This took some work:

1890s: Bob Fitzsimmons, Peter Jackson, "Barbados Demon" Joe Walcott

1900s: Joe Gans, Abe Attell, Stanley Ketchel

1910s: Sam Langford, Kid Lewis, Jimmy Wilde

1920s: Harry Greb, Benny Leonard, Gene Tunney

1930s: Henry Armstrong, Joe Louis, Tony Canzoneri

1940s: Sugar Ray Robinson, Ezzard Charles, Willie Pep

1950s: Sugar Ray Robinson, Archie Moore, Sandy Saddler

1960s: Eder Jofre, Dick Tiger, Vicente Saldivar (Tough call to leave Ali off)

1970s: Muhammad Ali, Roberto Duran, Carlos Monzon (Plenty of near-misses here, particularly Wilfredo Gomez and Alexis Arguello)

1980s: Sugar Ray Leonard, Larry Holmes, Marvelous Marvin Hagler

1990s: Pernell Whitaker, Julio Cesar Chavez Sr., Ricardo Lopez (Oh, you have a problem with me ranking Lopez above RJJ? We can take this outside if you wish, but it's my list and my call.

2000s: Floyd Mayweather Jr., Manny Pacquiao, Bernard Hopkins

2010s: Floyd Mayweather Jr. still reigns supreme; I think Andre Ward has done enough to be in the top 3 of the last 3.5 years; and I'm going to go with Sergio Martinez over the Klitschkos.

Comment

Originally posted by SBleeder View Post
      This took some work:

1890s: Bob Fitzsimmons, Peter Jackson, "Barbados Demon" Joe Walcott

1900s: Joe Gans, Abe Attell, Stanley Ketchel

1910s: Sam Langford, Kid Lewis, Jimmy Wilde

1920s: Harry Greb, Benny Leonard, Gene Tunney

1930s: Henry Armstrong, Joe Louis, Tony Canzoneri

1940s: Sugar Ray Robinson, Ezzard Charles, Willie Pep

1950s: Sugar Ray Robinson, Archie Moore, Sandy Saddler

1960s: Eder Jofre, Dick Tiger, Vicente Saldivar (Tough call to leave Ali off)

1970s: Muhammad Ali, Roberto Duran, Carlos Monzon (Plenty of near-misses here, particularly Wilfredo Gomez and Alexis Arguello)

1980s: Sugar Ray Leonard, Larry Holmes, Marvelous Marvin Hagler

1990s: Pernell Whitaker, Julio Cesar Chavez Sr., Ricardo Lopez (Oh, you have a problem with me ranking Lopez above RJJ? We can take this outside if you wish, but it's my list and my call.

2000s: Floyd Mayweather Jr., Manny Pacquiao, Bernard Hopkins

2010s: Floyd Mayweather Jr. still reigns supreme; I think Andre Ward has done enough to be in the top 3 of the last 3.5 years; and I'm going to go with Sergio Martinez over the Klitschkos.
      nice list very good fighters but it is hard to keep jack Johnson and jack Dempsey off although you have picked great replacements

Comment

Hmm, okay, here's my initial gut reaction:

70's: Ali, Monzon, & Duran
        80's: Hagler, Leonard, & Arguello
        90's Whittaker, Jones Jr., and Lewis
        00's: Mayweather Jr., Pacquiao, & daylight

Comment

Chavez and De La Hoya and Trinidad I think should have been in there somewhere....hmmm. I'm gonna have to sleep on this one. It's just ....damn, this is hard.

Comment

00s: Joe Gans, Abe Attell, Stanley Ketchel

10s: Sam Langford, Ted Kid Lewis, Jimmy Wilde

20s: Harry Greb, Ben Leonard, Mickey Walker

30s: Armstrong, Joe Louis, Barney Ross

40s: Robinson, Charles, Pep

50s: Robinson, Moore, Saddler

60s: Saldivar, Carlos Ortiz, Jofre/Harada

70s: Ali, Duran, Monzon

80s: Leonard, Larry Holmes, Hagler

90s: Pernell Whitaker, Roy Jones, Oscar De La Hoya

00s: Mayweather, Pacquiao, Hopkins/Lennox Lewis

I badly want to rate Ike Williams over Saddler for the 50s and I think he has a case. The others are pretty clear cut though IMO

Comment

In order

70s:
              Ali
              Monzon
              Duran

80s:
              Leonard
              Spinks
              Holmes or Hagler

90s:
              Jones
              McCallum
              Chavez

00s:
              Hopkins
              Barrera
              Pacquiao
              Last edited by SCtrojansbaby; 06-28-2013, 02:21 PM.

Comment

All the lists represent very well;
                The most widely known names in the history of boxing should mean something when you think of every corner of the world at a specific time in Boxings History!
                To leave out Jack Dempsey just doesn't cut it to me. During Jacks time he was easily more popular than Babe Ruth or Ty Cobb and his name was known all over the civilized world!

The only athlete to match and surpass that is ALI! Ali's face at one time was THE most recognized face in the entire world! No mans face was more popular than Ali's!

At one time the Heavyweight Champion was the Crowned Best & Greatest Athlete in the World!..............................where did that go? Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
                  All the lists represent very well;
                  The most widely known names in the history of boxing should mean something when you think of every corner of the world at a specific time in Boxings History!
                  To leave out Jack Dempsey just doesn't cut it to me. During Jacks time he was easily more popular than Babe Ruth or Ty Cobb and his name was known all over the civilized world!

The only athlete to match and surpass that is ALI! Ali's face at one time was THE most recognized face in the entire world! No mans face was more popular than Ali's!

At one time the Heavyweight Champion was the Crowned Best & Greatest Athlete in the World!..............................where did that go? Ray.
                  Dempsey was a sideshow freak once he won the title. That's not how a champion or the greatest athlete in the world acts. Ducked Wills for how long?

Sorry, just no.

Comment

I'm passing along how he was viewed THEN! Not what you think you know reading boxing forums. Theres do's & don't's that weren't cross back in the that time!If you think along modern times your not grasping the days from the beginning of that century!
                    I understand you think you know the history of the day but your referencing the feelings now! After Johnson business was conducted differently and the fighters "feelings" were NOT part of the equation!
                    Dempseys best was before he got the gold but my point was he was THE most popular athlete of his time and theres NO disputing that!!
                    Ray

Comment

I don't give a hell how popular he was. If I cared so much about that I'd have put Tyson in my 80s category.

Comment

Working...
                      X