Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gonna start running.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm a similar height and just a few pounds heavier. I began my running by starting with a 1.3 mile circuit around the local park. Always time yourself and try to improve your times.

I now genuinely enjoy running distances upto half marathon.

You'll show improvement after a few days. I find that running while listening to an MP3 player helps.

As you improve you should naturally want to extend your distance. See how you get on and post up a few updates, I'll keep an eye open for your posts.

Comment

Originally posted by Sugarj View Post
      I'm a similar height and just a few pounds heavier. I began my running by starting with a 1.3 mile circuit around the local park. Always time yourself and try to improve your times.

I now genuinely enjoy running distances upto half marathon.

You'll show improvement after a few days. I find that running while listening to an MP3 player helps.

As you improve you should naturally want to extend your distance. See how you get on and post up a few updates, I'll keep an eye open for your posts.
      D: Oh man, you beat me by 0.4 miles!

And thank you for the advice!

Comment

Blargh, didn't do so great IMO. Ran about 0.9 miles in...5 minutes before my thighs and lungs began to burn like a- yeah.

Comment

Hi Yodaman. If you seriously ran 0.9 miles in five minutes........thats a superb beginner time!

Perhaps too good for a beginner! Did you do well in cross country running or track and field at school?

Your time roughly equates to five minutes thirty for a mile. Most beginners struggle to get their first mile in under seven minutes.

Needless to say I'd check your distance measurement, but if it checks out you have a great base of fitness to take into amateur boxing.

See how fast it takes you to do 4 x 400 metre laps of a local track. If your time comes up between 5 and 6 minutes, you are right on the money!!!

Comment

Around 2:30am this morning I went on a 4 mile run with boxing gloves, on the highway. At the 1 mile mark I stopped in front of a large business and began working my jab and shooting in the cross every 10 or so jabs. Working on footwork, jabbing, moving.

A cop passes, more or less slams his brakes lol, I kept doing what I was doing.

I get back on the road resume my roadwork, get about 1.5 miles up the road and decided to work my jab at Raising Canes, because I wanted to sit and take a 1 minute break between 2 rounds of mild shadowboxing.

across the street at a gas station, 3 cops and a k-9 unit backed in watching me what I was doing. I just ignored them and kept doing what I was doing, rested and did it again for 3 minutes. Then I just worked my jab for a little bit in the parking lot...they didn't leave. They were there for a total of 15 minutes all in their cars watching me...lol, if I ever decide to be a cop which I won't, they'll remember the nut who ran in the middle of the night with boxing gloves on that's for damn sure

but I know cops respect boxing, at least cops who aren't douchers.

why did I run at 2:30 with gloves?

cuz hernandez prolly didn't and that's why im gonna smash him.

Comment

Originally posted by Sugarj View Post
              Hi Yodaman. If you seriously ran 0.9 miles in five minutes........thats a superb beginner time!

Perhaps too good for a beginner! Did you do well in cross country running or track and field at school?

Your time roughly equates to five minutes thirty for a mile. Most beginners struggle to get their first mile in under seven minutes.

Needless to say I'd check your distance measurement, but if it checks out you have a great base of fitness to take into amateur boxing.

See how fast it takes you to do 4 x 400 metre laps of a local track. If your time comes up between 5 and 6 minutes, you are right on the money!!!
              R-really? I was always really bad at running. Last time I ran a mile was about a year ago, and that took me roughly 8.5 minutes. D:

And if only there were a local track anywhere near my place. Well, I suppose I could just go to my high school's and use their's. They wouldn't mind, right? Nahhh.

Comment

Originally posted by Frighteous View Post
                Around 2:30am this morning I went on a 4 mile run with boxing gloves, on the highway. At the 1 mile mark I stopped in front of a large business and began working my jab and shooting in the cross every 10 or so jabs. Working on footwork, jabbing, moving.

A cop passes, more or less slams his brakes lol, I kept doing what I was doing.

I get back on the road resume my roadwork, get about 1.5 miles up the road and decided to work my jab at Raising Canes, because I wanted to sit and take a 1 minute break between 2 rounds of mild shadowboxing.

across the street at a gas station, 3 cops and a k-9 unit backed in watching me what I was doing. I just ignored them and kept doing what I was doing, rested and did it again for 3 minutes. Then I just worked my jab for a little bit in the parking lot...they didn't leave. They were there for a total of 15 minutes all in their cars watching me...lol, if I ever decide to be a cop which I won't, they'll remember the nut who ran in the middle of the night with boxing gloves on that's for damn sure

but I know cops respect boxing, at least cops who aren't douchers.

why did I run at 2:30 with gloves?

cuz hernandez prolly didn't and that's why im gonna smash him.
                D: O-oh wow. No cops around where I live, so no random men/women with badges and guns watchin' me while I run.

Comment

Originally posted by yodamann View Post
                  Endurance.

And I plan on joinin' a boxing gym sometime next month so...yeah.
                  personally, i think you should jog until you have to stop, walk until you can run again and repeat. do this until you can jog your desired distance and then you can start mixing in intervals and such.

that's just me.

Comment

Originally posted by Tim Horton View Post
                    personally, i think you should jog until you have to stop, walk until you can run again and repeat. do this until you can jog your desired distance and then you can start mixing in intervals and such.

that's just me.
                    Sounds like a plan, I'll try it out tonight.

Comment

Hi Yodamann,

I doubt your old school would have any problems at all with you using their track in the evenings. Most schools encourage this sort of thing.........and you'll get an accurate distance measurement.

Comment

Working...
                      X