Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sonny Liston vs the heavyweights of the last decade or so???

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He would blast them all. Even Lennox at that point.

Comment

2003 Lennox was semi shot and very unmotivated. Prime Liston would have knocked out the Lewis who sliced up Vitali.. (Since that was the only 2003 version which exists of Lewis)

Of course Lennox being Lennox (even a old wounded one) will still put up a very interesting fight....

That being said.. I will only pick 1-2 versions of Liston over the 2003 Version of Lennox.. I will pick MULTIPLE versions of Lewis over Prime Liston.

Comment

Honestly I know the moderator doesn't agree but my assessment of Liston beforehand in the history section I stand by completely. The list of fighters you put forth has a considerable amount of talent. Virtually I give Liston little to no chance against any of them really.

Let's pick someone mundane like Eddie Chambers as an example. Imo Chambers outboxes Liston any day a week. You are taking the champ of one of the sports weakest divisions and pitting him objectively against atleast one of it's most strongest contenders.

That the current era is strong is really a no brainer. They are the heftiest opposition on average, they have demonstratably better records against real HW opponents. They have all fought at some point opponents that were talent wise undreamed of in Liston's times.

Liston's record when broken down is clear. He beat up cruisers and opponents who were on loss streaks or had bum records or a combination thereof. WITHOUT EXCEPTION.

The only time Liston met what we would today consider a decent opponent he lost!

The video evidence of Liston when broken down shows conclusively he was a plodder. It shows uncoordination and painful slowness compared to modern HW. The closest comparison that can be drawn in reality is Purrity.

Personally I consider Liston a poor mans version of Ross Puritty but each to their own.

In the end Liston is history. If you prefer to pump Liston up and rubbish present day boxers in light of this kind of comparison it's up to you. But the facts are there if you care to look and speak for themselves.

Imo he had decent punchers chance against some on the list, such as the former CW's, and little against the bigger boys. He would almost invariably be knocked out!

The surest way to tell is to ask yourself "If Liston and McCline were put in the same ring and you had a gun put to your head and aked to pick the winner and your life depended on it" would you really pick Liston? Think about it! Nobody who really made a proper assessment could really answer yes!

Comment

Originally posted by marvelousmatt View Post
          He was a pretty good HW but not great.Very big puncher,not a great HW..a better version of Sam Peter or Ernie Shavers.

He beat a LHW for the HW Championship then lost twice to over-rated Ali.After that he couldn't land a big fight as he paid off his prison promises to the mob.

Sanders would KO him.
          Haye might have a shot. Lewis would expose him.

He would probably beat 75 % of the above listed fighters or so but most of those fights would be fun as Liston had an "English Chin." P.S I know he is from U.S.

I normally don't want to hijack other people's post like this, but I just had to do something here. Liston was not "pretty good", Liston was a serious serious guy, that was ducked by the champion for ages. You mention that he beat Floyd Patterson I presume it was, for the title, yet even before that, his resume was quite clearly better than Floyd's and he was already, by most, considered the best HW on the planet, and certainly the most feared. Problem was that Floyd's manager Cus Damato knew Sonny would smash Floyd so he kept him away from him for 3-4 years.

Now, Liston is probably in top 5 genuine punchers of all times. Fighters would swallow their teeth after feeling a soft jab from him. Tough guys like Cleveland Williams, who could punch like a mule kicks, and big guys like Zora Folley got destroyed by Liston.

With regards to overrated ali? I'm not exactly sure what you mean there, but even though he lost, he was 36-37 even though his official age was 32, and had barely trained seriously for the fight, having believed his own hype too much and that Clay was just a silly loudmouth kid.

Liston was a great fighter, much more scientific than new-age fans give him credit for. Amazing jab, exceptional reach, good footwork, killer right hand - literally - and a good boxing brain. To say anything else is simply uneducated, and it certainly doesn't matter how much Floyd weighed, because he was just another victim on Liston's resume. A lot of people go on today about how big the HW divisions fighters are. Are they really? I seem to remember Vitali's best win being a CW/LHW. Add Gomez, Sosnowski to that list as well. Wlad's best win is Byrd or Haye, incidentally also two fighters who used to fight at lower weightclasses. Add Eddie Chambers to that list.

That being said, and I really think you should educate youself a bit more on Liston, he would have trouble with a few of these fighters. Lennox being one of course. I'd have liked to see Ike as well on the list.

I'd give Liston the edge on anybody else, including Sanders for sure. He'd be gone in a couple of rounds max.

Comment

*****. '03 Lewis?

.....either way. Against a prime Liston, an 03 Lewis was going down. Sorry. I misread that. I have nothing but respect for Lennox Lewis; but if he's 38, he's not making it to the final bell against a 30 year old Liston. Not happening.

Comment

his jab stands helps him stand the test of time. he would do well in any era.

The only person that gives him problems is lennox but its just because of the obvious physical advantages. he beats the whole list except lennox and maybe chris byrd could give him problems but he can ko both just as easily.

