Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Floyd Mayweather jr. v Manny Pacquiao winner - the greatest?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Floyd Mayweather jr. v Manny Pacquiao winner - the greatest?

Okay, so I know this will be a controversial issue that will be brought up innumerable times in the up-coming months (forgive me if there's even a thread on it already)

In your opinion, does the winner of this monumental fight become the greater of the two by default? In other words does directly proving they are the better fighter, also mean their legacy is greater?

I can see an argument being made that even if Pacquiao loses to Floyd, he still has the better resume and is thus greater. It's something I disagree with myself but, like I said, I can see it being argued.

I disagree because even now after what some view as Pacquiao beating Floyd's two best wins, better than he did (though others may view it as Pacquiao feeding on Floyd's left-overs), I consider their legacies pretty even and tough to seperate; and either one of their scalps will be a heavy tipping factor on the other's resume. Wins over ATG's are hard to come by you see

If weight is a large issue to you, then reply under the assumption that the fight will happen at between 140lbs and 144lbs

So... Your thoughts?

If the fight happens at 140-144 then you're right that it will be a heavy factor when you ultimately have to judge their legacies. The result of the fight will not necessarily however create the pecking order as both men still should and could fight other excellent fighters.

Comment

Originally posted by BattlingNelson View Post
      If the fight happens at 140-144 then you're right that it will be a heavy factor when you ultimately have to judge their legacies. The result of the fight will not necessarily however create the pecking order as both men still should and could fight other excellent fighters.
      Do you reckon there's a possibility of a rematch and maybe even a trilogy between the two?

(I think if Floyd loses there will definitely be a rematch)

And if so, does it give the win(s) even more sway over legacies?

Comment

Originally posted by S.G. View Post
        Do you reckon there's a possibility of a rematch and maybe even a trilogy between the two?

(I think if Floyd loses there will definitely be a rematch)

And if so, does it give the win(s) even more sway over legacies?
        Because I'm just wondering, if their careers will be tied up (assuming this fight happens before Cotto gets involved in the mix) till the end

I think it could go:

Pacman v Floyd

Pacman v Floyd II

3a.?
        Pacman v Floyd III

3b.
        i.
        Floyd[after losing] v Mosley
        OR
        Pacman[after losing] v Marquez III
        ii.
        [winner of Pacman v Floyd] v Cotto

4a.?
        [winner of 3b. i] v [loser of 3b. ii]

end.

I mean, if it happens something like this, do you think it's really possible for the loser to redeem themselves to the extent that they will overtake the winner?

(sorry for the over-complex way of putting it, I should have just drawn a chart on MS Paint :| )
        Last edited by S.G.; 05-04-2009, 09:45 AM.

Comment

this could go the SRL, Hearns, Hagler and Duran route...

all three have wins over roberto, and could claim they were better skilled but duran trumps them ATG...

as of now PAC has accomplished more than PBF and now that he is back its in Floyds hands to upend Manny...

Comment

Originally posted by BattlingNelson View Post
            Translation: I know Mayweather would win that fight, so no, this fight wouldn't determine who the greatest is.

The Batman!
            Last edited by Kevin Jesus; 05-04-2009, 09:57 AM.

Comment

If Floyd has the WW lineal title by the time they fight and Manny beats him and gets an unprecedented 7th world title and 5th lineal, I would consider him the best ever.

If not, Manny has to beat Floyd and then take Shane's title and then he would be considered, in my opinion, the GOAT, considering he came from 106, that's just hard to argue with. If Manny just beats Floyd, maybe in the top 5 - 10.

Floyd beating Manny doesn't make him the best ever. Floyd beating Manny, then PWill might. Manny and Pwill are the only two I consider true P4P material at this time, considering they fight all over different divisions at will.

Comment

Originally posted by JOM'S View Post
                this could go the SRL, Hearns, Hagler and Duran route...

all three have wins over roberto, and could claim they were better skilled but duran trumps them ATG...
                silly of me to pass over the whole Duran comparison. Yes, that makes sense and is very plausible

Originally posted by JOM'S View Post
                as of now PAC has accomplished more than PBF and now that he is back its in Floyds hands to upend Manny...
                how about in the hypothetical situation of the day after Floyd beats Manny, will Pacquiao still be considered to have accomplished more?

I think Manny's name on Floyd's resume trumps any name on Manny's, and vice versa of course

Comment

Pac has already proven himself as greater imo. If they fight at jr WW, then it's very big and Mr boat buyer should get cred for a win. Would that put him back over Pac as gr8er overall? Maybe slightly.

Comment

Originally posted by mangler View Post
                    Pac has already proven himself as greater imo. If they fight at jr WW, then it's very big and Mr boat buyer should get cred for a win. Would that put him back over Pac as gr8er overall? Maybe slightly.
                    i can totally understand the reasoning behind people maintaining that pacquiao will keep his place

but something about actually being proven to be inferior in the ultimate decider: a head to head fight, and still remaining above the guy who beat you, doesn't sit right with me

and it's not as if it'll be a jofre v harada situation... in mayweather v pacquiao there is no possible "underdog victory"

Comment

Working...
                    X