. Mikey has a good team around him and I am sure it also adds to the confidence.
                Oh I'd be nervous and root for Loma against Mikey or a 140-pound champion but if Loma signed to fight Spence, I'd shake my head and probably wouldn't watch. Haha. I guess I just see it as situation where Mikey chose to go in over his head. I mean, there's driving to the edge and testing the brakes. This just looks like driving off the cliff. Maybe I'm wrong. We'll see soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Granath View Post
                  Tell Kell Brook there's no risk.
                  Tell RJJ there's no risk.

Look, I don't know if Mikey is making a mistake or not. None of us know until we see the outcome of the fight. But there is a substantial risk both physically and mentally in making a leap in weight classes like this.

Kell Brook got his eye busted in a fight with a much larger guy and that may permanently impact his ability to fight.

RJJ went up in weight to win the HW crown but lost his elite speed and was never the same fighter afterward.

It takes guts to do what he's doing. But whether or not it's smart is an entirely different story.
                  Yeah, I don't think it's a smart move at all. I loved Spence's reply to him at the face off about how he should have listened to his trainers. Haha. I think he's right. This may be gutsy but it's also dumb. I mean, there should be a happy medium to me. If he challenged Crawford, I can see that. Crawford is not a natural welter and I see it as 50/50 or a slight edge for TC who's had more experience at the weight, which is another thing. This is Mikey's first welter fight ever. Just not smart to go for too much too quick. I don't see it ending well but we'll see.

Comment

It's enviable whenever a guy chases greatness

I only hope Mikey doesn't get fubar'd

I expect him to lose. Maybe it will be similar to Tito vs Vargas. Action wise.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie2Jabs View Post
                      Don’t know what you’re referencing for this supposed ego. Rigo was P4P higher than Loma and many more weeks as well, let alone accomplished Lineal. He requested a catchweight as one should between two fighters. He didn’t tell Loma to go to 122. Loma told Rigo to go to 126.

It’s obvious which fighter had the ego. Telling Rigo to go to him when he accomplished less and already a loss. Not sure you understand what ego means.
                      Dude. How long have you been watching boxing?

Lomachenko didnt give a **** about rigo and when he won, still didn't give a ****.

His answer was the same before AND after the fight. That fight meant nothing to him because Rigo is not his weight category. It was for the fans.

And I hear that you're on of his fans and that you probably talked a lot if **** like all of his other fans. "Not afraid". Talked so much **** until the fight and then just disappeared.

Toss on top that you have to lie and say that Rigo is not a natural 122lber. Come on. The dude had like a 4 inch reach advantage and got TOTALLY dominated.

Lomachenko literally killed Rigos career.

How could Lomachenko have an ego when he didnt even care for the fight? Tell me dude.

Quit lying out of your ass.

Comment

Working...
                      X