Comment

Originally posted by LacedUp View Post
                I normally don't want to hijack other people's post like this, but I just had to do something here. Liston was not "pretty good", Liston was a serious serious guy, that was ducked by the champion for ages. You mention that he beat Floyd Patterson I presume it was, for the title, yet even before that, his resume was quite clearly better than Floyd's and he was already, by most, considered the best HW on the planet, and certainly the most feared. Problem was that Floyd's manager Cus Damato knew Sonny would smash Floyd so he kept him away from him for 3-4 years.

Now, Liston is probably in top 5 genuine punchers of all times. Fighters would swallow their teeth after feeling a soft jab from him. Tough guys like Cleveland Williams, who could punch like a mule kicks, and big guys like Zora Folley got destroyed by Liston.

With regards to overrated ali? I'm not exactly sure what you mean there, but even though he lost, he was 36-37 even though his official age was 32, and had barely trained seriously for the fight, having believed his own hype too much and that Clay was just a silly loudmouth kid.

Liston was a great fighter, much more scientific than new-age fans give him credit for. Amazing jab, exceptional reach, good footwork, killer right hand - literally - and a good boxing brain. To say anything else is simply uneducated, and it certainly doesn't matter how much Floyd weighed, because he was just another victim on Liston's resume. A lot of people go on today about how big the HW divisions fighters are. Are they really? I seem to remember Vitali's best win being a CW/LHW. Add Gomez, Sosnowski to that list as well. Wlad's best win is Byrd or Haye, incidentally also two fighters who used to fight at lower weightclasses. Add Eddie Chambers to that list.

That being said, and I really think you should educate youself a bit more on Liston, he would have trouble with a few of these fighters. Lennox being one of course. I'd have liked to see Ike as well on the list.

I'd give Liston the edge on anybody else, including Sanders for sure. He'd be gone in a couple of rounds max.
                Liston had a very good jab with good power but he was a plodder with a glass jaw.I have watched Liston many times and Sanders would KO him easily. Liston had average at best footwork and was easy to hit. Soutpaws would be nightmares for Liston's stance and posture when he fought. I have Liston rated as a world class fighter who had tons of problems with fighters that could move or give angles. Therefore the list that was posted had some fighters on it that could beat Liston.I'd take Haye by decision and Lewis ATG HW #3 by KO.Sanders is all wrong for Liston. Liston was no world beater and was controlled by the mob.He aslo took a dive in the ring. He disgraced all of us who have ever even had the balls to spar in a ring.

Comment

Originally posted by Tommo1 View Post
                  Honestly I know the moderator doesn't agree but my assessment of Liston beforehand in the history section I stand by completely. The list of fighters you put forth has a considerable amount of talent. Virtually I give Liston little to no chance against any of them really.

Let's pick someone mundane like Eddie Chambers as an example. Imo Chambers outboxes Liston any day a week. You are taking the champ of one of the sports weakest divisions and pitting him objectively against atleast one of it's most strongest contenders.

That the current era is strong is really a no brainer. They are the heftiest opposition on average, they have demonstratably better records against real HW opponents. They have all fought at some point opponents that were talent wise undreamed of in Liston's times.

Liston's record when broken down is clear. He beat up cruisers and opponents who were on loss streaks or had bum records or a combination thereof. WITHOUT EXCEPTION.

The only time Liston met what we would today consider a decent opponent he lost!

The video evidence of Liston when broken down shows conclusively he was a plodder. It shows uncoordination and painful slowness compared to modern HW. The closest comparison that can be drawn in reality is Purrity.

Personally I consider Liston a poor mans version of Ross Puritty but each to their own.

In the end Liston is history. If you prefer to pump Liston up and rubbish present day boxers in light of this kind of comparison it's up to you. But the facts are there if you care to look and speak for themselves.

Imo he had decent punchers chance against some on the list, such as the former CW's, and little against the bigger boys. He would almost invariably be knocked out!

The surest way to tell is to ask yourself "If Liston and McCline were put in the same ring and you had a gun put to your head and aked to pick the winner and your life depended on it" would you really pick Liston? Think about it! Nobody who really made a proper assessment could really answer yes!
                  why bother writing so much built on drivel of an opinion? surely its more economical just to write 'I am klittard so Liston loses'.

or just tko6, for instance.

Comment

Originally posted by Tommo1 View Post

+1

Comment

Originally posted by marvelousmatt View Post
                      Liston had a very good jab with good power but he was a plodder with a glass jaw.I have watched Liston many times and Sanders would KO him easily. Liston had average at best footwork and was easy to hit. Soutpaws would be nightmares for Liston's stance and posture when he fought. I have Liston rated as a world class fighter who had tons of problems with fighters that could move or give angles. Therefore the list that was posted had some fighters on it that could beat Liston.I'd take Haye by decision and Lewis ATG HW #3 by KO.Sanders is all wrong for Liston. Liston was no world beater and was controlled by the mob.He aslo took a dive in the ring. He disgraced all of us who have ever even had the balls to spar in a ring.

Not only is this post extremely contradictory, but it is also incorrect and you have poorly analyzed the situation at the time.

I have nothing else to add.

Comment

Working...
                      X