Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boxing vs Olympic wrestling (what would you rather learn for hand to hand combat)?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boxing vs Olympic wrestling (what would you rather learn for hand to hand combat)?

What would you rather learn for no ruled, hand to hand combat if you had to choose between these two combat disciplines? Mainly for battle fields or fight to death situations where no weapons are available.
    Boxing
    68.75%
    Olympic wrestling (all of them)
    31.25%

Boxing but that's just my preference wrestling can be effective too

Comment

I tried to learn wrestling as a kid. Michigan is pretty huge with wrestling, in particular where I grew up in Michigan. Wasn't into it too gay for me.

Even today while I enjoy MMA I can't get into the wrestling aspect of it. The BJJ stuff I can understand cuz you are trying to choke someone out or break their arm while on the ground with them. The wrestling stuff is just rolling around & laying on a mfer.

So I'd definitely wanna learn boxing over wrestling personally + it just fits my body type too. I think longer, leaner mfers have boxer bodies & short solid mfers have wrestling bodies. I'm longer & leaner (although not THAT lean these days).

Comment

Both can be equally effective, if you are trained in boxing you can hit and avoid get hit till your opponent goes down then you can just stomp on their head. Wrestling I can just go in take you down get in a dominant position and just beat their head into the ground. It depends on who you fight and their skill level in fighting

Comment

Originally posted by Johnston View Post
          Both can be equally effective, if you are trained in boxing you can hit and avoid get hit till your opponent goes down then you can just stomp on their head. Wrestling I can just go in take you down get in a dominant position and just beat their head into the ground. It depends on who you fight and their skill level in fighting
          Agreed with it all, that last point is especially true.

If you were talking about what's better for defense in a street situation against untrained guys looking to start chit, then boxing, no question. Can't wrestle 3 guys at once, but you can pop them all in the mouth pretty quick

Comment

Originally posted by Shontae De'marc View Post
            Agreed with it all, that last point is especially true.

If you were talking about what's better for defense in a street situation against untrained guys looking to start chit, then boxing, no question. Can't wrestle 3 guys at once, but you can pop them all in the mouth pretty quick
            Yea it really all depends on the situation, depending on the circumstances I could pick either.

Comment

both would be ideal...but in most cases, the wrestling is gonna be a more effective advantage.

Comment

If you replace Wrestling with BJJ I'd take BJJ over Boxing as it relates to Street Fights. Truth is you should really be balanced in both though.

Comment

Hitting is faster than holding. And using wrestling can be dangerous against more than 1 opponent or someone who has any type of melee weapon (especially a knife). But learn some in-fight to counter wrestlers

Comment

I think smaller guys would benefit more from wrestling tbh.

Its a great neutralizer in a street fight.

Comment

Working...
                    X